View Poll Results: What do you think of Cheetah?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love her! One of my favorite villains ever!

40 38.83%
  • I like her all right, but she could be better.

42 40.78%
  • I don't really think one way or another about her.

9 8.74%
  • I don't like Cheetah, she is a rubbish supervillain.

10 9.71%
  • Who's Cheetah?

2 1.94%
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637 LastLast

Circe, at times. Silver Swan. Not sure about Giganta. Hera, originally, was jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Circe, at times. Silver Swan. Not sure about Giganta. Hera, originally, was jealous.
    I don't recall Circe ever being portrayed as the envious type. Her motivations have ranged from thinking Diana will kill her due to a prophecy to just being a jerk who loves screwing with humanity. Hera seems more angry than jealous in Azz's run. Even Cheetah's envy is something that's only really been touched on in Rucka's run. Agree about Silver Swan though.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    *crosses fingers and hopes the for mane

I never understood why a curse that morphed the enchanted into a animal-human hybrid would get to keep their hair of all things... especially when they grow a layer of fur as a part of the transformation.
    Eh...Comics. I think she just looks cooler with the hair than without, and it's probably just an aesthetic choice we're not meant to think about too much.
    Actually I'm a bit confused: did you want the mane or not?

I can't think of a single story where Circe has expressed jealousy towards Diana.

Silver Swan has never really been specifically jealous of WW. Helen hated all beautiful women since she wasn't one and couldn't get ahead in her profession because of it, so she wanted to kill Diana to keep the beauty and powers Mars gave to her. Valerie was just a pawn of her husband and expressed nothing but gratitude for Diana for saving her. Vanessa was jealous of Cassie for getting to be Diana's sidekick Wonder Girl, not jealous of Diana herself.

That's a no for Giganta as well (though one could argue her appearance in Rucka's first run where she revealed she just wants attention might have something to do with Wonder Woman).

Hera was jealous of Hippolyta, not Diana, since she caught Zeus's wayward eye. Originally, Hera hated all of Zeus's bastard children, not envied them.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Eh...Comics. I think she just looks cooler with the hair than without, and it's probably just an aesthetic choice we're not meant to think about too much.
    Actually I'm a bit confused: did you want the mane or not?
    I agree 100%. Cheetah without her hair always reminds me of JLU's awful depiction of her.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Eh well, let me just point out that this was (I think) stories in the 1940'ties... and we just had a very similar story of Cheetah getting onto PI and it wasn't at all well received.

The only reason I can see that she would have been forgotten as a 40'ties Batman villain is because of the presence of Catwoman.

That is true, but today it just seems jealousy is the motivation for half of Diana's female enemies.

*crosses fingers and hopes the for mane

I never understood why a curse that morphed the enchanted into a animal-human hybrid would get to keep their hair of all things... especially when they grow a layer of fur as a part of the transformation.

Been thinking; why couldn't there be a kind of 'Cheetah-society' similar to the Wildebeest Society from the old NTT books?
    Picture this, the curse/blessing of the Cheetah is not limited to one person, but the results are not all the same, which in most cases have led the recipients being rejected by the patron deity responsible. These failures have banded together for mutual protection and support while plotting a way to get back at the god thats abandoned them.
    Leader of the pack/pride, is Priscilla Rich, who's transformation never really took hold, leaving her as one of the weakest but the one with the most of her senses left. She still thinks she's a cheetah in human form and wears the pelt to signify it.
    The majority of the pack however are ones like Debora Domaine, they are less intelligent than Rich, but more physically powerful as their transformation stopped at a later stage. Some have their own furs, others use pelts.
    And then there are the Barbara Mineva's, where the transformations are complete, but for one reason or another their minds have simply snapped and left them as little more than animals. They are extremely powerful, but hard to control and few in number. Rich and the others keep them around primarily out of fear that one day, their god would get it right and have a Cheetah as powerful as Barbara and as smart as Pricilla and that they would be the first victims.

Reason why Diana would run into this group is that they are seeking means to protect themselves from this yet unborn Cheetah and strike back at the god responsible, which means they are going off to steal dangerous artifacts... like the ones that belong in the Black Room.
    i havent read that story so idk what to say. and diana does have a number of jealous villainesses but seeing as Cheetah is the first and most known they might as well play off of that instead of making new characters to represent what her most known villain is.

Barb Ann rocks the #8 cover. So excited for her backstory.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Here's a link to more of the preview for the Cheetah's Rebirth origin story:

http://www.newsarama.com/31028-octob...ew-artist.html

Come to think of it, this story on Newsarama helps to solidify that Cheetah is Wonder Woman's arch-nemesis. When was the last time we saw Ares, Circe, First Born, or Genocide make a headline on a major comics news-site?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Even when Rucka's run was announced and we saw her on Liam Sharp's cover, I never thought we'd be getting this much of Barbara. I am a VERY happy Cheetah fan.

This sounds wonderful, Bilquis Evely's art is amazing and I'm really interested to see how Rucka handles Cheetah's origins.

I am so happy that she's finally getting some respect and being acknowledged as a huge part of the Wonder Woman mythos.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    This sounds wonderful, Bilquis Evely's art is amazing and I'm really interested to see how Rucka handles Cheetah's origins.

I am so happy that she's finally getting some respect and being acknowledged as a huge part of the Wonder Woman mythos.

Agreed. This is long overdue for the character.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

This issue looks like it will show her early years and right before she and Diana met in Year One. I'm hoping we get another interlude issue somewhere down the line that retells how she actually became the Cheetah.

The fact that Rucka even considers Barbara important enough that she needs her own interludes is pretty awesome.

"Bobbi?" That's new .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Bobbi?" That's new .
    I *hate* "Bobbi." But the origin was cute and now we know this version can transform from human to cheetah at will.

I love how her hair transforms into super-full-bodied-ness (like old school She-Ra) when she transforms.