Fantastic Member

Default Should DC go back to Archive format?

Dear Guys:

While the omnibus format is the big seller these days, are there any out there who wish DC would continue and finish some DC Archives they started ten years ago? Wish they would finish Lois Lane, Sugar and Spike, Legion of Super Heroes, etc. I think the Legion Archives stalled right before they did the Omega storyline (Brainy went mad). Do any of you feel there's more life in the Archives format?

--jthree

Incredible Member

No. The glacial release schedule means some fans have actually died of old age waiting for their favorite series to get released. DC's problem is their back catalog is absolutely massive, and it is unfortunately filled with comics that no one really cares about, so they need a cost effective way to get it out there; ideally at some point within the next century. For that purpose, the omnibus format seems to be the most efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    No. The glacial release schedule means some fans have actually died of old age waiting for their favorite series to get released. DC's problem is their back catalog is absolutely massive, and it is unfortunately filled with comics that no one really cares about, so they need a cost effective way to get it out there; ideally at some point within the next century. For that purpose, the omnibus format seems to be the most efficient.
    There are definitely diminishing returns with the archives.

Fans also don't seem to tolerate that price point any more.

I would like to see some earlier ones rereleased. I've got a bunch of Jack Cole Plastic Man. I know DC doesn't do the Spirit any more, but the hardcovers from the peak era are hard to get at reasonable prices.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

They were 50 bucks when they were last being published. Imagine what they'd be now with the rising costs of everything. So I don't think they need to go back to the Archive format. But I wish they could bring back the B&W Showcase Presents reprints.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I think focusing on the omnibus format was the right choice. It actually made the idea of reprinting large stretches of some of DC's character much more realistic. Look how much further along Superman, Wonder Woman and especially Batman have come than they did with the Archive format. Not that I don't enjoy the Archives that I own, but the pace through a character's series was so glacial with those.

I don't think the archive format is really viable in today's market. The omnibus format is definitely the way to go.

I do wish they'd employ the diversity to their omnibus line that the Archives and Showcase volumes had though. I'd love to see titles like Sgt Rock, Enemy Ace, Metal Men, Plastic Man and the Golden Age characters get the omnibus treatment.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    They were 50 bucks when they were last being published. Imagine what they'd be now with the rising costs of everything. So I don't think they need to go back to the Archive format. But I wish they could bring back the B&W Showcase Presents reprints.
    It's even worse than you think. Toward the end of the line, the Archives jumped to $59.99. Examples: Green Lantern vol. 7 and Justice League of America vol. 10.

At the very end, they jumped to $75.00. Examples: Superman Man of Tomorrow vol. 3 and Wonder Woman The Amazon Princess vol. 1. (Admittedly the page count varied.)

Fantastic Member

Definitely not. Even though I'm a huge fan of DC's classic comic series, I didn't buy that many Archives because I felt like they were a rip-off for what you were getting. I.e., when they were being produced they were roughly the same price as the Marvel Masterworks (both reprinted classic comic series) - despite the fact that the Archives had only 8 issues per volume, whereas the MMW contained 10 issues. So, not only were you spending more $ for less material, but it would also take longer for the Archives to reprint a series - due to only containing 8 issues per volume.

So, when the format finally got cancelled it didn't bother me at all.

I strongly prefer Omnibuses and/or thick color TPB's - both of which give you a lot more bang for your buck.
    Last edited by ROM Spaceknight; 12-05-2023 at 11:15 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There are definitely diminishing returns with the archives.

Fans also don't seem to tolerate that price point any more.

I would like to see some earlier ones rereleased. I've got a bunch of Jack Cole Plastic Man. I know DC doesn't do the Spirit any more, but the hardcovers from the peak era are hard to get at reasonable prices.
    Plastic Man by Jack Cole is so good. I'd double dip to get it over sized in an omnibus or in Compendium for comfort. It's my second favorite GA book behind Wonder Woman and ahead of Superman.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Not for me, too few comics for too much money. I actually stated them but gave up after a few volumes. The pace really hurt, too.

DC are launching 90's nostalgia compendiums in the next 6 months (Lobo, Tim's Robin, Nightwing, Kyle GL) and I honestly hope they sell ridiculously well so DC focus on bulking issues in relatively cheap paperbacks. I love the Marvel Epic Collections for this reason (and the compendiums are bigger!).

As it stands, so much of DC will go uncollected but if they start really taking off and DC can do all of, say, L.E.G.I.O.N. in 2 compendiums at £40 a go, then they'll be on my shelf faster than you can say "hey, that guy's got the complete L.E.G.I.O.N. on his shelf!"
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!