Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    You all undersold it, this was an instant classic issue. This was the issue you give to people who've never read Wonder Woman before. This is going in the next adaption, animated and live action. Tom King killed it.

If you read this before Amazons Attack you read it in the wrong order, because it was the appetizer, this was the main course and the backup (with Artemis, finally!) was the dessert.

Five Stars!
    Huh? WW has an AA backup, which is a prelude - you need to read WW before AA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Wait don't Paradise Island Amazons have the thing where their population is increased because the souls of women abused by men reincarnate there upon death?

I feel like thats a decent enough explanation for why their names are all over the place.
    Please re-read Nubia's solo book. It introduced several new Amazons who took new names when they were reborn. So reincarnation doesn't explain non-Greek sounding names.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Huh? WW has an AA backup, which is a prelude - you need to read WW before AA.
    I know, but I read AA first and my Wonder Woman Wednesday flowed better because of it. The book I want to read most is always at the bottom of the stack because I save the best for last.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    So you are telling me that she did not hurt a single person? SO nobody was inside any of the tanks, choppers and other vehicles she crushed with that big ass tank?
    Ok...

ETA: suspension of disbelief is always necessary in order to enjoy many of the comic book stories we read, of course. But let's not act as if all these metal giants were remote controlled. She must've hurt somebody, and she knew she would, because the scene did not seem at all like she was trying NOT to hurt anyone (which is what I dislike about this Diana. The dragging a dude by his neck using the lasso already pushed the limits of how much disbelief I could suspend in regard to Diana hurting humans). And yes, I am salty...
    She's hurt humans for literal decades. Attack her and you will get your ass kicked which is what she did. She didn't kill anyone. They'll all walk to talk another day.

Re: the battle/Diana hurting people - we only see peeks at what happened. She could've just yanked everyone out of their vehicles "offscreen" before smashing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    So the Amazon who killed those people was the same one Diana beat in the contest to become WW in the first place? I like where this is going, but is she an agent of Sovereign or is this something else? Maybe she's working for another one of Diana's Rogues.
    The narration during the pool hall massacre pretty heavily hints that it's a false flag by the Sovereign.

Though on the subject of the Contest...Diana being a teenager there really makes a mess of things. I get why they did it (creates more contrast with the present-day battle, makes it clearer that she didn't have her powers yet), but wouldn't her age be a giveaway if she's the only child who grew up on Themyscira? It's possible that they didn't know each other before their fight, but it seems unlikely that an Amazon wouldn't at least know of Diana or question how someone so young wound up on the island. And isn't it odd that Steve was her love interest if they met when she was a teenager?

I feel like a lot of it could've been fixed if he'd just made it a standard Amazon tournament rather than THE Amazon Contest, but I guess the context could wind up being significant.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Since she's blonde and faced Diana in the Contest, I wish this was just Mala. She's been around since the Golden Age with no big stories to speak of.
    I'm happy to see new Amazons because there are thousands of them and we know maybe 20, but yeah, Emelie's a weird choice of name. Tom King tends to name characters after people he knows (see also: Lizzie, Gotham Girl) so it may be that, but I wouldn't be particularly flattered if a writer named a mass murderer after me...
    Last edited by bardkeep; 10-26-2023 at 06:20 AM.

It's stupid to think that no one knew it was Diana and Emelie fighting. It is obvious that they know each other, they make it explicit.
    The fact that they have to give their name is probably the submission game being sought, but not because they don't know it. It's the way to surrender.
    At least, that's the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    It's stupid to think that no one knew it was Diana and Emelie fighting. It is obvious that they know each other, they make it explicit.
    The fact that they have to give their name is probably the submission game being sought, but not because they don't know it. It's the way to surrender.
    Lol I'm so dumb, you're right. I'm pretty sure Emelie also explicitly mentions that she's the queen's daughter. I was thinking it because traditionally Diana wore a mask to hide her identity in the contest after Hippolyta forbade her from entering, but I guess Rebirth didn't have that.

Doesn't change the weirdness of Steve meeting Diana as a teen though, plus we know she's an adult when she arrives in the outside world (unless she's supposed to be an adult in both scenes and she just looks significantly shorter/skinnier in the contest scene because Emelie is enormous).
    Last edited by bardkeep; 10-26-2023 at 08:40 AM.

So thin skinned people here sad that the amazon warrior lady did a warrior thing when the literal US army was attacking her, and the government sent a task force to purposefully execute her sisters.... I just SMDH. Yall gonna cry when you see her combat moves in the video game too?
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Lol I'm so dumb, you're right. I'm pretty sure Emelie also explicitly mentions that she's the queen's daughter. I was thinking it because traditionally Diana wore a mask to hide her identity in the contest after Hippolyta forbade her from entering, but I guess Rebirth didn't have that.

Doesn't change the weirdness of Steve meeting Diana as a teen though, plus we know she's an adult when she arrives in the outside world (unless she's supposed to be an adult in both scenes and she just looks significantly shorter/skinnier in the contest scene because Emelie is enormous).
    Wasn't she meant to be physically 18 circa Rebirth?

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    So thin skinned people here sad that the amazon warrior lady did a warrior thing when the literal US army was attacking her, and the government sent a task force to purposefully execute her sisters.... I just SMDH. Yall gonna cry when you see her combat moves in the video game too?
    Maybe she can just tickle them into submission instead of hitting them

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    No, according to Rucka she was ~28 in Year One.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    No, according to Rucka she was ~28 in Year One.
    I think Rucka has her at 18 in Year One (and Steve at 21, since he remarks that hes now able to drink), then she's 28 in the Lies because it's 10 years later

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think Rucka has her at 18 in Year One (and Steve at 21, since he remarks that hes now able to drink), then she's 28 in the Lies because it's 10 years later
    My bad, I misremembered - found this interview and you're mostly right. Apparently she's thousands of years old in his take and just doesn't physically age past 18 until she leaves the island: https://www.comicosity.com/interview...-wonder-woman/

Of course, none of it matters in the context of this story because everything and nothing is canon. But I guess I'm even struggling to see 18 in this issue because she looks so much smaller than Emelie. We know Emelie's 6'4" and Sampere draws Diana very tall and broad so I'd think they'd be pretty close.

I wonder what the new story is behind WW having anything Eagle based if the Lion has always represented the Amazons

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I wonder what the new story is behind WW having anything Eagle based if the Lion has always represented the Amazons
    The eagle never represented the Amazons as far as I remember, it was always Diana's symbol, both Perez and Rucka use it because it appears on Diana/Steve Trevor's costume.
    And if I remember correctly, Gail Simone uses it as a symbol of Athena that represents all the patron goddesses or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    That's how I read it, too. Emelie wanted Diana to give her name as a form of forfeiting the contest, not because she couldn't tell who she was. It's pretty clear since it's how the battle ends.