Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Whatever's next for the X-Men and even if there is a surviving Mutant nation and government, I hope the X-Men have nothing to do with it at least in as far as having to deal with another Quiet Council.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Whatever's next for the X-Men and even if there is a surviving Mutant nation and government, I hope the X-Men have nothing to do with it at least in as far as having to deal with another Quiet Council.
    I FULLY agree. The QC was one of the worst things about Krakoa. What with them being breath-takingly stupid, inefficient, and just plain all-around useless. Sure, let's give seats on the council to incredibly evil persons and then surprise pikachu face from Xavier when the evil members do evil things.
    placeholder signature until I can think of something.

The QC certainly had its issues (which were purposefully baked into the story to later implode) but I believe the concept of it was sound including its faults. Several mutants were shown to be in disagreement with it and Jean quit to reform the X-Men. They were in the process of shutting it down but then the Gala happened before they made the official announcement.
    I have to give credit to the concept and the whole era for making Destiny such an important player. I don't even like the character but I can't deny what this era did for her. Same for Exodus, who I believe has had his best run in comics ever.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    The QC certainly had its issues (which were purposefully baked into the story to later implode) but I believe the concept of it was sound including its faults. Several mutants were shown to be in disagreement with it and Jean quit to reform the X-Men. They were in the process of shutting it down but then the Gala happened before they made the official announcement.
    I have to give credit to the concept and the whole era for making Destiny such an important player. I don't even like the character but I can't deny what this era did for her. Same for Exodus, who I believe has had his best run in comics ever.
    Superheroes and governments rarely mix well. Even the good political leaders like Aquaman and Black Panther can't hold onto their thrones for more than five minutes these days.

Honestly this era just made me find Destiny one of the most insufferable characters along with her wife. If that was intentional, all power to them .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Superheroes and governments rarely mix well. Even the good political leaders like Aquaman and Black Panther can't hold onto their thrones for more than five minutes these days.

Honestly this era just made me find Destiny one of the most insufferable characters along with her wife. If that was intentional, all power to them .
    One of the traditional roles of super heros and part of their "power fantasy" appeal is to be the people who can solve issues the governmental institutions can't.

Criminals who outrun, outgun, outsmart the police? Super heros!
    Someone escapes the law to another country and is allready on his private jet over interntional waters? Super heros!
    A family trapped in the 60th floor of a burning building? Super heros!
    A landslide endangering a village? Super heros!
    A corrupt politician too powerfull to touch? Super heros will find the evidence!

It's the classic system of the heros being outside the system which produces or can't handle the problems, so they can step in. Which makes it a narrative problem when the super heros are either part of the system themself or worse the people in charge of it. Because suddently they are not the solvers but the producers of the mistakes and problems.

So making the X-men the official government of a nation was always going to end badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    One of the traditional roles of super heros and part of their "power fantasy" appeal is to be the people who can solve issues the governmental institutions can't.

Criminals who outrun, outgun, outsmart the police? Super heros!
    Someone escapes the law to another country and is allready on his private jet over interntional waters? Super heros!
    A family trapped in the 60th floor of a burning building? Super heros!
    A landslide endangering a village? Super heros!
    A corrupt politician too powerfull to touch? Super heros will find the evidence!

It's the classic system of the heros being outside the system which produces or can't handle the problems, so they can step in. Which makes it a narrative problem when the super heros are either part of the system themself or worse the people in charge of it. Because suddently they are not the solvers but the producers of the mistakes and problems.

So making the X-men the official government of a nation was always going to end badly.
    All of those are power fantasies of the Elite, apart from the corrupt politician one (he’s probably a friend from school).

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Ironically enough, Exodus ended up being one of the most outstanding members of the council, even if only by elimination.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Ironically enough, Exodus ended up being one of the most outstanding members of the council, even if only by elimination.
    Didn't surprise me one bit, in an old issue he compelled Genoshan mutants and humans to live in harmony while telepathically passing off as Magneto whilst still being a 'villain'.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Didn't surprise me one bit, in an old issue he compelled Genoshan mutants and humans to live in harmony while telepathically passing off as Magneto whilst still being a 'villain'.
    Wait... I thought that was Magneto passing off as Shen Xorn (or, was that Kuan-Yin Xorn) whilst still being a 'villain'
    Last edited by Micabe; 10-27-2023 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Link(s) added.

I am in total denial.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Wait... I thought that was Magneto passing off as Shen Xorn (or, was that Kuan-Yin Xorn) whilst still being a 'villain'
    Issue is Uncanny X-Men Annual 1999 so it predates the Magneto/Xorn story

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    The only thing more 'enh' than that original storyline, was the flaming heaps of nonsense writers since then have pulled with Xorn, Quire, Cassandra and Glob, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Almost makes me wonder if Krakoa had some low level tp that ...helped...everyone get along. One would think that the likes of Warren and Betsy or Lorna or Forge or Alex on the council. The Krakoa Era definitely had its favorites...
    Yes. I’ve had the same thought as you about Krakoa the mutant causing each and every character inconsistency. Possibly through hallucinagenics. It’s the magic mushrooms, I tell ye.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Yes. I’ve had the same thought as you about Krakoa the mutant causing each and every character inconsistency. Possibly through hallucinagenics. It’s the magic mushrooms, I tell ye.
    Ah, I head some head-canon that Beast ate some of those mushrooms accidentally during that party to celebrate Krakoa's founding and has been hallucinating the whole run of X-Force because of a deep fear he'll become bad.

Who else should be a candidate for a magic mushroom hallucination?
    placeholder signature until I can think of something.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Krakoa is psychically feeding off of every mutant who lives on the island, and the brain trust over at Quiet Council headquarters put *Selene and Emplate* in charge of making sure the whole thing doesn't go hilariously catastrophically wrong...

So there's definitely a plethora of possibilities for why Krakoans have been acting out of character.