Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I know King's hinted he prefers the clay origin but I'm not reading too much in the clay origin/daddy Zeus narration. King's previous works like to reference previous continuity that often is in direct contradiction with one another, he did this with his Batman/Catwoman stuff, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. Especially as DC went extra hard Daddy Zeus near the end of Cloonan/Conrads run.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Tom King isn't big on 1st person narration, especially in this type of book (his Supergirl and Superman books didn't use any 1st person POV either), but I do wish the narration was from the perspective of someone closer to her. Sovereign just gives us macro-scale Big Story Moments because he only sees her fighting, whether it's verbally/emotionally or physically - from his perspective we can't get small character moments like, say, the excellent Supergirl scene where she teaches Ruthye how to wash her hands. It feels like a defense mechanism so he doesn't have to really touch Diana as a character.

I didn't notice Diana swearing here (just some **** talking) but there's precedent for it! In Phil Jimenez's Day in the Life issue Lois mentions that she swears like a sailor when she's mad.
    Yeah, that's my main hunch also. I suppose maybe the narration being from Steve could have worked but I was fine with it either way, just hope it's shaken up later.

Astonishing Member

Sovereign, so far, is a better narrator than villain.

Spectacular Member

Specifically wrt Steve, I agree the tone in the previews and at the start was sort of OOC. But what I can also understand is Steve was following orders but deep down knew Diana would come out victorious. I even noticed that the he has a proud "that's the Diana I know" smirk" despite "his" side lost. Emphasised by the "We" discussion

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Finally read the issue and enjoyed it for the most part. It seemed like it was meant to introduce us to who Diana is under the new regime. It was basically set up for "new" readers basically as they seem to know that more eyeballs are on WW now than in the past.

Since DC will not allow the Clay origin to be THEEEE origin, writers are having to find loopholes and this seemed like one of those loopholes to address all the myths surrounding her.

Steve did seem a little ooc but for the most part I think they were able to stay true to him. He was worried about Diana and wanting to look out for her wellbeing all at the same time having to make it seem like he at least tried but he is on her team. The weirdest part is just seeing him kind of "demoted" as we dont see him taking orders that much.

But this is just issue 2 and even with the narration, which I liked, we'll have to see if it goes on through the confrontation of Diana/Sovvy. Hopefully not and its just to set things up. But good issue nonetheless.

Probably as good as WW fans are going to get when it comes to recanonizing the clay origin. Clearly the higher ups are waiting for what Gunn (or whoever he hands DCU WW off to) decides to do with her backstory in the DCU. Great art, lots of scenes of WW kicking ass, and forcing Trevor to the opposite side is a welcome decision for me. We get to dig into what Trevor values and how he's going to balance his oath to America with his love for Diana. So the Amazon who killed those people was the same one Diana beat in the contest to become WW in the first place? I like where this is going, but is she an agent of Sovereign or is this something else? Maybe she's working for another one of Diana's Rogues.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Amazing Member

This story is so stupid…

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Probably as good as WW fans are going to get when it comes to recanonizing the clay origin. Clearly the higher ups are waiting for what Gunn (or whoever he hands DCU WW off to) decides to do with her backstory in the DCU. Great art, lots of scenes of WW kicking ass, and forcing Trevor to the opposite side is a welcome decision for me. We get to dig into what Trevor values and how he's going to balance his oath to America with his love for Diana. So the Amazon who killed those people was the same one Diana beat in the contest to become WW in the first place? I like where this is going, but is she an agent of Sovereign or is this something else? Maybe she's working for another one of Diana's Rogues.
    It was such an obvious thing, but it didn't cross my mind at all while reading the issue. I was like who can that Amazon be and then they showed her and I was like d'oh.

I am just going to imagine that this "Diana" who crushed a bunch of tanks, trucks, helicopters and other vehicles with a tank (right after [or was it before?] saying "I do not wish to harm you" is just the Sovereign's perception of Diana. I wonder how many people were injured, killed or maimed when Diana used that tank as a fly swatter. I knew that the whole scene from issue # 1 with Diana dragging a man by his neck with the lasso was 100 % off. Also,There is no way in hell Diana would say "I will drop a 55-Ton Abrams Tank on your pathetic little heads!" That sounds nothing like Diana. WTF. Sorry, but if this is how Tom King wants to make WW a "kickass book" (by writing her with the same generic 'badass chick' voice of a thousand other badass chicks), I am not interested.

I did enjoy the first issue, even with my trepidation about the drag-him-by-the-neck scene, but this last issue is not working for me. Like I said, maybe this is just the Sovereign's perception of Diana. Maybe he is embodying the unreliable narrator trope, and he is deliberately misleading us, the readers. Maybe he is the Duke of Deception after all. However, If this ends up being King's true idea of who Diana is, then I don't want anything to do with it.

Well, I must say that I liked this second issue, it is true that it does not advance much in the story but rather establishes this "war" of the US against Diana.
    I hope that the sovereign's voice is for this narrative arc only.
    Everything seemed right to me, I liked the parallelism with the tournament.
    The best of all apart from Sampere's Art which is magnificent (and I think he was never this magnificent, not even in that Dark Crisis crap) is the fact that brings us the origin of clay back, I had already lost all hope after that crap from Revenge of the Gods and Knight Terrors with their insistence on calling Diana the daughter of Zeus. So, yupi!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

While I still don't fully trust King, I'm relieved that Steve came off better in this than I feared.

I loved the update to the mask Diana wore during the Contest. And the shade thrown at the Zeus origin.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Fun issue. Sampere's art is glorious and this was a Hell of a fight, like Goddamn.

For those worried about how cold Diana appears I feel the next issues might deal with that, I believe issue 3 will have trying to give the best day ever to a sick kid which presumably will have her showing another side of herself than the battle-mode she's been in for past 2 issues.

Which King can be pretty good at emotional moments. I legitimately teared up during a scene in Woman of Tomorrow, specifically Kara helping a gravedigger bury all the casualties in a pirate raid and telling him where his daughters remains are. The little aliens guys face tearing up in gratitude for the kind act really got to me there.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I am just going to imagine that this "Diana" who crushed a bunch of tanks, trucks, helicopters and other vehicles with a tank (right after [or was it before?] saying "I do not wish to harm you" is just the Sovereign's perception of Diana. I wonder how many people were injured, killed or maimed when Diana used that tank as a fly swatter. I knew that the whole scene from issue # 1 with Diana dragging a man by his neck with the lasso was 100 % off. Also,There is no way in hell Diana would say "I will drop a 55-Ton Abrams Tank on your pathetic little heads!" That sounds nothing like Diana. WTF. Sorry, but if this is how Tom King wants to make WW a "kickass book" (by writing her with the same generic 'badass chick' voice of a thousand other badass chicks), I am not interested.

I did enjoy the first issue, even with my trepidation about the drag-him-by-the-neck scene, but this last issue is not working for me. Like I said, maybe this is just the Sovereign's perception of Diana. Maybe he is embodying the unreliable narrator trope, and he is deliberately misleading us, the readers. Maybe he is the Duke of Deception after all. However, If this ends up being King's true idea of who Diana is, then I don't want anything to do with it.
    It’s my main issue with King. He doesn’t wrote stories to fit characters, he writes characters to fit stories…and often time he writes them wildly out of character.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    While I still don't fully trust King, I'm relieved that Steve came off better in this than I feared.

I loved the update to the mask Diana wore during the Contest. And the shade thrown at the Zeus origin.
    I'm just waiting for Steve and Etta to go rogue.

You all undersold it, this was an instant classic issue. This was the issue you give to people who've never read Wonder Woman before. This is going in the next adaption, animated and live action. Tom King killed it.

If you read this before Amazons Attack you read it in the wrong order, because it was the appetizer, this was the main course and the backup (with Artemis, finally!) was the dessert.

Five Stars!

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    You all undersold it, this was an instant classic issue. This was the issue you give to people who've never read Wonder Woman before. This is going in the next adaption, animated and live action. Tom King killed it.

If you read this before Amazons Attack you read it in the wrong order, because it was the appetizer, this was the main course and the backup (with Artemis, finally!) was the dessert.

Five Stars!
    Let's avoid counting our chickens before they hatch.