Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Pushing back against the propaganda and using his status as a national symbol to try to talk sense to the people and stand with mutantkind. I like it.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Another mini, another artist change. And I really love all the characters here but it's hard to get invested in a new team when you know it's not continuing past #5.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Pushing back against the propaganda and using his status as a national symbol to try to talk sense to the people and stand with mutantkind. I like it.
    About damn time.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Another mini, another artist change. And I really love all the characters here but it's hard to get invested in a new team when you know it's not continuing past #5.
    And it seems this issue will have two different new artists. Very odd for a mini I think. I feel the same as you, I love this cast but I'm struggling to get into it.

Astonishing Member

Eh, I still think its just doubling down on the "Cap's right and the mutants were being unreasonable last issue" angle and I'm going to be disappointed but not surprised if that ends up the takeaway. Allies speaking over the concerns of those who are directly targeted and have the actual most to lose is a major gripe with me and emblematic of my issues with Duggan's writing (and amount of influence he has on the overall direction of the X-books this era).

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Eh, I still think its just doubling down on the "Cap's right and the mutants were being unreasonable last issue" angle and I'm going to be disappointed but not surprised if that ends up the takeaway. Allies speaking over the concerns of those who are directly targeted and have the actual most to lose is a major gripe with me and emblematic of my issues with Duggan's writing (and amount of influence he has on the overall direction of the X-books this era).
    I couldn't agree more. And for Captain America to act like he knows what's best for everyone is infuriating. And as you say it seems to me that's what we're in for in this mini.

Extraordinary Member

I am annoyed that they decide to do a book with multiple mutants on and Avengers team and they ignore Justice.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Certainly seems to work going off of the upcoming preview pictures we saw for later down the line where Cyclops is being marched but the crowd is divided between supporting mutantkind and opposition to it. Just look at how the tides are shown to have shifted from the lone girl in support of unity in Ms. Marvel’s book who was attacked for it to a crowd standing with mutants. Sure it’s akin to something we’d normally see, but with how bad things have gotten for mutantkind since the Gala, it’s nice to see support.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I am annoyed that they decide to do a book with multiple mutants on and Avengers team and they ignore Justice.
    Yeah, that is a disappointment. Would especially love to see his reaction to Firestar being apparently on Orchis's side (she's really undercover at the late Jean Grey's behest, but still).

More seriously, I can see both sides of this debate in the threads here. On the one hand, it is very, very good of Captain America to publicly display his solidarity with mutants and try to spur humankind to be better than letting themselves be goaded by fear and hate of what they don't understand into embracing fascism and sanctioning genocide. On the other hand, I'd have to admit it can be read as something of an issue for Cap to seem like he's taking the lead in defending and/or advocating for mutants as opposed to them speaking for themselves, though on a pragmatic level, considering how successful Orchis's propaganda and manipulations have been in fomenting fear and hate of mutants to outright genocidal levels, it's kind of a catch-22.

On the one hand (again), maybe Cap's not being the best ally he could be by some people's standards, though on the other hand, he might be the best shot mutants have at getting anything close to a fair hearing from the human public and authorities, again due to how successfully Orchis has poisoned public opinion against them. Not helped, either, by Orchis turning the Krakoan medicines into a Trojan horse for poisons that can trigger violent mental breakdowns in or even outright kill anyone who's taken them and passing that off as the mutants' plan to subvert and undermine humanity, of course.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, that is a disappointment. Would especially love to see his reaction to Firestar being apparently on Orchis's side (she's really undercover at the late Jean Grey's behest, but still).
    Yeah, this, exactly. Its not about Vance and Angelica's history as love interests, just that he knows her so well compared to most mutants, I REALLY can't see him ever believing Angelica's 'heel turn' on face value, and I think he'd be driven to figure out what the hell is going on, assuming that there's more to the story and that with everyone against her, she could use any one who believes in her, even if it is her ex-boyfriend.

But also just in general, this is where I bemoan the fall from grace the classic 90s New Warriors cast has had over the past couple decades, because sooooo many of them would have been perfect fits for this lineup, given that all the mutant New Warriors have long been dedicated heroes but more connected to the rest of the cape community than the mutant community overall. Not just Vance, but Namorita, Timeslip, Silhouette, Bolt....any and all of them would have been great additions to this cast, and provide some very useful perspectives as mutants who get where Rogue, Kwannon & Monet are coming from and most importantly share in those stakes, but have a longer history with Steve, Natasha & other Avengers.

(And I'll never not be mad that the whole Krakoan era has come and gone without any kind of reunion between Angelica and Rich/Nova on Arakko).

Astonishing Member

Also, minor gripe, but I would have much rather had Warren on this cast than being used for yet another 'mindlessly controlled in his Archangel persona' plot in Dark X-Men. His connections with Monet from X-Corp and his history with Natasha from all the way back to their Champions days would've actually given him some material to work with instead of yet another Warren-as-a-villain's-pawn plot, which we have approximately 80 million versions of at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Also, minor gripe, but I would have much rather had Warren on this cast than being used for yet another 'mindlessly controlled in his Archangel persona' plot in Dark X-Men. His connections with Monet from X-Corp and his history with Natasha from all the way back to their Champions days would've actually given him some material to work with instead of yet another Warren-as-a-villain's-pawn plot, which we have approximately 80 million versions of at this point.
    Yes to this. In his Angel form he's reassuring, both as the image of the iconic angel figure (blonde, handsome, perfect, white feathers wings) and as a mutant who is "normal-looking", "human passing" in features, no "deformities", no odd skin colours, blah blah.
    Besides... I want more of his and Monet banter as seen in X-Corp. Not to mention... well, Kwannon on team (if they kept her in this hypothetical different formation with Warren). I maintain it would be interesting to see Warren having to work alongside with Kwannon - there would be lot of potential: he would instinctively treat her as Betsy, but then stumble, and correct himself immediately after he opened his mouth to say something inappropriate or after he expected Kwannon to do/act Betsy-ish (I mean this as a "companion-on-the-field" with Warren who shared plenty of time side by side fighting in the same team as Betsy so he sees Kwannon and his body goes "this is how this person is supposed to be/act", not in a Warren-hasn't-gotten-over-his-ex creepy thing)

I'm liking Dark X-Men, don't mind me, but your idea would've been something fresh and new for him. Also, finally his chance to be an Avenger, which I think he's long since due.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post

More seriously, I can see both sides of this debate in the threads here. On the one hand, it is very, very good of Captain America to publicly display his solidarity with mutants and try to spur humankind to be better than letting themselves be goaded by fear and hate of what they don't understand into embracing fascism and sanctioning genocide. On the other hand, I'd have to admit it can be read as something of an issue for Cap to seem like he's taking the lead in defending and/or advocating for mutants as opposed to them speaking for themselves, though on a pragmatic level, considering how successful Orchis's propaganda and manipulations have been in fomenting fear and hate of mutants to outright genocidal levels, it's kind of a catch-22.

On the one hand (again), maybe Cap's not being the best ally he could be by some people's standards, though on the other hand, he might be the best shot mutants have at getting anything close to a fair hearing from the human public and authorities, again due to how successfully Orchis has poisoned public opinion against them. Not helped, either, by Orchis turning the Krakoan medicines into a Trojan horse for poisons that can trigger violent mental breakdowns in or even outright kill anyone who's taken them and passing that off as the mutants' plan to subvert and undermine humanity, of course.
    I like that Steve is finally speaking out for mutants...but hate that this is what is causing it. As I have said before...there should be mutants on the Avengers (NOT X-MEN MUTANTS) and have there be anti mutant protests outside the Mansion and Steve speak out then.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?