Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Jean Grey #3 (2023) Spoiler and Review

[Writer's Note: I'm both disappointed and thrilled that no one created a spoiler/review thread for this issue yet. On a more personal note, for the past couple of days, I've been darting to and fro like a cold, hard, numb pinball, going from one task to the next as much in the spirit of diligence as in reflexive avoidance. I just began a career in social work. It's been grueling so far but nonetheless rewarding. I learned yesterday that one of my clients was found dead at a bus stop not far from the agency for which I work. She was in her mid-60s, homeless, an alcoholic and crack addict, and newly diagnosed with HIV. She was also vibrant, seemingly indomitable, and a genuine pip. Part of her introductory remarks to me during her initial assessment included, "I drink a pint of vodka a day, and I ain't stopping. And if you try to make me, I'll eat ya alive." We developed a visceral connection in our short time working together. Detectives are waiting on her autopsy report to determine the cause of death. In any event, I didn't have it in me to focus on comic books today. But something about how Jean's story was framed here spoke to me not only of my own past struggles with abuse, trauma, substance use, and mental illness but also about my client's struggles and our similar experiences of spending swathes of our lives avoiding ourselves. And suddenly, Jean, once again, proved a balm to me, and these thoughts emerged.]

Plot: We see the closing scene of Immortal X-Men #16 from Jean's perspective: Hope attempting to read her mind as Exodus and others stand by on an indistinct desert. Before she can gather her thoughts, Madelyne Pryor crashes through them. They go back in forth in that way that they've done for decades. Finally, Jean wonders what would have happened had she heard baby Nathan Christopher's cry and was able to save him before Madelyne's demons slipped in and kidnapped him. This is the first hypothetical, alternate choice she makes a reality, which results in Madelyne killing Sinister and absorbing—to their deaths—the powers of S'ym and N'astirh, leaving her "thrice powered—by Phoenix. By demon magic...and by [an] oh-so-useful alteration of being." She gains the upper hand, and just as Jean and Scott reach Ship with baby Nathan Christopher in tow, Madelyne descends, killing Scott, and honing in on Jean and the baby. Even powered to the degree that she is, Madelyne cannot defeat Jean. Even fully bonded with Phoenix, Phoenix calls out to Jean. The second alternate choice: Jean rejects Phoenix, unlike what she did during Inferno's climax. "Then die, Jean Grey. As ever, the choice is yours," Phoenix says to her. Just then, Madelyne grabs hold of Jean and begins absorbing what looks like fire from Jean's mouth, noting, "So much life." Jean sends her flying. But then something unexpected happens: Madelyne takes full control of Ship and seemingly the ocean. "I control the atoms that make up this Ship," she says. "They obey my slightest wish...flowing out in a molecule-thin wave, infecting every machine, every organic being in its path. Even you. Now an extension of myself, as I once was of you." (Is this a hint?) Just as Madelyne is about to end the world, Jean exclaims, "No! Enough." And burns away the alternate timeline. She is left questioning her diversions in this series and confronted by the many facets she comprises. "What else should I have done?" The ghosts of her past selves respond: "Why ask us? You're the one that created this mess. Aren't you?"

Commentary: Jean Grey #3 (2023) follows the same captivating pattern as the preceding issues. Vibrant visuals and evocative dialogue tease out and distract from the striking subtext: What Jean is wrestling with is far grander than the Fall of X and even alternate timelines.

After Jean gives her dark doppelganger the advantage, resulting in a seemingly predictable ending, we learn two things: 1) Madelyne’s Phoenix-augmented powers cannot overcome Jean, who barely puts up a fight, and 2) Jean remains the singular apple of Phoenix’s eye.

Perhaps Madelyne, better than anyone else, knows this about Jean and Phoenix, sensing and grasping at a force—“so much energy”—that eludes her but comes naturally to her progenitor. It's potentially both a striking and inevitable subtextual revelation.

And still, one question remains: What follows, or what is left for Jean to do after accepting, evading, and rejecting Phoenix? Is it genuine disregard for it? True union with it? Utter transcendence of it?

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

I'm a big fan of Inferno, so I kinda liked this, but it was still a bit underwhelming. I think what made the first issue so strong is that "what would happen if the O5 kept their memories after returning to the past" is a premise that is worth exploring in itself, separate from the idea of this mini of Jean trying to fix things by going into certain moments of her past.

I liked that we had Jean explaining that it didn't quite happen like that when Maddie goes on her "Scott just left me for you" rant, and stating what actually happened. And that Madelyne just ignores it cause she's not interested in the details lol. It's like her narrative has already been taken as fact, it's almost meta. Also that they mention the Dark Phoenix saga as Jean's memories that Madelyne gained, not some kind of separate third "Phoenix's memories" thing.

Not quite sure what is happening at the end though. A character "facing themselves" in that way is kind of a cliche. I hope it actually leads to something interesting.

You're the one who created this mess.....aren't you?
    Very telling quotes. It seems Jean, for the first time, will come to terms with her true nature. And it won't be business as usual. What she will reveal to others remains to be seen. Anybody who says this series is a waste isn't paying attention.

BANNED

Last edited by Micabe; 10-25-2023 at 07:59 PM.

BANNED

The entire multiverse knows that you are Phoenix, Jean... Perhaps, it is time you accept that as fact and stop running from yourself.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Thank you so much for being able to share this recap Mercury. I am so sorry to hear about your client and God Bless you for the work that you do!

I wonder why Rachel appeared in that first broken image with Hope and Exodus given that she's not in the WHR (and in her now defunct houndmarks no less). But all of this is interesting as much of the Phoenix went into Rachel at this point and only that small portion went to Jean, who denied it so then going to Madelyne. The next issue I'm intrigued as to what final showdown and decision Jean makes and how it influences the mutants trapped in Mother Righteous' thrall.

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

Accepting, lending, and rejecting the Phoenix was the basis of the mini so far but it looks as if it also covers Jean's history with the Phoenix entity. It seems like the mini will propose a new 4th option for Jean's relationship with the Phoenix going forward and it may very look like something new. My guess is that the next iteration of Jean will be something that blurs the boundaries between Marvel Girl, Jean Grey, and the Phoenix to address all aspects of the character while leaving her on level with the rest of the X-Men. I sense there's a good chance that Jean's '86 retcon may be done away with once and for all to tie in with this.

“What if Jean Grey in one of the most iconic and beloved comic book storylines ever was just someone else pretending to be her?” was a real Galaxy brain editorial decision.

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    “What if Jean Grey in one of the most iconic and beloved comic book storylines ever was just someone else pretending to be her?” was a real Galaxy brain editorial decision.
    Blame Jim Shooter and his insistence that someone who destroyed the D'Bari cannot live on as a hero.

I wished there would have been one issue about Grant Morrison‘s Jean Grey. Don’t see this version of Jean being so overly dramatic in regard of her merging with Phoenix…they leave so many versions of Jean out that could have made a more compelling and complex analyses of her relationship with Phoenix. But they don’t, stay simplistic, and go for redundancy without giving us something new we havent seen a million times. I’m tired of this interpretation of Jean‘s history.

Accepting, lending, rejecting did not always lead to death and destruction. But curious what her new status will be. If she meets multiversal versions of herself in issue 4, I’m going to cry. I cannot stand any more multiverse storyline on this planet at this point. Ugh!

I also wished Gillen had written this book. His Jean Grey one-shot in AXE was so superb in every way.
    Last edited by Exodus; 10-25-2023 at 10:03 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Thunderbird View Post
    Accepting, lending, and rejecting the Phoenix was the basis of the mini so far but it looks as if it also covers Jean's history with the Phoenix entity. It seems like the mini will propose a new 4th option for Jean's relationship with the Phoenix going forward and it may very look like something new. My guess is that the next iteration of Jean will be something that blurs the boundaries between Marvel Girl, Jean Grey, and the Phoenix to address all aspects of the character while leaving her on level with the rest of the X-Men. I sense there's a good chance that Jean's '86 retcon may be done away with once and for all to tie in with this.
    My guess is Jean finally realizes that the deal she made with the Phoenix Force back in the day was truly, "Now and Forever!". Wait... Are you implying that Ororo is on the same level as the rest of her fellow X-Men? I'm shocked! Shocked, I say
    Last edited by Micabe; 10-25-2023 at 11:55 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I wished there would have been one issue about Grant Morrison‘s Jean Grey. Don’t see this version of Jean being so overly dramatic in regard of her merging with Phoenix…they leave so many versions of Jean out that could have made a more compelling and complex analyses of her relationship with Phoenix. But they don’t, stay simplistic, and go for redundancy without giving us something new we havent seen a million times. I’m tired of this interpretation of Jean‘s history.

Accepting, lending, rejecting did not always lead to death and destruction. But curious what her new status will be. If she meets multiversal versions of herself in issue 4, I’m going to cry. I cannot stand any more multiverse storyline on this planet at this point. Ugh!

I also wished Gillen had written this book. His Jean Grey one-shot in AXE was so superb in every way.
    It is a bit silly that not even stories referencing the White Hot Room respect or acknowledge Morrison Jean.

She's just too GirlBoss for 60s mindsets. Quickly, let's go over Maddie and Cyclops for the 1,000,011th time.

BANNED

h, no that's not silly at all... Think about why that seems to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post

I wish they used phoenix from 90s. Jena started calling herself phoenix again. She started using fire powers etc but it was never explained or developed.

Btw do you remember when Hickman said there was a reason for jean to wear marvel girl dress. Maybe answers for 4th issue are in dark Phoenix saga finale

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    It is a bit silly that not even stories referencing the White Hot Room respect or acknowledge Morrison Jean.

She's just too GirlBoss for 60s mindsets. Quickly, let's go over Maddie and Cyclops for the 1,000,011th time.
    It is just so disappointing as a fan. They keep the character Jean Grey stuck in some nostalgic past and rehashing the same story beats over and over and over again. It is such an editorial fail to bring Jean Grey in this mini again back to the INFERNO crossover after they just told us a story with Jean and Madelyne in Dark X-Men. You do not think that is boring AF for us readers?

Also: There is nothing more irritating to me than presenting the cosmic Phoenix Force as an anthrophormic speaking entity that is presented like a speaking cartoon duck or toxic ex boyfriend asking for Jean's approval. Honestly, why?!

They clearly ignore very compelling aspects of her history in order to retell a boring simplistic storyline that will not change anything about the status quo of the character moving forward. Jean is not allowed to evolve.

I really enjoy the art though!
    Last edited by Exodus; 10-26-2023 at 12:34 AM.