Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Doomsday Clock: This was hyped so much and almost nothing came out of it. Geoff Johns gave us back the pre-Crisis and New 52 universes and DC just straight up threw them away. I don't know what this was supposed to accomplish but whatever it was, it didn't. I guarantee none of the concepts created in it will ever be mentioned again.

Infinite Crisis: Again, brings back Earth 2 Superman and reminds everyone of the pre-Crisis universe and just turns Superboy Prime into a villain and kills off Earth 2 Superman and then literally drags his corpse around the DCU until the reboot. Complete waste of time.

Hypertime: This wasn't an event per-se but it was a backdoor way to bring back the multiverse that no one used. Waid played with it around 1998-99 and then it was just kind of forgotten about.

Convergence: There's no doubt this killed the New 52. You don't remind your audience of the previous universe less than five years into the one you're trying to sell to the public and is struggling.

New 52: This had so much potential but Didio just wouldn't get out of his own way and let the people he hired do their jobs. He had to micro-manage everything and a lot of his ideas were just bad. No one allowed to get married. Sidelining Wally and Dick and just kind of hoping people would forget about them. This was a chance at the kind of hard reboot that DC needed but they couldn't pull the trigger or stick with their own ideas. This leads well into the Convergence problem. They wouldn't let go of the previous universe. You had anthology, out of continuity, series like Sensation Comics and Adventures of Superman that kept reminding people of the old universe while you're still trying to sell the public on the new one. After Rebirth there were all kinds of conspiracies that said that New 52 was never meant to be permanent in the first place and it's easy to see why people would think that. It didn't help that any tie in merch, like that video game, tanked also. Just fed into the problem.

COIE: This one's tricky because, for all intents and purposes, it did what it was designed to do. I.E. boost sales. But the longer term consequences are still being felt to this day. One could chalk that up to just mismanagement at the time but we're still correcting for those problems today. I was seven years old when this happened so I'm not privy to what the comics market was like at that time. But given the fact that there was serious consideration to just closing up shop and letting Marvel publish their books, it sounds like things were dire. So this may have been the best decision financially. But looking at the books at the time and leading up to it, it also looks like more could have been done to avoid it and just wasn't.

I haven't followed a whole lot of "Crisis" events since DDC but by the sound of it, none of them really had any lasting impact.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'd like to know the cold hard truth about which event was an objective failure at the comic shops. Some people on here seem to have access to all the sales numbers. So this should be something easily proven just by looking at how they performed when they came out. Which had the highest sales and which had the lowest sales? You have your mission, now hop to it!
    You mean which ones had the highest orders versus the one who didn't.

This is not a matter to be settled by subjective opinion.
    That is STILL a subjective opinion.

Because of WHO were the focus of this or that event and you are at the mercy of the store owner's bias.

A 100K of Death Metal means WHAT???

We got 2000 comic book stores.

Did every store order 50 copies??? NO-there were stores that didn't order a copy.

What variants did that event have that got that number inflated?? And how many SOLD at the price the store wanted? I got one that runs for $70 online-it cost me $2. Because that store was that desperate to get rid of the variants of the books that he had.

How many events whored out Batman to get a boost versus others?

Heroes in Crisis might have sold but how many fans did it alienate to the point Jeremy Adams had to use Flash to undo the damage?

As a Green Lantern fan, "Millennium" was particularly disappointing. Aside from mediocre art, the introduction of the New Guardians was a huge dud. If they had been in any way interesting or stuck around awhile and provided some interesting stories, it would be one thing, but as it was it just damaged a bunch of characters who were revealed to be Manhunters and gave us nothing in return.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

There's a plethora to choose from, but I imagine GENESIS and CRY FOR JUSTICE must rank near the top/bottom.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'd like to know the cold hard truth about which event was an objective failure at the comic shops. Some people on here seem to have access to all the sales numbers. So this should be something easily proven just by looking at how they performed when they came out. Which had the highest sales and which had the lowest sales? This is not a matter to be settled by subjective opinion. Let's get the numbers. You have your mission, now hop to it!
    This information only details what a comic store ordered, but not what they actually sold.

So it is more subjective.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

All of New 52, Heroes in Crisis and currently Gotham War.

Only because this is like 4 events, but I'm going to go with the introduction of Perpetua and her eventual defeat.

I was reading some of the books, try to keep up with stuff, but even I got confused with her where to go next. Oh wait, Justice League is no longer doing this storyline, I need to jump to Hell Arisen, but this doesn't end it, I need to jump over to Heavy Metal, but that is a combination of other stuff. There was no one character who you could read all the way through and understand the story. We gain and drop characters everywhere.,

Second storyline. I know I';m in the minority here, but damn, I really hate Flashpoint. Or at least let's stop calling it a Flash story. Yes, Flash was the cause, but without all of the other characters, the story fails. So I think there are better Flash stories out there. But yes, I just hate Flashpoint.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    There's a plethora to choose from, but I imagine GENESIS and CRY FOR JUSTICE must rank near the top/bottom.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I'm not sure if Cry for Justice counts as an event.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Identity Crisis did a lot to destroy some characters . . .
    "Destroy" is a strong word considering it's comics. If we all like Hal Jordan ok now, there's no such thing as "destroying" a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's not - that happened in 1989 with the invention of the World Wide Web and hyperlinks, and that event is from 1991. But most people didn't have devices to access it back then and social media wasn't invented yet.
    How did the leak happen?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Batman died and Barry came back.
    The former didn't last.

Extraordinary Member

I'm surprised Amazons Attack hasn't been mentioned. It did WW and the Amazons no favors. Or for that matter Supergirl and Wonder Girl. There was a lot of character destruction work going on with that.

Anybody remember Bloodlines? .... anybody?

I thought so.

Of the most recent events, I would say Heroes in Crisis and Dark Crisis. Both were equally awfull.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Anybody remember Bloodlines? .... anybody?

I thought so.
    That needs to be forgotten just for Jamm alone.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?