Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Uncanny Avengers #3 Spoilers + Review

Preview Pages:
    • The team gets a distress call from Captain America, and rushes to his side at the X-Men's burned out Treehouse in Central Park
    • The distress call was a ruse, Cap just wanted to get the team together for a stump speech he is giving to the public.

Post-Preview:
    • Cap delivers his speech, reminding the public (including Ben Urich) that the current incarnation of the Unity Squad features multiple mutant teammates
    • A mutant-hating flatscan old lady throws a coffee at him
    • Expresses his belief in the American ideals of respect for individuality, bravery in the face of the unknown, and fearlessness in the face of diversity
    • Tells the public he does not trust ORCHIS because they seem to have a vested interest in sowing social divisions.
    • Rogue thanks Cap for what he's doing for mutants with his speech, and is dispatched to find out more information about the human witness to the Hellfire Gala Massacre. Captain America wants to introduce them to Ben Urich to clear the mutants' good name
    • Monet and Quicksilver run off (literally) to Washington DC; they flirt heavily but he has no idea why they're there. She tells him to go along with her plan.
    • Monet noticed the scent of an expensive, rare perfume when the Unity Squad fought Fenris. Good character work here as Monet's hoity-toity aristocratic background is on full display; they disguise themselves and go into a high-end store Monet knows sells the perfume, to look for clues.
    • Fenris is in the store. A fight ensues; M and Quicksilver defeat Fenris pretty easily but they refuse to reveal the identity of "Captain Krakoa" for fear they will be killed. They are trained to resist telepathic control so M can't just pull the information out of their minds.
    • Fenris escapes while Monet is trying to keep the building from collapsing on civilians. She flirts with Quicksilver more and they kiss after he reveals he bugged them with their Avengers trackers. They head back to New York. They're also definitely going to...get to know each other a bit better, if you catch my drift.
    • Back in NYC, Ben Urich and Captain America are waiting for the Hellfire Gala witness to show up. They don't want to reveal their identity, but have agreed to meet under the condition Captain America be present. Surprise! It's Kingpin.

I really enjoyed this issue, the plot is moving forward at a relatively fast pace but there's still good character work throughout, especially for M. Bonus points given for the fact that she does not appear in Penance form the entire issue; all of her action scenes have her using flight, super strength, and telepathy. Cap's speech could have easily been cheesy, and for some it probably was, but I found it relatively well-written, all things considered. I'm excited to keep reading.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 4.22.55 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 4.20.53 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 4.22.31 PM.jpg
    Last edited by davetvs; 10-25-2023 at 01:23 PM.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

This was pretty Good. I give it a 7/10.

I really liked the interaction Monet and Pietro are giving each other it's strange and cute at the same time. Like Opposites attract.

I was not moved by Steve's Speech. It was Good, but I wasn't moved by it. I felt this was a missed opportunity for Steve to tell the people about themselves and how ridiculous their hatred of Mutants really are.

For, example the little Old Woman who threw a cup of coffee or whatever it was and then was easily swayed by Steve's speech. And then says "I've always hated the X-Men" lol i'm sure she doesn't even know why.
    Last edited by Cyclone_Ablaze; 10-25-2023 at 01:37 PM.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

I enjoyed this issue, especially the dynamic between M and Quicksilver. Their battle with the twins was brief, but it showcased their strategic edge as well as their powers, which I enjoyed. I’m excited about the idea of a romance between the two. I also liked Cap’s speech. It would’ve been nice to see more of Rogue and Kwannon, but there’s only so much page space. I hope this mini isn’t the last we see of this team because I feel like it has more potential than a five issue mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    This was pretty Good. I give it a 7/10.

I really liked the interaction Monet and Pietro are giving each other it's strange and cute at the same time. Like Opposites attract.

I was not moved by Steve's Speech. It was Good, but I wasn't moved by it. I felt this was a missed opportunity for Steve to tell the people about themselves and how ridiculous their hatred of Mutants really are.

For, example the little Old Woman who threw a cup of coffee or whatever it was and then was easily swayed by Steve's speech. And then says "I've always hated the X-Men" lol i'm sure she doesn't even know why.
    If this were the typical mutant bigotry, as displayed by ORCHIS, I’d agree with you. But average humans have a fair few reasons to at least be uncertain about mutantkind by this point. They split off into another nation and telepathically broadcast into everyone’s mind to tell them about it, Magneto declared mutants to be humankind’s new gods, and they openly had known villains on their ruling council. Add to that all of ORCHIS’ manipulations, like the poisoned medicine, and without having the reader’s point of view, the human on the street would naturally feel unsettled.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

Quicksilver x Monet is weird for me, because on the one hand I think their personalities fit together well. But on the other hand, she's in her early twenties at best, and Quicksilver is like 35. Girl's been with older men before but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Quicksilver x Monet is weird for me, because on the one hand I think their personalities fit together well. But on the other hand, she's in her early twenties at best, and Quicksilver is like 35. Girl's been with older men before but still.
    I did wonder if anyone was going to be miffed by that; theoretically it's the same age difference as Paige/Warren but that happened when the Generation X team was still firmly teenage-coded. Post X-Factor Investigations they seem to have been moved into adulthood, like Magik.

Astonishing Member

There's also the factor that 'Pietro is VASTLY less problematic than Sabretooth' for those of us who still have that whole thing lingering in our awareness, lol.

Incredible Member

I feel stupid for not thinking of fisk as the witness. He was right there but it never once occurred to me it would be him.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    There's also the factor that 'Pietro is VASTLY less problematic than Sabretooth' for those of us who still have that whole thing lingering in our awareness, lol.
    Yeah that was bad. I liked Bunn's X-Men a lot except that part. Like, please. Monet would never.

I am so glad that someone finally remembered that Monet has powers beyond that Penance form. Hell, I’m pretty sure this is the first time since pre-Krakoa that we’ve seen her fight without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I am so glad that someone finally remembered that Monet has powers beyond that Penance form. Hell, I’m pretty sure this is the first time since pre-Krakoa that we’ve seen her fight without it.
    Agreed. She’s way cooler without it. I wouldn’t mind if the Penance form was erased somehow.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

Watching the Fenris twins get wrecked is always satisfying. MonetxPietro is winning me over.
    Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I did wonder if anyone was going to be miffed by that; theoretically it's the same age difference as Paige/Warren but that happened when the Generation X team was still firmly teenage-coded. Post X-Factor Investigations they seem to have been moved into adulthood, like Magik.
    Isn't Synch like her only age appropriate love interest...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    …why did you have to remind me of that story happened?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    …why did you have to remind me of that story happened?
    Misery loves company and I'm a miserable bitch.

There is something about the art that I just cant my finger on.

So this Fall of X mini is basically ORCHIS plan going AWOL and doing his own thing with Steve Rogers creating an Avengers team to handle it, im right right?

I feel like some of these minis were bare minimum filler and they should have ended when Hickman wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Right. Marvel ages are: baby, kid, teen/young adult, adult, and old. Writers don't really keep track of actual ages anymore, and I doubt they'd be allowed if they wanted to - can't make the IP seem aged and worn after all. It's not worth getting fussed about it these days.