View Poll Results: What do you think of Cheetah?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love her! One of my favorite villains ever!

40 38.83%
  • I like her all right, but she could be better.

42 40.78%
  • I don't really think one way or another about her.

9 8.74%
  • I don't like Cheetah, she is a rubbish supervillain.

10 9.71%
  • Who's Cheetah?

2 1.94%
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Cheetah's a great threat because of Barbara Minerva's intelligence, amorality, remorselessness, drive and ingenuity - at least that's how she should be portrayed. The powers and gifts of the god Urzkartaga or from a cursed dagger only make her more formidable and deadly.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Btw, wasn't it Rucka's Cheetah that tried to kill Diana at the World Court? If so... I have to say I think that was probably the most human I've ever seen her while being the Cheetah, since it's one of the few (if not only) times where we see the inner torment she exists in thanks to the curse.
    If it's the issue I'm thinking of, it was ok. If I had to pinpoint exactly where I thought things started to go wrong with Cheetah, it would be around there. I believe Rucka was the first to write her as a bloodthirsty sex kitten who folds after a few hits. She has some interesting thought boxes in that issue, but she comes across as generically evil, killing innocent people for the lols, and not lasting too long in the actual fight. Then afterward Rucka hooked her up with Snapper Carr, and then her excruciating appearances in Catwoman followed, then Heinberg and the fail pants, etc. Before this, her appearances in the runs by Loebs, Byrne and Jimenez did a much better job of keeping her in line with Perez's characterization and focused on her human side. The crap showings really started in earnest after this, with the exception of Simone's use of her in Secret Six.

It's a shame too, because I generally think Rucka is one of the best writers the title ever had, but she's his one blind spot.

Well it could technically be Artemis/Moon that was the real voice, considering how she also reveled in her own power and might have wanted another player on the field to amuse herself with and then incidentally it becomes something Diana has to deal with later on.
    But you are right, it could be anyone that was the real voice, but considering this is DC, are we looking forwards to finding out it was either a New God, Trigon or John Constantine that was behind this?
    *shudders* Yeah, that's sounds like something they would do. Forget I said anything, let's go with Moon.

I agree wholeheartedly about Rucka's Cheetah. I didn't love how he used her (and he was the one who put her with Snapper? Ugh, kill me now). I think Geoff Johns did the Cheetah/Zoom team-up issues, right? It's been a long time since I read the other Cheetah appearance in Rucka's run, but I remember not being thrilled with it. I'll have to reread it. I don't really like the whole Barbara-is-a-victim-to-Urzkartaga stuff. It was good in Perez, but I much prefer the New 52 in that aspect, where she's the one who corrupted the god empowering her with her greed and malice.

I'm really worried about her use in the upcoming Suicide Squad, though. I hope the writer gets a chance to delve into her, but putting her with those other villains definitely takes away the sense that she's Wonder Woman's arch-nemesis. Giganta or Silver Swan would've been better choices for WW villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly about Rucka's Cheetah. I didn't love how he used her (and he was the one who put her with Snapper? Ugh, kill me now). I think Geoff Johns did the Cheetah/Zoom team-up issues, right? It's been a long time since I read the other Cheetah appearance in Rucka's run, but I remember not being thrilled with it. I'll have to reread it. I don't really like the whole Barbara-is-a-victim-to-Urzkartaga stuff. It was good in Perez, but I much prefer the New 52 in that aspect, where she's the one who corrupted the god empowering her with her greed and malice.

I'm really worried about her use in the upcoming Suicide Squad, though. I hope the writer gets a chance to delve into her, but putting her with those other villains definitely takes away the sense that she's Wonder Woman's arch-nemesis. Giganta or Silver Swan would've been better choices for WW villains.
    I think Johns and Rucka co-wrote that one. She calls Zoom "baby" and makes passes at Wally while she's maiming him. It was pretty painful.
    I have no hopes for Suicide Squad, as I've heard plenty of "meh" reactions towards the title in general. If she got dropped, it might be for the best.

I just picked up New Suicide Squad issue 9 in prep for the changes over in the line up. Hoping for the best since there will be several interesting characters on the team - Poison Ivy and Cheetah specifically. I'm hoping for the best, but we'll see.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I just picked up New Suicide Squad issue 9 in prep for the changes over in the line up. Hoping for the best since there will be several interesting characters on the team - Poison Ivy and Cheetah specifically. I'm hoping for the best, but we'll see.

Let us know if Cheetah gets jobbed by being restrained by a pair of handcuffs or a trick-arrow.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Let us know if Cheetah gets jobbed by being restrained by a pair of handcuffs or a trick-arrow.
    With DC's new continuity light approach, I now have an even easier time pretending that didn't happen than I already did.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    With DC's new continuity light approach, I now have an even easier time pretending that didn't happen than I already did.

Works for me.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    With DC they might just have a big dog to chase her up a tree

With DC they might just have a big dog to chase her up a tree

I'm beginning to think that you may be right.

Mighty Member

What do i think of her? HOT as hell and one of my catgirl dreamgirls even on the JL series as she is on par with Cleo on Heathcliff or Callie Briggs.

Just finished re-reading Alex Ross's Justice and I'm seriously in love with that version of Cheetah! The look is fantastic and it feels to me like the best version of the character yet, using the classic Priscilla Rich character (my favorite thanks to Super Friends) with her delusions and societal importance while keeping Barbara Minerva's godly upgrades in a different, non were-cheetah kind of way. Along with her having a history as being Wonder Woman's friend, I really wish we had seen more of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Just finished re-reading Alex Ross's Justice and I'm seriously in love with that version of Cheetah! The look is fantastic and it feels to me like the best version of the character yet, using the classic Priscilla Rich character (my favorite thanks to Super Friends) with her delusions and societal importance while keeping Barbara Minerva's godly upgrades in a different, non were-cheetah kind of way. Along with her having a history as being Wonder Woman's friend, I really wish we had seen more of her.

While I prefer the were-Cheetah route, I can't deny that this is still a great look and interpretation of the Cheetah character. The dead cheetah skins/furs juxtaposed with her socialite and high-end persona adds a nice twist to the humanity vs. savagery concept associated with the character.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

However, I still love the were-cheetah and I love this panel:

We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Barbara Ann Minerva is one of my favorite characters. Her genuine villainy is so thrilling and exciting. No offence, but I always saw Priscilla Rich as a joke of being a threat to Wonder Woman when she is just some crazy lady in a costume. It wasn't until Justice where she is portrayed to be a worthy villain.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    However, I still love the were-cheetah and I love this panel:

One of my favorite WW issues ever. The birth of one of the greatest villainesses in the DC Universe.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!