Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Legion of Superheroes/Star Trek

Has anyone read this? Is it any good? Thought about getting it.
    Assassinate Putin!

I'm pretty sure I've read it... don't remember a thing about it.

^^^Same.

I remember I didn’t hate it.

Also read it, but didn't find it remarkable. Also don't remember hating it, though, so, I guess that's a plus. I remember it had art by Jeff/Philip Moy, which I never was a big fan of, however, it was supposed to be the original Legion, and not the Post ZH, which are mostly associated with them.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 10-25-2023 at 01:25 PM.

That's what all the reviews said! It's not memorable.
    Assassinate Putin!

For some reason this thread made me go and re-read Green Lantern/Space Ghost this afternoon. Still holds up!

Astonishing Member

The art by Jeff Moy wasn't really appropriate -- even though he had worked on (Archie) Legion in the 90s.

I think I might go back and re-read it. Unfortunately, I have so much on the line, waiting for me to read, so I don't know if I'll be able to make it anytime soon.

Peace

Ultimate Member

Just to throw another 'meh' on the pile, I'm a huge fan of both Star Trek *and* the Legion of Super-Heroes, and I also remember very little about this, only that, at some point, dozens of Talokkians were shown creating darkfields, which is a mostly unique power handed down mystically only to the Shadow Champion (and her cousin, Grev).

I got the impression from that scene that the writers didn't really know much about the Legion, although I didn't catch any glaring Star Trek glitches.

Even then, obviously it was an AU, since Star Trek and the Legion don't exist in the same universe, and occur *six centuries apart,* so I'm fine with some changes, and I *wanted* to like it, as a fan of both properties, but it was really kind of uninteresting to me. It wasn't a good Legion story, nor was it a good Star Trek story, which was... disappointing.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 10-26-2023 at 05:08 PM.

I'll be honest, I'm not the most familiar with the entire history of the Legion. But it looked interesting in that it look like it's supposed to be the "original" versions of both teams. The TOS version of Trek and the pre-Crisis Legion. That's what caught my eye. Thank you all for your responses. I'll have to take it into consideration.
    Assassinate Putin!

I thought it was alright. I recall Spock and Brainy having some fun interactions.

Astonishing Member

Had this been produced in the 1970s -- Dave Cockrum would have been all over it. He even illustrated 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' adaptation Marvel produced -- as well as a few issues of the ongoing series. Moy's art was just too cartoony. That may have affected my reaction to the series more than the writing, but it's been too long to recall.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I can get past the art. The story was actually kinda fun. Love these covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I can get past the art. The story was actually kinda fun. Love these covers.

Jimenez really captured the essence of Kirk here. And the rifle is not subtle!!
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Jimenez really captured the essence of Kirk here. And the rifle is not subtle!!
    They should have had him do the interiors! I want to see him draw the entire crew of the Enterprise!
    Assassinate Putin!