Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Next year is the 50th birthday of marvels first trade paperback/ graphic novel!

On the near mint livestream someone brought up marvels first ever trade from 1975 (??) was origin of marvel. Next year marks the 50s birthday! 50 years of marvel trades/ graphic novels and omnis! Hope marvel can release a 50th trade of classic graphic novels like death of captain marvel, aladdin effect and x-men god loves man kills next year for the event!

What was you first? Mine was trial of galactus.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Why did they call them "Graphic Novels"? They don't use that term these days, do they?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I got a copy of Son of Origins for Christmas in the late 70s, but also had some of the Tempo/Pocket books paperback sized reprint collections I got at a Scholastic book fair around that time (not sure which was first I got between those).

This was the paperback I had-it reprinted some Marvel Team Up stories with Spidey/Havok/Thor

and since, as a kid, it was great getting so many stories in one package, I loved that format more than single issues, and was a very early adopter of trades including things like the early Claremont/Byrne X-Men collection and the Miller/Mazzuchelli DD collection plus the first batch of Masterworks when they started coming out in the mid-80s.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I totally went apeshit when I came across Bring on the Bad Guys as a little Riv!

Origins of Marvel Comics WAS my first. I was home after getting my tonsils removed, and my parents bought it for me as a get-well gift.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

wrong thread *ignore*
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-22-2023 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Why did they call them "Graphic Novels"? They don't use that term these days, do they?
    Yes , they still do although there haven't been that many new ones lately. They were called GN's partially for marketing I suppose since the standard GN was much longer than the standard single issue comic
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-23-2023 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I totally went apeshit when I came across Bring on the Bad Guys as a little Riv!

ignore this...nothing to see here. Didn't realize the OP is combining both collected versions of previously printed stories with graphic novels
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-22-2023 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    ignore this...nothing to see here. Didn't realize the OP is combining both collected versions of previously printed stories with graphic novels
    If a Dickens story serialized in the newspapers can be collected in book form and called a novel, or a Tarzan story serialized in Argosy and collected in book form and called a novel, then comics serialized and collected can be a graphic novel. Now if you want to use OGN (original graphic novel) to distinguish between a novel of collected previously serialized material and all new material, that's fine, but a collected edition can be and is a graphic novel. There's nothing in the term novel that inherently means it wasn't previously serialized.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I think we will have to agree to disagree. I consider a graphic novel to be a completely new work...a sort of untold tale of a certain character or characters. A collected edition is IMO like watching reruns a TV series as compared to watching a movie. For example, watching reruns of Star Trek TOS as compared to watching Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan. The Bring of the Bad Guys book just has a random group of characters and their origins reprinted. There is no continuing narrative that connects them all together. It's not the same as reprinting a six or 12 issue arc from the same title.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-23-2023 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think we will have to agree to disagree. I consider a graphic novel to be a completely new work...a sort of untold tale of a certain character or characters. A collected edition is IMO like comparing watching reruns a a TV series as compared to watch a movie. For example, watching reruns of Star Trek TOS as compared to watching Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan. For example, The Bring of the Bad Guys book just has a random group of characters and their origins reprinted. There is no continuing narrative that connects them all together. It's not the same as reprinting a six or 12 issue arc from the same title.
    And what, besides opinion or preference, is the basis for that definition? It's not the definition of novel, and it's not the definition of graphic. It seems just an arbitrary distinction made by those who want to find some way to put down the collected edition in favor of the "originals" to which my response is usually, single issues are just mass market reprints of the original art-the only way you own the original "comic" is if you own the original art for it. Otherwise it's just a matter of which format you own a mass printing of it in. I own a couple of Tarzan "first edition" hardcovers form the early 20th century, but they are not the originals, as they were serialized in Argosy before hand. Doesn't stop them from being considered novels or even the "original edition" of the story because it was the first time the entire story appeared altogether in a single publication.

Trying to separate collected edition form graphic novel just strikes mw as very arbitrary and not based on any of the standards or precedents of the publishing industry, and only works if you ignore how publishers do business in publishing stories. I've never understood the attempt to distinguish them and no one has ever been able to give me a logical, precedent and fact based reasoning to do so that doesn't devolve into the personal preference of that's the way I want to define them.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    And what, besides opinion or preference, is the basis for that definition? It's not the definition of novel, and it's not the definition of graphic. It seems just an arbitrary distinction made by those who want to find some way to put down the collected edition in favor of the "originals" to which my response is usually, single issues are just mass market reprints of the original art-the only way you own the original "comic" is if you own the original art for it. Otherwise it's just a matter of which format you own a mass printing of it in. I own a couple of Tarzan "first edition" hardcovers form the early 20th century, but they are not the originals, as they were serialized in Argosy before hand. Doesn't stop them from being considered novels or even the "original edition" of the story because it was the first time the entire story appeared altogether in a single publication.

Trying to separate collected edition form graphic novel just strikes mw as very arbitrary and not based on any of the standards or precedents of the publishing industry, and only works if you ignore how publishers do business in publishing stories. I've never understood the attempt to distinguish them and no one has ever been able to give me a logical, precedent and fact based reasoning to do so that doesn't devolve into the personal preference of that's the way I want to define them.

-M
    The distinction is that one is a serialization and not a collection of different stories. One could take FF 503 - 508 which were parts 1 - 6 of Authoritative Action, package those and call it a graphic novel. If you were to take issues 3 - 8 of FF and call those a graphic novel, does that make the same sense? Is the James Bond book "For Your Eyes Only" a novel? It contains five short stories all dealing with the same main character and a small supporting cast.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Graphic novels-trade paperbacks-omnis-whatever you want to call them. Reprints like kravens last stand to new stories like death of captain marvel. This is about all of them starting 50 years ago. Our library comic section is called "graphic novels" and they have everything from hardcovers to manga to trades to new stories to old by the way.

Bookstores like books a million comic section is "graphic novels" and so is amazons. That's the name most stores and libraries use for all trades or hardcovers. Most stores use that name. Just say this thread is for all the kinds marvel has made over the decades. But like it or not "graphic novel" is the name used most places for these books new or reprint.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]