Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I didn't realize a second artist was coming onboard with this issue. Hm.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Diogenes Neves' art has certainly... changed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    That's putting it mildly.

So on top of the story being unimpressive and not appearing to matter in any way to major events going in the X-world, the usage of and focus on Curse being baffeling to most readers, the usage of Saturnyne as main villain feeling underwhelming, Magik being written in a potential frustrating way, the remaining characters being just there and now even the art seems to drop from just mediocre to "phoned it in".

Ultimate Member

Was almost expecting Archie and Jughead to show up due to the art...

Man, that art is rough.

This is the same artist that Zeb Wells New Mutants and Storm Worlds Apart? Damn that is a change. It reminded me of that terrible scratchy artist on the Wolverines series.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Man, that art is rough.
    And it sucks too
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Ultimate Member

I like Dani, I love Dust, I am intrigued by Mary. The New Mutants first visit to Asgard was AMAZING! All reasons why I want to like this. Enough to overcome my deep aversion to Curse, even.

And yet, this book just is not working for me.

Really not a fan of how Dust has been portrayed in the, like, two appearances she's had in this Age of Krakoa. The last time we saw her, she portaled over to Arakko and squawked about having to fix some weather related hoo-ha that Storm somehow overlooked (rude!), despite that *not being her power.* She turns into a sandstorm. She doesn't 'control weather' anymore than Beast controls hair because he's a furry, or Colossus controls metal because he turns into metal. Ugh. As much as I'll kvetch about Dust, Hellion, Wind-Dancer, etc. not being used, I think I'd rather they be off partying in Shiar space or hanging out with Wiccan and Hulkling on the new Kree/Skrull alliance homeworld or doing anything off panel, like helping the natives in the Savage Land benefit from their drug-farming there, than being written *badly* here.

Magik is weirdly subdued and meek. So her mutant power is on the fritz. Isn't she a badass demon sorceress who like, was pretty much Sorceress Supreme of Limbo, with a magic sword and like, zero, ***** to give? If anything, her 'magic bus' power being down should be an upside, since she's not being viewed as mass transport, but just the brash sexy (slightly overconfident, a little bit condescending) butt-kicker she is.

At least Marrow seems to be in-character. She jumps to conclusions and gets all stabby. She's got a bone to pick with everyone.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    This is the same artist that Zeb Wells New Mutants and Storm Worlds Apart? Damn that is a change. It reminded me of that terrible scratchy artist on the Wolverines series.
    Yeah, they did very good work on Storm, Psylocke and New Mutants but this looks like a big step back frankly, which is a shame because their figure work and storytelling were pretty strong.

Yeah, they did very good work on Storm, Psylocke and New Mutants but this looks like a big step back frankly, which is a shame because their figure work and storytelling were pretty strong.
    Perhaps it was a last minute switch which is why the art looks so rushed…

All I know is that they did my girl Dust PARTICULARLY dirty.

Astonishing Member

In issue 2, Marrow was shown prooducing sword sized weapons from the palm of her hands. As far as my memory is correct, she never displayed this kind of feat in the comics before, even during Spurrier's X-force run, where her powers were pushed to Marvel vs. Capcom 2 level.

Rather this was something she was shown casualy doing in the Wolverine and the X-men cartoon (which also presented her as a rather inept fighter).

It's somewhat amusing to see how her powers and controll over them keep evolving in the backround while it seems she remains a weakling in the eyes of many higher tiered writers.

Also this has nothing to do with this issue and preview, there just wasn't a discussion of the previous issue, for understandable reason, where this bit of trivia could have been thrown in.

Mighty Member

This book is awful

Spectacular Member

wow this art could get worse...

Not a huge fan of the art. But…as a long time reader, we’ve had SIGNIFICANTLY worse.

This isn’t NEARLY as painful to look at as, say…Jae Lee’s run on Namor or X-Factor, where everything was jagged lines drawn in sharpie…

Even today, when I re-read X-Cutioner’s Song, I have to skip the X-Factor parts because the art hurts my eyes so badly…