View Poll Results: What do you think of Cheetah?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love her! One of my favorite villains ever!

40 38.83%
  • I like her all right, but she could be better.

42 40.78%
  • I don't really think one way or another about her.

9 8.74%
  • I don't like Cheetah, she is a rubbish supervillain.

10 9.71%
  • Who's Cheetah?

2 1.94%
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    That's because the Dc people can't let Diana's villains be threatening. She can be shown threaten and be interesting. This is why I find Priscilla. Also look at Barbara origin her's is the opposites of Diana's
    She doesn't have to threaten anyone to be interesting, Ares was pretty powerful dude, he killed high-father and hades but there was more to the character. Rucka wrote a very interesting and powerful Ares, Rucka's cheetah had depth to her character too but even then she wasn't as intriguing as Ares. It was Gail who brought down Ares, she had wonder woman split his head in two, powergirl and genocide fared better than Ares against Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
    She doesn't have to threaten anyone to be interesting, Ares was pretty powerful dude, he killed high-father and hades but there was more to the character. Rucka wrote a very interesting and powerful Ares, Rucka's cheetah had depth to her character too but even then she wasn't as intriguing as Ares. It was Gail who brought down Ares, she had wonder woman split his head in two, powergirl and genocide fared better than Ares against Wonder Woman.

How would you made her interesting

Ah geez, WHY did the CBR Crisis have to wipe out the non-dillweed threads?? We had this whole movement going for Cheetah on the "old" boards! The C.A.T.C.A.V.E. ("Committee Advancing The Cheetah Among Villains Everywhere" ... or something like that, I didn't save anything) with it's 8 Goals; The Cheetah Vs Everybody tournament (100 female villains enter, 1 exit victorious ... we were down to the Final Four after 8 DisQualifying rounds and yes, Cheetah was one of the four finalists); we even had our own mantra #chooseCheetah!

And now we have to start all over again from scratch? All that work for nothing

I don't suppose anyone saved some of the old Cheetah appreciation thread stuff? Like the list of 100 female villains or what the 8 goals of the CATCAVE were?

Man, this sucks ...

I love the Cheetah, I hope she becomes a major player in Wonder Woman's book after Azz leaves. Johns laid some solid groundwork in his two-part Justice League story.

BANNED

How would you made her interesting
    Read Wonder Woman #222 blood debt.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Ah geez, WHY did the CBR Crisis have to wipe out the non-dillweed threads?? We had this whole movement going for Cheetah on the "old" boards! The C.A.T.C.A.V.E. ("Committee Advancing The Cheetah Among Villains Everywhere" ... or something like that, I didn't save anything) with it's 8 Goals; The Cheetah Vs Everybody tournament (100 female villains enter, 1 exit victorious ... we were down to the Final Four after 8 DisQualifying rounds and yes, Cheetah was one of the four finalists); we even had our own mantra #chooseCheetah!

I don't suppose anyone saved some of the old Cheetah appreciation thread stuff? Like the list of 100 female villains or what the 8 goals of the CATCAVE were?

Man, this sucks ...
    I suspect that disrupting the C.A.T.C.A.V.E. goals was the real reason for the CBR Massacre. The rest of comicdom just can't bear to see the Cheetah becoming a success!!

Choose Cheetah!
    My, my! One does peculiar things when one is a gorilla!

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

Man, this sucks ...
    I am hereby, semi-facetiously, forming the Committee Advancing The Cheetah Among Villains Everywhere ... also known as the CATCAVE (yes, it took a while sitting here at work to come up with that acronym).

What is the CATCAVE all about, you may ask? To which I may reply Really? You didn't bother to read the the above statement?

OK, seriously, what is this CATCAVE all about? Well, we adhere to 8 particular goals regarding the Cheetah.

The First Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "You Do Not Talk About Fight Clu-" (ahem) ... "The Cheetah alone is Wonder Woman's Arch-Enemy."

The Second Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "The Cheetah ALONE is Wonder Woman's Arch-Enemy!"

The Third Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "If Wonder Woman is the Greatest Female Super-Hero Ever, then The Cheetah is the Greatest Female Super-Villain Ever."

The Fourth Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "Since only there is only one Wonder Woman, there is only one Cheetah."

The Fifth Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "Whatever the scope of Wonder Woman's heroic role is (global/etc) in nature, thus the scope of The Cheetah's villainous objectives are likewise (global/etc) in nature."

The Sixth Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "If Wonder Woman is one third of the Heroic Trinity at DC alongside Superman and Batman, then The Cheetah is one third of the Villainous Trinity at DC alongside Lex Luthor and The Joker."

The Seventh Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "The Cheetah is always her own boss and never the hench or underling of another character or entity."

The Eighth Goal of the CATCAVE is ... "The Cheetah always represents the polar opposite of whatever Wonder Woman stands for."

That's all I got for a starting point so far. There's a long way to go to bring her to her proper place in the DCU.

Want to join?

Long Live The Cheetah!
    How's this?

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    How's this?
    Spectacular, Charmed. Absolutely spectacular!

I actually found the old archives:

http://oldforums.comicbookresources....f-69-p-24.html

The old Cheetah Apprecation thread is there too!

http://http://oldforums.comicbookres.../t-398353.html

All the stuff I was mentioning is toward the tail end of the thread.

The CATCAVE lives! #chooseCheetah!
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 05-07-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Let's go over the Goals and how best to accomplish them.

The First (and Second) Goal of the CATCAVE is "The Cheetah Alone (ALONE!) Is Wonder Woman's Arch-Enemy"

Seems self-explanatory, right? But it's not, b/c you can't say that the Cheetah has been given the kind of special attention that befits an arch-enemy of an alpha hero like Wonder Woman ... of course, then you go down the rabbit-hole that Wonder Woman herself hasn't been given the kind of special attention that befits an alpha hero in the first place, so where's the problem here?

Well, let's go through Wonder Woman's non-hench rogues gallery and see what kind of competition the Cheetah actually has:

1) The Cheetah
    2) Circe
    3) Ares
    5) Giganta
    6) Genocide
    7) Baroness Paula von Gunther
    8) Dr. Psycho
    9) Herakles
    10) Hades
    11) Dr. Cyber
    12) Dr. Poison
    13) Silver Swan
    14) Devastation
    15) First Born
    16) Cronus
    17) Blue Snowman
    18) Angle Man
    19) Dark Angel
    20) Apollo
    21) Egg-Fu
    22) Queen Clea
    23) Eris/Strife
    24) Red Panzer
    25) Queen of Fables

Honestly, is the Cheetah better suited to the role of WW arch-enemy over the other 24 candidates? Why or why not?
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 05-07-2014 at 04:12 PM.

The Third Goal of the CATCAVE is "If Wonder Woman is the Greatest Female Super-Hero Ever, then The Cheetah is the Greatest Female Super-Villain Ever."

Is this true? Well, let's assemble ALL the super-villainesses from the DCU and see for ourselves. Behold!

1 Alkyone
    2 Amanda Waller
    3 Amazing Grace
    4 Bernadeth
    5 Black Alice
    6 Blackfire
    7 Blacksmith
    8 Blaze
    9 Bleez
    10 Bloody Mary
    11 Blue Snowman
    12 Bres
    13 Catwoman
    14 Cheetah
    15 Chesire
    16 Circe
    17 Cyborgirl
    18 Dark Angel
    19 Decay
    20 Deuce
    21 Devastation
    22 Double Dare (2 sisters)
    23 Dr. Cyber
    24 Dr. Poison
    25 Earth-3 SuperWoman
    26 Emerald Empress
    27 Enchantress (DC)
    28 Eris/Strife
    29 Eviless
    30 Faora/Ursa
    31 Fatality
    32 Genocide
    33 Giganta
    34 Glorith
    35 Godiva
    36 Golden Glider
    37 Granny Goodness
    38 Guilotina
    39 Harlequin
    40 Harley Quinn
    41 Hazard
    42 Hera
    43 Hypnota
    44 Indigo
    45 Insect Queen
    46 Jewelee
    47 Jinx
    48 Joker's Daughter
    49 Karu-Sil
    50 Killer Frost
    51 Knockout
    52 Lady Clay
    53 Lady Shiva
    54 Lady Vic
    55 Lashina
    56 Leather
    57 Livewire
    58 Lyssa Drak
    59 Mad Harriet
    60 Madame Rouge
    61 Magenta
    62 Magpie
    63 Malice Wundabar
    64 Marine Marauder
    65 Maxima
    66 Medusa
    67 Mercy
    68 Morgaine le Fey
    69 Nocturna
    70 Nyssa Raatko
    71 Osira
    72 Paula von Gunther
    73 Peek-a-boo
    74 Phobia
    75 Plastique
    76 Poison Ivy
    77 Prank
    78 Queen Bee
    79 Queen Clea
    80 Queen of Fables
    81 Rampage
    82 Ravager
    83 Roulette
    84 Saturn Queen
    85 Scandal Savage
    86 Scar
    87 Shado
    88 Shimmer
    89 Silver Banshee
    90 Silver Swan
    91 Spider Girl
    92 Star Sapphire Carol Ferris
    93 Stompa
    94 Sun Girl
    95 Tala
    96 Talia al Ghul
    97 Ventroliquist
    98 Veronica Cale
    99 Wunda
    100 Zara

That's all 100 (technically 101, since Double Dare is actually 2 sisters) DC super-villainesses.

Now let's apply the DisQualifiers

DQ 1 = Not Evil Enough: This applies to anti-heroes, "bad girls" with a conscience, and persistent side-switchers

DQ 2 = Not Independent Enough: This applies to henchwomen, sub-ordinates, sidekicks, and female versions of established male characters

DQ 3 = Not Present Enough: This applies to one-shot storyliners and long-dormancy-havers

DQ 4 = Not Durable Enough: This applies to anyone who hasn't been around long enough to truly earn their stripes. There is a wee bit of ageism at play in this, but I feel that a truly great super-villain of any gender needs a sizable amount of time to mature into a his/her/its true form. But where to set that line? Less than 10 years? At least 10 years? 15 years? 25 years? 30 years? More? How much time is needed to establish lasting villainy? I'm going to go with what I perceive to be a not-quite-completely arbitrary 20-year mark. Anyone who has been around less than 20 years (as of this time, that would be going back to 1994 or before) has not been around long enough to earn the crown.

DQ 5 = Not Original Enough: Were these character's comic debuts their first in any medium ... including other literature and documents? Like say, established real-world mythologies and stories that pre-date comics medium by hundred or thousands of years? It feels wrong that the greatest female super-villain in comics would not actually originate from comics.

DQ 6 = Not Thematically Consistent Enough: The villain doesn't always have to have the same singular identity, but her motif and purpose should be consistent. Does she own that name and motif? Does that character always target the same hero or heroes? Conversely, is that name shared with other un-related characters? Are there others with nothing in common except the name?

DQ 7 = Not Leader Enough: Not only would the Greatest Ever Female Super-Villain (GEFSV) never be a hench, but she would be able to attract followers or be able to lead other beta villains. She couldn't be always just one of the team. She calls the shots by default. Conversely, does she frequently take orders? Is she too much of a loner? That might works if you are the Joker, but even he requires underlings (disposable ones, but still) and obeys no one.

DQ 8 = Not Accomplished Enough: What have these ladies actually done that would warrant the crown. What is their best victory? What feats have they accomplished? Have they accomplished anything of note?

After applying all 8 DisQualifiers, 96 (technically 97) contenders were laid to waste, and we are left with a Female Super-Villain Final Four:

1 Blaze
    2 Cheetah
    3 Glorith
    4 Queen Clea

These four finalists are truly Evil enough, Independent enough, Present enough, Durable enough, Original enough, Thematically Consistent enough, Leader enough, and Accomplished enough. True Villains each.

Is Cheetah a greater True Villain than Blaze, Glorith or Queen Clea?
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 05-10-2014 at 04:41 PM.

to you what ideologies and counterpart is why she(cheetah) is Diana's Archy enemy

to you what ideologies and counterpart is why she(cheetah) is Diana's Archy enemy
    That's the 8th Goal of the CATCAVE, and we're still wrapping up the first three. We'll get there

OK, back to the Cheetah Versus Everybody Tournament for DC's Greatest Ever Female Super-Villain:

Blaze
    Cheetah
    Glorith
    Queen Clea

We currently have 4 finalists, which is 3 too many. How to whittle it down further?

DQ 9 = Not Heroically Foil-ish Enough. What does this mean? If heroes are defined by their opposing villains, then the same is true for villains: they are defined by their opposing heroes. All the great male villains have an opposite heroic number to which they mutually point to. Lex Luthor has Superman (and vice verse). The Joker has Batman (and vice verse). Magneto has Professor X (and vice verse. Doctor Doom has Mister Fantastic (and vice verse). Darkseid had Highfather (and vice verse). Green Goblin has Spider-Man (and vice verse). They always ranked as the greatest villain in some capacity that the hero faces (basically must be Top 3 rogue at worst).

What about these ladies?

Blaze (debuted in Superman, ported over to Shazam, not in either's Top 3) DQ9
    Cheetah (Wonder Woman Top 3) passed
    Glorith (Legion of Super-Heroes Top 3) passed
    Queen Clea (debuted in Wonder Woman, not in WW's Top 3) DQ9

Alright, we got our Title Bout!

THE CHEETAH

versus

GLORITH

Only ONE can be DC's Greatest Ever Female Super-Villain!

Cheetah is one of my favorite comic book characters, period. Dr. Minerva, in particular. I loved her portrayal from Perez' creation, on through Mesner-Loebs' use of the character. She kind of fell apart after that, getting mangled by Byrne and especially Jimenez.

I was glad they opted to re-introduce Minerva in the 'New 52', even with the tooling of her origin.

It's weird, though, how listings of the various Cheetah's over the years always overlook Debbie Domain. She was actually the resident Cheetah when I first encountered the character, but no one ever seems to remember her (admittedly unremarkable) stint.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Growing up, I had the awesome Wonder Woman audio book where Wonder Woman fought the Cheetah. Deborah Doumain ws the Cheetah at the time. I liked how DDs Cheetah was lined to the original Cheetah, by being brainwashed to believe she was the Priscilla Rich Cheetah. It's a shame Debbie didn't have a little longer time as Cheetah before the '86 reboot.

Back to the Title Bout : The Cheetah versus Glorith!

After 9 DisQualifying Rounds, these are your final two contenders for DC's Greatest Ever Female Super Villain. Both of them are True Villains: Evil Enough, Independent Enough, Present Enough, Durable Enough, Original Enough, Thematically Consistent Enough, Leader Enough, Accomplished Enough, Heroically Foil-ish Enough.

So what now?

If this were a head-to-head direct physical battle, Glorith wins. Glorith is by far more powerful than the Cheetah (she would have to be, to take on the entire freakin' Legion of Super-Heroes all by herself).

But being physical mightier does not automatically mean greater (if it did, then the Anti-Monitor would be the Greatest Super Villain Anywhere, period. And he's not).

So what should be the the final Dis-Qualifier? What, after everything else has already been applied, should be used to determine greatness?

Fame.

If you ask the casual comic book fan to name a female DC super-villain, whose name is coming up first? Probably Catwoman, but she's gone. Out of these two remaining contenders, who is more famous?

Well, when DC celebrated it's 75th anniversary in 2010 with a universe-spanning action figure line, it did this

and this

for the Cheetah.

DC did this for Glorith in that same line: nothing.

DQ 10 = Not Famous Enough. If you have to say "who?", then chances are your greatness has not yet been attained.

Ladies and Gentleman, DC's Greatest Ever Female Super-Villain!: