Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Kwannon appearance lasted a second and was long enough to her to act completely out of character…

I thought this issue was bad. The Cap speech was okay but nothing to rousing. The dialogue is mostly what made the issue not land for me. It was weird, juvenile and honestly awkward. It made me feel like Duggan didn’t actually write this issue as I normally enjoy his writing and dialogue. Just didn’t work for me today I suppose.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't Synch like her only age appropriate love interest...
    I’ve BEEN side eyeing Jamie for sleeping w/ Siryn and Monet as both seemed much younger than him. But then again he did end up marrying a woman he basically babysat.

Also I guess Darwin was age appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I’ve BEEN side eyeing Jamie for sleeping w/ Siryn and Monet as both seemed much younger than him. But then again he did end up marrying a woman he basically babysat.

Also I guess Darwin was age appropriate?
    X-Factor is kind of weird because art and writing wise they were all basically written close in age to each other.

Layla is a whole different can of worms .

Fall Of X is like the attack of the mid stories. At last with Krakoa out of the way we can finally catch up on what is happening with the Unity Team and Alpha Squadzzzzzzz

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

This book started out pretty strong and then segued with a weak #2 and #3. The pacing is just terrible - the main story saw very little progression in this issue while something potentially fun - the attraction between Pietro and Monet - was rushed through the door with no build-up, making it feel kinda awkward and forced.

Also, I really hope Gerry Duggan gets to write Daredevil eventually because he keeps going back to Born Again and DD characters so please Marvel give this man a Daredevil book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Yeah that was bad. I liked Bunn's X-Men a lot except that part. Like, please. Monet would never.
    According to Chris Claremont himself , in an online interview when he was writing Exiles , heroic/noble AoA Sabretooth is a certifiable Sexy Beast (presumably on the level of other CC's male SB's such as Nightcrawler and Gambit) , and 616-Inverted Sabretooth is basically an eXpy of AoA Sabretooth

And previouslly Monet already dated Guido AFTER he was resurrected by Laila as “soul-less” i.e. amorally villainous , and Guido also has roughly the same body-type as Victor after all LOL

As for Kwannon acting OOC , No-Prize, the psychic aftereffects of the bodyswap and later-apparent fusion with Betsy in Kwannon’s own Japanese body , after Betsy’s original English body —- which was Kwannon’s host body when she was Revanche and in which she was apparently resurrected and killed again in Fraction’s Sisterhood run --- reasonably GOES BOTH WAYS after all
    Last edited by EldonMaguan; 10-27-2023 at 10:43 AM.

Incredible Member

This comic continues with un-apologetically being a trashy soap opera, and I am all here for it.

Quicksilver and Monet's relationship developed even faster than his superspeed, but still, I am enjoying the interaction. The only thing we need next issue is one of Monet's former lovers to come out of a coma with amnesia.

Cap's speech was a little preachy, but not too preachy, and decently well written. What is amazing is that this is the only issue, and comic, that actually shows how the average civilian feels. Every other book just keep telling the reader that anti-mutant sentiment is on the rise but not actually showing what that means. Stasis chuckling with Modok that human recruitment is up by %% for Orchis is meaningless when Orchis is just a bunch of red-shirts.

I don't think an Old Lady would be as easily swayed out of anti-mutant rhetoric based on this one speech, but I am fine with it since it is more used for the comedic effect ("An old lady threw her drink at Steve! Har-har).

In terms of the bad - Duggan continues to show that he is not good at team books and juggling characters. There has been a consistent pattern of him only being able to focus on 2-3 characters an issue, with every other character feeling sidelined without purpose. Completely remove those scenes/panels, and nothing would change. Contrast that with Gillen's Immortal X-men, where although he focuses on 1-2 characters an issue, the remaining background characters still somehow are involved in moving the plot forward. Remove those scenes/panels, and the comic issue would feel like it is missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    This book started out pretty strong and then segued with a weak #2 and #3. The pacing is just terrible - the main story saw very little progression in this issue while something potentially fun - the attraction between Pietro and Monet - was rushed through the door with no build-up, making it feel kinda awkward and forced.

Also, I really hope Gerry Duggan gets to write Daredevil eventually because he keeps going back to Born Again and DD characters so please Marvel give this man a Daredevil book.
    I pretty much feel the same way about this series. I decided to pick up this issue when I heard Monet had a good showing which I've been hoping for. I did love at the end how she was confident and exerted dominance in the execution of her plan. Unfortunately that's the only thing I liked as the Quicksilver pairing happened unbelievably fast. I don't mind the pairing itself but I don't recall any indication that one was eyeing the other. Even when Pietro said that he'll suffer no more of her taunts, I had to think back and couldn't remember said taunts outside of how she normally is with everyone.

Cap's speech was way lighter than I was hoping it would be. If he's going to speak to the public about mutants and Orchis, why no mention that they tried to kill him? Maybe we can say he didn't mention it because "presumption of innocence" but that's been my biggest issue with the series, the seemingly dropped plot of the attempted hit on his life. That was a big part of the FCBD story that ushered this series in. They blew up a very busy and well known bridge in NYC in an attempt to murder Captain America. The Orchis insignias were clearly visible on the assassins' clothing. There had to be cameras everywhere so where's the investigation? I was hoping part of this series would have been about Cap going after Orchis because they tried to kill him and getting the truth about that out to the world. At the very least he could have asked Ben to look into it to use as public ammo against Orchis. So yeah, the speech fell flat for me and imo it wasn't in character for Kwannon and Monet to swoon, not only over Steve Rogers, but about anything.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

I’m going with a mixing of cap not going too hard against Orchis to work the crowd (they don’t know the details and ‘whole story’ might sound ridiculously over the top and thus, unbelievable and marvel wants to drag this out more and keep Orchis as a threat working the shadows for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Misery loves company and I'm a miserable bitch.
    Lol! That’s no excuse! (though your original point stands, quicksilver is better than sabertooth. Going back to forgetting that story, though, thank very much… )

Something else I forgot to mention, does the Uncanny team know that Orchis is going to kill an exponential amount of humans for every mutant they see on Earth or does only Charles know? Cap just paraded a bunch out in public, right next to an Orchis base. I really hope this is addressed during the run because it was Duggan's own rule.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Quicksilver x Monet is weird for me, because on the one hand I think their personalities fit together well. But on the other hand, she's in her early twenties at best, and Quicksilver is like 35. Girl's been with older men before but still.
    Quicksilver is the same age as either Scott or Hank, and according to the editors at Marvel they are in that eternal 28-29 age group that cannot turn 30 (which is weird because originally Beast was a year or two older than Scott-Warren-Jean, but I swear he is written as much older now).

Actually Siryn and Jaime should be around the same age (he was a teen when introduced originally) and they were in that same teen group (well, her and one of his dupes) that the Vanisher was manipulating in Fallen Angels. They are both older than Monet though, but they seem to be written as close in age now

Ever since Gen X ended, Monet has been pretty consistently been treated by writers and artists like she’s at least, like, 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Something else I forgot to mention, does the Uncanny team know that Orchis is going to kill an exponential amount of humans for every mutant they see on Earth or does only Charles know? Cap just paraded a bunch out in public, right next to an Orchis base. I really hope this is addressed during the run because it was Duggan's own rule.
    I think that was only for if the exiled mutants tried to return. Duggan said in an interview that Orchis was well aware that not ever mutant on the planet was near a Gate at that moment, so there'd be a remnant population of mutants to deal with. I don't think the threat applied to them.