Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    didnt hear about that part
    Perez was so put off by the situation, he bailed on DC for a time.

Some broad categories of failure/success. I'm sure I'll forget some:

Did No Lasting Damage, But Pretty Unmemorable
    Dark Crisis
    War of the Gods
    Genesis

Were Reasonably Entertaining, Built Some Good Things Up, But Had a Narrative Faceplant
    Millennium
    Doomsday Clock

Reasonably Entertaining, Did Some Not-Great Damage
    Armageddon 2001
    Cosmic Odyssey
    Infinite Crisis

Reasonably Entertaining, Did a Lot of Damage
    Identity Crisis
    Flashpoint
    Zero HOur

Not Entertaining, Did Some Damage
    Amazons Attack

Not Entertaining, Did LOTS of Damage
    Cry for Justice
    Heroes in Crisis
    Countdown to Final Crisis

Reasonably Entertaining, Not Much Damage
    Final Crisis
    Blackest Night
    Brightest Day

Entertaining, No Particular Damage
    DC One Million
    Legends
    Invasion!
    Final Night
    Metal & Dark Metal

In Its Own Category
    Crisis on Infinite Earths
    Last edited by ducklord; 10-23-2023 at 09:15 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Honestly, most of them amounted to nothing. Bloodlines? Meh. Hypertime? Ugh

Crisis did what it needed to at the time despite the long term issues/ flaws.

The biggest failure was Doomsday Clock. 12 issue story that could have been at least half that. Great ending ( the multiverse continues and was never destroyed, but spawned new Earths) yet basically tossed as soon as it was revealed

DC needs to stop destroying and rebuilding the Universe. Please. Let us breathe. You wonder why folks have a hard time jumping on? Stop destroying everything .
    Agreed! 10 characters

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

When it comes to how Wonder Woman and her lore are treated. Almost all DC events have failed hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    Reasonably Entertaining, Did Some Not-Great Damage
    Armageddon 2001
    Cosmic Odyssey
    Infinite Crisis
    This is me asking, cause I don't know, what damage did Cosmic Odyssey do?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Also I never got Why any further tinkering was needed after the introduction of Hypertime in that Super boy story. I mean, literally EVERYTHING was out there and they could pick and choose as they liked. They just couldn't stop picking.
    But then basically you have the Multiverse, so what was the point? And if infinite possible futures timelines exist, then that gets confusing for current reality. Just let each continuity exist on its own Earth. Hypertime was basically DC trying to have its cake and eat it too, with no commitment

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

If we're talking strictly failure, then the only answer is Flashpoint since it led to The New 52, which was all but erased in 5 years.

If we're talking quality, well there have been plenty of dud events for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Did John Stewart accidentally destroy a planet or something?

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    But then basically you have the Multiverse, so what was the point? And if infinite possible futures timelines exist, then that gets confusing for current reality. Just let each continuity exist on its own Earth. Hypertime was basically DC trying to have its cake and eat it too, with no commitment
    But that's just it: the Multiverse by any other name is still the Multiverse all the same yes? So if they had access to it but only a select few knew aboush, couldn't they have gotten whatever it is they are searching for from that? Right now, the only Multiverse fair I can stomach is COUNTERPARTwith JK Simmons and that short scary film with the terror genitals on that VHS anthology .

Just because I truly want to know wtf they were thinking, I have been looking at archives of comics industry news publications and right now I am convinced it was just that Dan DiDidiot guy running amok

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    John Stewart was forever held hostage by it.

He was a guy that got a planet blew up and never lived it down. That lead to the creation of Fatality-who rubbed it in more.

If we're talking strictly failure, then the only answer is Flashpoint since it led to The New 52, which was all but erased in 5 years.
    No it hasn't. It still lingers depending on what character you are talking about.

Wallace West, Bunker, Tanya Spears, Duke Thomas and some others are still active and were from New 52.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

The harder question to answer would be: What event worked best and why!

I've found nearly ALL of DC's 'events' a letdown. Some, such as Heroes in Crisis and Genesis should never be mentioned again. EVER.
    Others, such as Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis & Dark Crisis were still painfully average, but didn't leave me furious with myself for purchasing the issues.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

He was a guy that got a planet blew up and never lived it down. That lead to the creation of Fatality-who rubbed it in more.

No it hasn't. It still lingers depending on what character you are talking about.

Wallace West, Bunker, Tanya Spears, Duke Thomas and some others are still active and were from New 52.
    Some characters survived, sure. But the entire point of The New 52 - which was supposed to be a hard reboot of DC that allowed for better adaptations of the IPs - was undone with Rebirth. So, I still stand by my statement that Flashpoint is the biggest failure since its effects were completely wiped out within a very short period.

Again, there have been far worse events from a quality standpoint.

I'd prefer to read a bad comic book to a boring one. In that way, Dark Crisis has been my least favorite because boy what a nothing burger.

But that's not the question. As for which event has failed the worst and why, there's only one contender and it's Doomsday Clock.

The delays meant that it went from the event that was meant to reset the DCU in new and exciting ways to being completely irrelevant because, after 2 years of delays, DC just couldn't wait for Johns anymore. They didn't have a choice.

It might as well have been an Elseworlds, which would have been fine if that was what it set out to do, but it had a clear goal and it could not have failed any worse at achieving it.

I'll say again, as I always do in discussions of the failure of Doomsday Clock regardless of subjective questions of good or bad, the entire 9-episode HBO TV series aired in the delay between Doomsday Clock's penultimate #11 and finale #12.

That's a sure recipe for failure by any measure. As popcorn movie comics go, nobody is better than Johns, but when he makes his DC work such a low priority that he can't keep a book coming out even bi-monthly, I just don't want to see him around here anymore.

We care about these comics and characters and what happens next in this 85-year long soap opera. He has demonstrated just as well as he possibly could that those things, at DC at least, just aren't very important to him anymore.
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 10-24-2023 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

You are correct there. Now that I think about it, Orion got a pass though didn't he?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.