View Poll Results: Tim Drake should......

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Return to Red Robin

17 17.71%
  • Road trip with Conner Kent

8 8.33%
  • Mentor/Leader to a young new superteam

3 3.13%
  • Intelligence operative/ private detective

27 28.13%
  • stay away from the Batman family

7 7.29%
  • Runaway & marry Jubilee

17 17.71%
  • 0ther

17 17.71%
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Unfortunately they didn't came up with a better mantle when they made him Red Robin, that would have been the ideal time to have him take up the new Identity.
    I mean Red Robin is still just a variation of Robin.
    Yeah, that's what killed his chances of ever getting sepererated from the Robin identity.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post

and who was this A List creative team?
    Bendis
    Gleason
    tynion

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Unfortunately they didn't came up with a better mantle when they made him Red Robin, that would have been the ideal time to have him take up the new Identity.
    I mean Red Robin is still just a variation of Robin.
    The issue is Red Robin is a name of an restaurant.

So that name didn't help when you do searches and that comes up first depending on your search platform.

and who was this A List creative team?
    Define A list.

Also understand that has different meaning for different folks.

With at least ONE of those names brings out the worst in folks especially with his links to kids named Miles and Riri and Naomi.

Others won't think of his Batman run because he is more well known for his Book Studio books Wynd, Something is Killing Children, Backstagers and the Woods. With two spawning tv shows.

Bendis
    Gleason
    tynion

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The issue is Red Robin is a name of an restaurant.

So that name didn't help when you do searches and that comes up first depending on your search platform.

Define A list.

Also understand that has different meaning for different folks.

With at least ONE of those names brings out the worst in folks especially with his links to kids named Miles and Riri and Naomi.

Others won't think of his Batman run because he is more well known for his Book Studio books Wynd, Something is Killing Children, Backstagers and the Woods. With two spawning tv shows.

Bendis
    Gleason
    tynion
    First...and I may be misremembering things here, but Tynion's run came before Bendis and Gleason's Young Justice started...and I think it was due to YJ that Tim left Detective under Tynion. Secondly, you can hardly say that Tim failed despite Gleason working on the book...Gleason was only on YJ for the first four issues. After that was John Timms. Also, they did try to move Tim past Robin but did it horribly with a bad alter ego name (his own last name???) and a really dull and bland brown costume. None of that can be used to say Tim doesn't work. Tim does work.

Such as I was thinking earlier today (it was really slow at work) and Outsiders was a missed opportunity for Tim and the rest of the YJ gang. Keep the same premise....the history of the DC universe. Tim, Kon, Cassie and Impulse could have been perfect for that type of book and given them all a purpose that they do not have at the present time.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

The poll results are very troubling. There's no consensus even among readers what to do with him.

Astonishing Member

Because there's no a definitely good decision. Everything is risky.
    Keeping him as Robin is just a stagnation, which is slowly kills the character, but it's also the only thing that guarantees, that he's not going to vanish, while some drastic change/relaunch of the character is a huge risk. Also, there are people, who prefers more basic take on Robin, and if Tim leaves the mantle behind, Damian will be the only Robin, so there won't be any alternative for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The poll results are very troubling. There's no consensus even among readers what to do with him.
    The poll just represents one section of the fanbase and is hardly going to be anything that DC takes into account. IMHO, I'd worry more about Tim getting a solo series that sells well; every time he has one that doesn't make money, that just sends more of a message that "readers don't care about this character, anymore."
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I chose intelligence operative/private detective with the caveat of being away from the bafamily.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Extraordinary Member

I think it comes less down to the direction (unless they do another dumb stunt) and more to get finally a good creative team on the character that can deliver good stories with version of the character that recognizable.

I mean for the most part his direction since flashpoint was to have him either as a member of the Teen Titans/Young Justice or the Gotham Knights, that not a bas set up, the execution was just really lacking for the most part.
    But on the other hand I think non of Titans/Teen titans run since flashpoint sofar has really been a massive success (the current might be, but it is imo to early to tell).

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The poll just represents one section of the fanbase and is hardly going to be anything that DC takes into account. IMHO, I'd worry more about Tim getting a solo series that sells well; every time he has one that doesn't make money, that just sends more of a message that "readers don't care about this character, anymore."
    Umm... the poll shows that the fanbase (even if it's a smaller sample) is very divided over which direction Tim needs to go in, signaling that any solo series starring him is going to be a disappointment in sales at this point as it won't excite a large enough section of readers no matter what it does.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 10-30-2023 at 12:58 PM.

Ultimate Member

Umm... the poll shows that the fanbase (even if it's a smaller sample) is very divided over which direction Tim needs to go in, signaling that any solo series starring him is going to be a disappointment in sales at this point as it won't excite a large enough section of readers no matter what it does.

If there is going to be a fit fest no matter what DC does than what is the point?

If that is the message and DC does something with say Kate or Maps or Duke-Tim fans scream "what about us?"

DC can say-"If you can't be bothered to even TRY a Tim series-why should we do anything?"

Companies can accept a series failing but they are not going to accept fans NOT even bothering.

That is not on DC that is on fans.

Fans lose the right to complain. DC can't improve or do better if fans don't READ the entire book?

Then it becomes echo chamber nonsense.

But there is.

Right now as I type this post. Return to Red Robin has 11 votes. Intelligence Operative / Detective has 13 votes. Those two things are not mutually exclusive. He could be Red Robin and an Intelligence Operative.

Other has 12, and everything else has less than 6.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I think you are dismissing people to quickly. Yes, there are split votes for Red Robin and for detective...but the vast majority of Tim fans would be more than happy to read either series if it were done well. which is where the last series fell so far. It just was not done well. Tim's fans wouldn't really care if he stayed Robin, yes we would love to see him progress, but if he had good stories...it wouldn't matter. The editor chose poorly for the artist...his style just did not work for the characterThe writer just was not ready for publication, maybe if she had worked with a co-writer with better skill and knowledge of the character it would have been better. Either way, if they gave Tim to a writer who knew the character or cared enough about the character to discover who he is and move him forward, the book would have been better received.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Voted for Private Detective, but I don't really mind if he does that as a civilian or under RR or any other codename. What's most important to me is that I feel like there's a hole in genre in Batbooks right now. Batman stories are mostly just regular superhero narratives in terms of tone these days, and I think giving Tim more classic, mystery-focused noir stories would play to his strengths while adding something to the brand overall.

Extraordinary Member

The ending of scorched earth gave Tim Batman’s uncanny ability to make everyone around him dumber. “Tim how did know how to do that”. How to do what pull out venom tubes, get around technology you have seen for decades? Nightwing and go have been fighting thease same guys for a long time why do they need tim to tell them what to do? Especially when it’s stuff a civilian living in Gotham might know if they lived there long enough. This is what makes him the 2nd best robin.

It actually reaffirms he has no place or specialty at the moment
    Out classed physically by half
    Oracle run’s the operation
    They tried to make him the more compassionate one since dick was beating Bruce’s ass deservedly
    Last edited by Rac7d*; 11-01-2023 at 04:58 AM.