Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default "The Beginning Of The End Of Krakoa"

I figured I'd use the title of Gerry Duggan's substack entry last week as the title of the thread.
    In case you haven't read it: https://gerryduggan.substack.com/p/t...-end-of-krakoa

"What a trip it’s been.

Jonathan, Pepe, RB and Marte started the mutants on a journey years ago in and the end of the road is just over the horizon. It’s been a privilege to collaborate with so many creators, editors, and senior leadership at Marvel, on the most ambitious undertaking many of have ever attempted.

But all good things.

When Senior Editor Jordan D. White passes the X to incoming mutant rookie Tom Brevoort the sun will set on the Krakoan Age.

We swung big.

If you’ve been enjoying the ride, even as darkness has encroached upon the mutants, then the good news is there are some killer comics coming your way. Kieron, RB, Lucas and yours truly are working on an exclamation point for the age of Krakoa, and once last time the entire line will pivot in a new direction.

However, if you’re interested in seeing a different take on the X-Men, then you’ve got good news coming in 2024 as well. New editors, new creators, new stories, and in the end — isn’t that what you most want out of your comics?

The new.

Tom is often fond of saying that “life’s too short for bad comics”. I can’t wait to return to being a fan of the X-Men and see what happens next.

Endings are precious. You don’t always get to write the magic words…

…The End.
    "

We learned from Tom Brevoort's substack entry yesterday that the first script of his new era has been sent to the artist. Things are moving quickly!

We're also seeing more and more Marvel marketing reminding us that the end is near, today's Illyana variant reveal being the most recent example:
    "Check out Artgerm's variant cover for January's 'Fall of the House of X' #1, the series that will conclude the X-Men's Krakoa era...

This January, the epic finale of the X-Men’s revolutionary Krakoan Age will take place across two milestone series: Gerry Duggan and Lucas Werneck’s FALL OF THE HOUSE OF X and Kieron Gillen and R.B. Silva’s RISE OF THE POWERS OF X...

Out of the darkness of FALL OF X, the X-Men must reunite for a dramatic battle across time and space that will decide the future of mutantkind."

May this thread serve as a place to discuss all things Krakoa. What we loved about it, what we didn't love about it, what we hope might survive the transition, and what we hope is gone forever.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

See I don’t want new. I don’t want old either. Both of those words mean very little to me.
    What I want is quality. Quality in writing. Quality in drawing. Quality in editing. I want the characters I have read about, the ones I am invested in to star in these comics.
    If the want to add new themes or settings doesn’t matter so much as the characters are true. Introduce new characters or don’t, neither is a must.

Of the many things I'm hoping for in the new era, I want to feel more of the closeness between characters. Quiet moments like the conversations between Sunspot and Wrongslide, Magneto and Storm, even Emma and Storm (when Kate was killed) always stood out to me. We had some good Green Lagoon scenes but I felt like with all the mutants being in one place there were a lot of missed opportunities to see friends catching up again, new bonds being formed, etc. It wasn't completely absent but I'd like to see it leaned into more in the coming era.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

What I first and foremost want is Percy gone from X-force.
    I want good writing and then. And i hope the mission statements for all books make sense. Thus the books can stop canceling at 12 issues.
    I loved this Era it brought me back during that dark period after The Phoenix 5 saga. In between that I stopped because I felt Marvel was tearing the X-men down.
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I will miss the Krakoan era terribly. I'm not necessarily married to one status quo or setting in particular, anything can work for me as long as the creative teams are firing on all cylinders, but this era was a breath of fresh air after many years of weak storytelling across the X-books - it offered something bold and new, cast so many characters in new settings, teams, helped forge new relationships and overall delivered a large number of quality stories and books.

I also liked the idea of all or most X-people living together and the books being closely connected, giving you the idea you were reading a weekly X-soap opera. Again, I'm also happy with books being more self-contained if the quality is there, I just hope characters who should be close to each other still get the chance to interact regularly even if they're in different books under different creative teams. This is something I sometimes lamented during the current era as well and with the new crop of writers likely working less closely together than the X-Slack team, it is something I worry about for the future.

I only interested in a real change from Krakoa if its a top notch writer with a clear vision and direction. Otherwise Krakoa is the change from what we suffered from AvX to HoX. I don't think every writer has the same quality as Hickman but the franchise feels connected and fresh. I'm interested to see where its going but I'm not hopefully its going to be as impactful as HoX.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Of the many things I'm hoping for in the new era, I want to feel more of the closeness between characters. Quiet moments like the conversations between Sunspot and Wrongslide, Magneto and Storm, even Emma and Storm (when Kate was killed) always stood out to me. We had some good Green Lagoon scenes but I felt like with all the mutants being in one place there were a lot of missed opportunities to see friends catching up again, new bonds being formed, etc. It wasn't completely absent but I'd like to see it leaned into more in the coming era.
    For me that is the glue. What holds both the world and my interest in it together. Without it, it all falls apart for me.

I think the ending of the Krakoan era is a little bit premature. The books have not all been perfect but the mutants never felt so original and fresh since Morrison IMO.

That being said, I'm always very excited for change and i'm getting curious on what direction the books will go.
    A picture would last longer darling...

I wish that the DoX writers had tried harder to think outside the box at launch. There were so many missed opportunities.

I wish they had done more with the War Captains and I think there should have been more of them.

I wish they had done more with the younger generations. GenX / Academy X-men / Gen Hope

There could have been so much exploration but they failed to execute that.

Honestly looking back at the those first two years the writers should have not done their slow burn stories and tried to do more focused arcs that could have evolved from now having Krakoa.

I can think of any right off the top of my head but there are so many story beats that people came up with that would have been great to explore.\

There are a couple of panels in HoX that made me feel a certain way and I wish we had more of those moment in the Krakoa era.
    Last edited by CGAR; 10-23-2023 at 03:40 PM.

I don't want Krakoa to end. I want Krakoa to evolve
    The xmen deserve to have nice things

Extraordinary Member

I wont miss it. At all. Anything that was good could have happened in any number of other settings. Stories I liked such as Hellions, Children of the Atom and parts of Cable would have worked just as well on their own, and actually much better.

Good riddance (for my own interest).

I do miss not knowing what Hickman's big story was that needed a weird death cult living on a vampiric island really was going to be.

BANNED

It is time to admit the crucible was really stupid and nonsensical. Also wtf was X of Swords.

Besides that, the Krakoa setting was pretty great overall, and the only reason I believe we are headed back to the mansion is because Marvel brass is just that old and boring.

I wonder if they will set Destiny and Mystique back to their traditional status quo.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    It is time to admit the crucible was really stupid and nonsensical. Also wtf was X of Swords.

Besides that, the Krakoa setting was pretty great overall, and the only reason I believe we are headed back to the mansion is because Marvel brass is just that old and boring.

I wonder if they will set Destiny and Mystique back to their traditional status quo.

This ESPECIALLY!!! I do not understand how anyone in Marvel thought THAT was the best idea to run with. It killed most my interested in the Krakoa era at first and did nothing to get back on track. I said it then, and I'll say it now X of Swords should have been a "summer blockbuster" type event, where the mutants essentially threw their weigh around with an enemy we weren't familiar but in a familiar setting. Instead, we got a jumbled, half-jovial, half-serious, incompatible mess that did no favors to the goodwill the start of Krakoa elicited. I do not get how their first major crossover was such a confusing, nonsensical, unfulfilling mess!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I figured I'd use the title of Gerry Duggan's substack entry last week as the title of the thread.
    In case you haven't read it: https://gerryduggan.substack.com/p/t...-end-of-krakoa

"What a trip it’s been.

Jonathan, Pepe, RB and Marte started the mutants on a journey years ago in and the end of the road is just over the horizon. It’s been a privilege to collaborate with so many creators, editors, and senior leadership at Marvel, on the most ambitious undertaking many of have ever attempted.

But all good things.

When Senior Editor Jordan D. White passes the X to incoming mutant rookie Tom Brevoort the sun will set on the Krakoan Age.

We swung big.

If you’ve been enjoying the ride, even as darkness has encroached upon the mutants, then the good news is there are some killer comics coming your way. Kieron, RB, Lucas and yours truly are working on an exclamation point for the age of Krakoa, and once last time the entire line will pivot in a new direction.

However, if you’re interested in seeing a different take on the X-Men, then you’ve got good news coming in 2024 as well. New editors, new creators, new stories, and in the end — isn’t that what you most want out of your comics?

The new.

Tom is often fond of saying that “life’s too short for bad comics”. I can’t wait to return to being a fan of the X-Men and see what happens next.

Endings are precious. You don’t always get to write the magic words…

…The End.
    "

We learned from Tom Brevoort's substack entry yesterday that the first script of his new era has been sent to the artist. Things are moving quickly!

We're also seeing more and more Marvel marketing reminding us that the end is near, today's Illyana variant reveal being the most recent example:
    "Check out Artgerm's variant cover for January's 'Fall of the House of X' #1, the series that will conclude the X-Men's Krakoa era...

This January, the epic finale of the X-Men’s revolutionary Krakoan Age will take place across two milestone series: Gerry Duggan and Lucas Werneck’s FALL OF THE HOUSE OF X and Kieron Gillen and R.B. Silva’s RISE OF THE POWERS OF X...

Out of the darkness of FALL OF X, the X-Men must reunite for a dramatic battle across time and space that will decide the future of mutantkind."

May this thread serve as a place to discuss all things Krakoa. What we loved about it, what we didn't love about it, what we hope might survive the transition, and what we hope is gone forever.

They could fix Wrongslide. Theres a battle across time and space..... maybe in one of those times or spaces they find the real rockslide.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I wish that the DoX writers had tried harder to think outside the box at launch. There were so many missed opportunities.

I wish they had done more with the War Captains and I think there should have been more of them.

I wish they had done more with the younger generations. GenX / Academy X-men / Gen Hope

There could have been so much exploration but they failed to execute that.

Honestly looking back at the those first two years the writers should have not done their slow burn stories and tried to do more focused arcs that could have evolved from now having Krakoa.

I can think of any right off the top of my head but there are so many story beats that people came up with that would have been great to explore.\

There are a couple of panels in HoX that made me feel a certain way and I wish we had more of those moment in the Krakoa era.
    I agree w/ this. I feel like there was so much cool world building to be done at the start of this era, and even when they extended things w/ Hickman gone, once Judgement Day hit it’s just felt like a slow march to tearing things down. Even when they created a new concept like the Waiting Room or the Phoenix Foundation, it’s like the books were unwilling to explore it.

I’ve accepted the fact that we might see something more “traditional” after this, so my only concern is the creative team and quality of writing.