Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Gray View Post
    Were there not texts where he basically told his victim not to go to the hospital because it would be bad for him? Admitted anger issues, other professional people and school mates speaking of his behaviour? I'm sorry he's an abuser. He should have been fired prior to this and Disney would have dropped another actor for the same thing. Disney just kept quiet and said nothing. I'm glad he's gone. I never liked anything he's done, I couldn't stand Kang in comics or in movies/TV. He can go off now with his little cup that he brings everywhere
    I didn't follow the case. I just know that he was only convicted of one of the charges and it was a misdemeanor. Maybe he is an abuser. I think it's a little pointless to be this invested in the moral fiber of some random guy none of us know or will never meet because he pretended to be a character in a movie.

Not defending him, but it's a weird thing to be raging about.

Majors has no one to blame for his downfall but himself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Not sure where you conclude that him being convicted of assault and harassment means he wasn't the aggressor...
    Because it was a misdemeanor charge and "misdemeanor reckless assault" generally indicates he wasn't the instigator, if I'm not mistaken. He wasn't convicted of anything more than a misdemeanor, which is pretty mild. He got off on the other charges.

Not saying he's innocent in actuality, but from a legal standpoint, he's not convicted of anything major.

It's funny nobody has this energy for any of the other alleged abusers in the MCU over the years. I promise you, Disney only cares because it made headlines. People need to stop being shocked that Disney didn't fire him right away. They don't care about this or diversity or anything else they pretend to care about. All they care about is profit and PR. Majors isn't fired because Disney has moral standards. Hes fired because it would look bad for them to keep him. Let's not have any illusions about these corporations we give money to.
    Last edited by Refrax5; 12-18-2023 at 09:28 PM.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Because it was a misdemeanor charge and "misdemeanor reckless assault" generally indicates he wasn't the instigator, if I'm not mistaken. He wasn't convicted of anything more than a misdemeanor, which is pretty mild. He got off on the other charges.

Not saying he's innocent in actuality, but from a legal standpoint, he's not convicted of anything major.

It's funny nobody has this energy for any of the other alleged abusers in the MCU over the years. I promise you, Disney only cares because it made headlines. People need to stop being shocked that Disney didn't fire him right away. They don't care about this or diversity or anything else they pretend to care about. All they care about is profit and PR. Let's not have any illusions about these corporations we give money to.
    No offense friend, but you're definitely mistaken.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    No offense friend, but you're definitely mistaken.
    Ok, my mistake. It means you hurt someone without intention of doing so but through recklessness. It really doesn't change anything about what I said. He wasn't found guilty of any other charges, just that single misdemeanor. Misdemeanors are not a big deal for the most part.

Whatever anyone's opinions of him, he's legally guilty of any major charges or felonies. He's probably an asshole, but so are a lot of the people working there.
    Last edited by Refrax5; 12-18-2023 at 10:42 PM.

Another reason to hate everything social media represents. The chaos of this story has been too publicized. Jonathan is likely a jerk and an abuser but I am all for second chances. he needs to repent, get help and serious therapy and never put his hands on a woman again.

Disney may have acted way too quickly. I am tired of Disney and their faux clean family friendly image. they have no clue this is the reason their MCU movies are in total shambles. Disney should have stayed silent, waited for maybe a year to see if Majors is wiling to repent. This obviously dark episode in his life should not ruin his entire career.

If we apply this logic and consistency, Robert Downey Jnr would never have had a career after the 90s. If Disney owned Marvel from the beginning, RDJ will never has been cast as Iron Man. Disney and their ''family clean image'' would not have wanted a washed up actor who was arrested multiple times for drug problems, crashed into a stranger's house to sleep because he was so consumed with drugs and spent a year in jail for the same drug problems.

All this is on RDJ rap sheet but look at RDJ today? he turned his life around, made a big comeback and remains a big star who is loved by fans and the industry. I am all for second chances and feel Majors deserves one if he repents though maybe it is a good thing Disney fired him, MCU is a dead franchise anyway.
    Last edited by Valentis; 12-19-2023 at 06:15 AM.

Ultimate Member

It's funny nobody has this energy for any of the other alleged abusers in the MCU over the years. I promise you, Disney only cares because it made headlines. People need to stop being shocked that Disney didn't fire him right away. They don't care about this or diversity or anything else they pretend to care about. All they care about is profit and PR. Majors isn't fired because Disney has moral standards. Hes fired because it would look bad for them to keep him. Let's not have any illusions about these corporations we give money to.
    Or those who went to prison including federal prison. With one still having legal issues while doing two Antman movies. Or those who have touched children yet can still find work.

It's a misdemeanor that depending on what lawyer you talk to is probation, counseling and a fine.

And with the way I have heard folks fume over this-Marvel probably lost some money from upset fans-who view this as a witch hunt that in other states might not even sniff a trial.

Spectacular Member

I didn't follow the case. I just know that he was only convicted of one of the charges and it was a misdemeanor. Maybe he is an abuser. I think it's a little pointless to be this invested in the moral fiber of some random guy none of us know or will never meet because he pretended to be a character in a movie.

Not defending him, but it's a weird thing to be raging about.
    Raging? Interesting how these days people like to use words in excess to things in the world. It's called an opinion. I'm hardly raging. I'm not invested in Majors and don't follow the case with a microscope, but I am a Marvel fan and do read articles about their movies and comics, hence why I am on this site, and you too apparently, or you wouldn't be commenting on it. I hope you can see how you do come across as holier than thou, are invested enough to post YOUR opinions on him and the case, and do seem as if you are defending him. I don't want to argue with you, but if you have no real interest, why read this forum string and then post a lot regarding it? I only posted my opinion on this once, while you have a couple of times - it seems you are invested. Happy Holidays. No need to respond as I'm not going back and forth with you.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Another reason to hate everything social media represents. The chaos of this story has been too publicized. Jonathan is likely a jerk and an abuser but I am all for second chances. he needs to repent, get help and serious therapy and never put his hands on a woman again.

Disney may have acted way too quickly. I am tired of Disney and their faux clean family friendly image. they have no clue this is the reason their MCU movies are in total shambles. Disney should have stayed silent, waited for maybe a year to see if Majors is wiling to repent. This obviously dark episode in his life should ruin his entire career.

If we apply this logic and consistency, Robert Downey Jnr would never have had a career after the 90s. If Disney owned Marvel from the start, RDJ will never has been cast as Iron Man. Disney and their ''family clean image'' would not have wanted a washed up actor who was arrested multiple times for drug problems, crashed into a stranger's house to sleep because he was so consumed with drugs and spent a year in jail for the same drug problems.

All this is on RDJ rap sheet but look at RDJ today? he turned his life around, made a big comeback and remains a big star who is loved by fans and the industry. I am all for second chances and feel Majors deserves one if he repents though maybe it is a good thing Disney fired him, MCU is a dead franchise anyway.
    One is hurting himself the other is hurting others

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    One is hurting himself the other is hurting others
    Yes, to be sure there's a bit of a difference there.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post

Disney may have acted way too quickly. I am tired of Disney and their faux clean family friendly image. they have no clue this is the reason their MCU movies are in total shambles. Disney should have stayed silent, waited for maybe a year to see if Majors is wiling to repent. This obviously dark episode in his life should not ruin his entire career.

If we apply this logic and consistency, Robert Downey Jnr would never have had a career after the 90s. If Disney owned Marvel from the beginning, RDJ will never has been cast as Iron Man. Disney and their ''family clean image'' would not have wanted a washed up actor who was arrested multiple times for drug problems, crashed into a stranger's house to sleep because he was so consumed with drugs and spent a year in jail for the same drug problems.

And how long was RDJ in acting purgatory? Sure Majors can act again, just gotta take time away and then mount a comeback...

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

RDJ's father was a bit strange. He exposed his young son to drugs at an early age.

Robert Downey Sr put his son in wild underground movies and gave him access to drugs. So what happened when Downey Jr finally turned the cameras on his dad?

In his father’s underground western Greaser’s Palace, a seven-year-old Robert Downey Jr plays, in his own words, “a boy who got his neck slit by God”. This, perhaps, explains a lot. Downey Jr grew up on Robert Downey Sr’s film sets in the 70s and 80s, amid what he calls “a cacophony of creativity”, at the heart of the counterculture cinema scene fuelled by “cigarettes and weed and booze”. He slept in a cot wedged against an editing desk, got taken to see X-rated films such as La Grande Bouffe at an absurdly young age, and went on a cross-country road trip as a kid where he “was in charge of the hash pipe”.

In the twilight of his father’s years, Downey Jr wanted some answers about why his father didn’t take better care of him. The resulting documentary – called Sr, with remorseless family logic – acts as part tribute, part therapy session and part last hurrah. “You,” Downey Jr tells his father, “did not give a mad fuck, did you?”

The elephant in the room of Sr is Downey’s turbulent period as a cocaine- and heroin-dependent young movie star (before he miraculously cleaned up his act to become at one point the world’s highest paid actor), and the extent to which Downey Sr may or may not be responsible for his son’s addictions. In fact, it’s the elephant in the room until it isn’t. Fifty-five minutes into Sr, Downey Jr, who spends a good part of the film gently grilling his ailing father over Zoom, addresses it directly: “I think we would be remiss not to discuss its effect on me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Gray View Post
    Were there not texts where he basically told his victim not to go to the hospital because it would be bad for him? Admitted anger issues, other professional people and school mates speaking of his behaviour? I'm sorry he's an abuser. He should have been fired prior to this and Disney would have dropped another actor for the same thing. Disney just kept quiet and said nothing. I'm glad he's gone. I never liked anything he's done, I couldn't stand Kang in comics or in movies/TV. He can go off now with his little cup that he brings everywhere
    Those texts did look bad but they aren't proof positive he's an abuser. Nor did they have anything to do with this case. Most of the evidence you cited is heresay, as well. Like Refrax said, he definitely has issues but that doesn't make him a criminal who deserves heil time or to be cancelled.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Those texts did look bad but they aren't proof positive he's an abuser. Nor did they have anything to do with this case. Most of the evidence you cited is heresay, as well. Like Refrax said, he definitely has issues but that doesn't make him a criminal who deserves heil time or to be cancelled.
    The recorded phone call we were all given access to was honestly enough for Disney to consider cutting him just because. That specific example in a vacuum doesn't establish him as a criminal, just an ass, but the jail time was never technically connected to the job status despite how much Disney seemed to be playing things close to the chest. They could let him go just because they didn't like something he said, just like they fired that one Mandalorian actress for her tweets.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    All the things that you dismiss help to establish who he is as a person. In the last two years people have been cancelled for far less. Why is this different for you?