Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default Amazons Attack #1 - discussion, spoiler

“After the shocking events in Wonder Woman, the Amazons are now fighting for a world that no longer wants them! Led by their fearless Queen Nubia, a ragtag group of Amazons featuring Wonder Girl and Faruka II frantically searches for answers as their existence and way of life are threatened. Will the tribes survive their new reputation? Find out in this roller coaster of a debut issue! Brought to you by rising stars Josie Campbell (The New Champion of Shazam!) and Vasco Georgiev (Batman: Urban Legends), this series promises to be an action-packed adventure featuring the greatest warrior women in the DCU!”

This was fun..I think I liked it way better than her Wonder Woman horror nights. I wish they would’ve selected a different writer like Steph Williams…I also agree that the story would’ve been better with Cassie instead of Mary…but if Cassie will become a supporting cast member of Wonder Woman than I guess it will be ok. But it was a cool read! Also..is Yara changing her super name as well?

All I can say is that I am really confused and tired....

While it was in WW2...the story that leads directly into AA - WHY DO WE NEED ANOTHER PROPHECY that the Amazons will be wiped out if Yara doesnt unite the 3 tribes? Arent they already united? Wasnt the whole point of TotA to bring them in as 1? Arent they all supposed to be immortal now? The very thing the Bana were fighting for? Yet here....they are not immortal?

Why do we need to unite these destined warriors (this very team) to save all Amazons? I dont get it.

That was good! I laughed out loud TWICE!

All the bickering was fun, especially Faruka's lines. If she keeps it up my least favorite may become my first. It appears things aren't quite as unified among the 3 tribes as the final events of Trial of the Amazons lead us to believe, which is significant because a team needs conflict to keep it interesting. That it was so tied to recent history was great and really helped clarify things about where we are with King's story, continuity wise.

Things like Nubia's limo (it reminded me of The West Wing or Succession or something), her qualities as a leader, her meeting with the president, the pro and con protesters, the mental radio mention and the finally resurfaced Amazon Embassy I thought was all but forgotten about, actually added more weight to Wonder Woman's book for me. Io's fear and insistence provided gravity too.

Issue #1 was just what I wanted, a nice change of pace that compliments the main title, well.

Primal Slayer Primal Slayer

All I can say is that I am really confused and tired....

While it was in WW2...the story that leads directly into AA - WHY DO WE NEED ANOTHER PROPHECY that the Amazons will be wiped out if Yara doesnt unite the 3 tribes? Arent they already united? Wasnt the whole point of TotA to bring them in as 1? Arent they all supposed to be immortal now? The very thing the Bana were fighting for? Yet here....they are not immortal?

Why do we need to unite these destined warriors (this very team) to save all Amazons? I dont get it.
    Agree
    Boring and repetitive, I hope it improves with the next issues.

I really enjoyed it ^.^
    Continues right off of the back issue in Wonder Woman, with a nice conceit establishing why this group is all together.
    The dynamic between Io and Nubia was pretty sweet.
    The motivation on Nubias part was pretty good.
    Faruka is being her usual self which is refreshing and as wild as I hoped for her being on the team.
    Yara trying to help but not knowing what shes doing is pretty on brand.

And the Marvel family is a favorite of mine so Mary was someone I like to see here. It established some dynamics between the characters, set the scene of the plot, and gave us a nice premise that explains how they got into this mess.

Im looking forward to more. ^.^

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Its interesting that other villains are taking advantage of the chaos to make things worse. Gotta love a good false flag operation.

So decent start overall, curious how this is going to go and what villains will be involved in all this.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

That brat mary marvel showing up and being the only one that can fly. Isn't yara supposed to be a super amazon too? Why is Josie Campbell writing this? She doesn't care about WW lore. She only cares about mary annoying marvel.
    Last edited by WonderLight789; 10-25-2023 at 06:03 AM.

No more major prophecies for the Amazons. ty.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    That brat mary marvel showing up and being the only one that can fly. Isn't yara supposed to be a super amazon too? Why is Josie Campbell writing this? She doesn't care about WW lore. She only cares about mary annoying marvel.
    Yara doesn’t fly on her own. She has Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Yara doesn’t fly on her own. She has Jerry
    mary marvel also the only one with super speed? So yara is just regular super human? All amazons are weak or what? We never see anything impressive about their power.

mary marvel also the only one with super speed? So yara is just regular super human? All amazons are weak or what? We never see anything impressive about their power.
    You didn’t say speed in your last post. Yara is a pretty fast Amazon and so is Nubia…Faruka isnt gifted just skilled.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    You didn’t say speed in your last post. Yara is a pretty fast Amazon and so is Nubia…Faruka isnt gifted just skilled.
    Nubia and Yara have no speed feats. What did they ever do speed wise that is impressive?

Nubia and Yara have no speed feats. What did they ever do speed wise that is impressive?
    Have you read Future state Superman/Wonder Woman? She displayed some type of speed in issue 1 I believe when she caught a helicopter. Nubia of the amazons also show a good display of Nubia’s abilities and she was pretty fast when she fought the monster in dooms doorway. The thing you should be wondering is why Josie made Mary catch Nubia when she fell out the window when Nubia could land on her feet.

I'm wondering how the big bad in AA Asylum or whatever is linked to the Sovereign and his efforts to destroy the Amazons. Also wondering if the lady that burned down the convenience store in WW #2 was an Amazon, it seemed as if something flew past her and landed at her feet as she was pumping gas. She looked down at it and was possessed. Will the villain continue to inhabit her form, or is she now the villain herself? Hopefully it's the latter because she appears to be a good foil for Nubia visually and there aren't enough bad girls of color. However, because there were others that had golden-eyed possession in AA I doubt it, but it would be nice.