Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Default Uncanny Spider-Man #2 review and spoilers

I’m really enjoying this series.

Like issue 1, this felt like a good old-fashioned romp.

We start with Kurt trying to get through to the confused and aggressive Mystique in Central Park. Amidst her confusion she is looking for her missing baby and I think we get the first ever mention of Irene in regards to Kurt’s mysterious birth?

She throws him off and runs, the dialog makes it clear that this is not the first time Kurt has tried to get through to his errant mummy.

Ghost Bamf (GB) turns up again, to poke Kurt and irritate him, they are interrupted by an angel in the form of Dagger! I haven’t seen Tanya for years. She and Cloak are being hassled by Orchis, being superhumans but not mutants doesn’t stop them from getting flack, she’s worried that Cloak will not react calmly to the harassment. She tries to get Kurt to interact more with the non-mutant hero community in NY.

After she has gone, Kurt’s introspection is rudely interrupted by Rhino as per the cover. This leads into the sequence we saw in the previews of Silver Sable and the Orchis operative controlling Rhino (who SS refers to as Manbun… real name Mr Travers) monitoring the attack from a van filled with monitors and tech. SS notices that Rhino is wearing a headpiece similar to the one Kurt was wearing when he was killing the human heads of state (I don’t remember such a headpiece, will have to go back and check, but if it's a retcon, it’s a minor one).

Data Page from Orchis re Project Lykoourgos which is the sinister tech in question.

Silver Sable’s team want to activate their plan, she doesn’t but Manbun has cut her comms so they go ahead, trapping Kurt under a force shield then hitting him with a sedation dart and a snare.

While SS and her second in command, Kremer, argue over the chain of command, Kurt uses the Hope Sword to cut through the snare. SS says that magic swords weren’t in his file while subduing him again. And grabbing that famous tail. She seems impressed (amateur, some of us have been after that tail for decades…) she has also forgotten Rhino, who is not in the mood for discussing Kurt’s soft tail and is trapped in the force shield with them.

Kurt teleports himself and Silver Sable away; forcefield is above and around them, not below.

They end up in the tunnels below Central Park in the pitch black for a bonding session across a nine panel spread in the dark. Silver Sable still has hold on his tail, just sayin’. He recognises her accent and visited Symkaria while in the circus. Can I just add that it’s so refreshing to have Kurt’s travelling circus life (and his ability to see in low light) referenced again, it feels like decades since anyone noticed or cared. He tells her of seeing a murmuration of starlings is typically charming Kurt style.

Kissing ensues. She’s still got hold of that tail. Not that I am envious or anything.

Their romantic moment is derailed by Rhino who is burrowing down to them. Kurt teleports himself and Rhino up and out high above the ground, Rhino crashes down on top of the van being used by Orchis and Siver Sable’s team. Kurt makes his getaway.

Silver Sable confesses that this gig might be more difficult than anticipated.

Well, I found it delightful.

Various plot points (Mystique, Kurt’s history, Orchis mind control tech) were advanced. Spider cast such as Dagger and Rhino are being used well. Ghost Bamf is still an enigma, we get no further clues. It does sound rather like David/Legion, who is conspicuous by his absence, rather than the golden baby Bamf born in Sins of Sinister.

After a shaky start, Si Spurrier seems to have settled on a version of Kurt his fans will recognise and like; witty, quipping, charming, but also smart, compassionate and introspective, it’s a shame it seemed to take so long for Si to get a handle on him.

What does everyone else think?

Totally agree that Spurrier finally seems to be enjoying writing Nightcrawler. The Silver Sable horniness came on a little too heavy (like stand UP girl!), but overall it was a really entertaining issue.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 10-25-2023 at 08:09 AM.

I'm really glad Spurrier finally gets to have fun ! It sounds delightful cannot wait to read it

This was a pretty good issue. It's the only Nightcrawler I've seen Spurrier write that feels like Kurt, so while there are a few elements I'm not so sure about - the Mystique storyline, the sword, and Silver Sable's over-the-top flirtation - I'm enjoying the ride.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

I’m really enjoying this book, I agree with everyone that Spurrier has finally started to enjoy writing for Kurt and he feels more recognisable to me again.

I’m so glad we’re not dragging out the mind control plot, everyone knows Kurt wasn’t himself, lets move on.

I really appreciate all the highlight’s of Kurt’s underused abilities. Very rarely do we get a showing of his Night vision, fast metabolism and possibly a little hint towards shadow-blending?

Silver Sable was laying it on thick but that just made it all the more funny and enjoyable. It’s deliberately over the top, but not so much that it takes you away from the important, deeper moments.

I’m interested in Mystiques little slip that Destiny told her to do something with Baby Kurt and then she went back to castle for something…or someone. Was Destiny at the castle the whole time!

Dagger riding around on a scooter was surreal.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

This was Good. 8/10 for me.

LOL Kurt is such a Ladies man I LOVE it.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

This was really good! Loved Silver keeping hold of his tail all that time, and Dagger just passing through on a scooter.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I thought this was a very fun issue. Kurt running into typical Spider-Man supporting characters and villains is a cute take and Spurrier seems to be writing him more in-character than usual. The art is also lovely.

And so as people speculated, they seem to be hinting that it was Irene's doing that caused Raven to abandon baby Kurt...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Dagger riding around on a scooter was surreal.
    Lol, I thought was hilarious. Hope she and Cloak get their mutant statues back.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Lol, I thought was hilarious. Hope she and Cloak get their mutant statues back.

Marvel wants to have their cake and eat it too so they do not cleanly undo the “not X-gene mutants” retcon

Who was the sole source for this claim ?

Dr Nemesis , who is already proven to be an Untrustworthy Authority (the X-Men’s eXpy of TV’s Dr House who was such a WW2 Isolationist he became an actual supervillain Nazi collaborator and unwitting Holocaust-enabler ; of course he later tried to make up for it by hunting them down for decades ala Deadpool and StEvil’s Hydra , but still he’s damaged goods)

Meanwhile , Who said that Dagger is in fact actually a X-gene mutant? A Stark Sentinel , who is incapable of lying at all LOL

I would be perfectly fine if Cloak and Dagger were mutants again.

Now that I think about it. Kurt and Tandy would be an interesting pairing.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.