Default Predator vs Wolverine #2 Review

The story begins in present day, with the preview images released. Logan is healing on a cliff and is trying to be stealthy but he try's to move and knocks off a rock which alerts the Predator to his location. This ends up with the Predator throwing explosives at Logan which knocks him into a river below the cliff with a bunch of boulders pinning him down underwater. We then see the Predator dive in and face to face with Logan underwater.

We then move to the time frame of Logan with Team X. There is a small amount of backstory about why Team X is there, they are trying to assassinate a general that is causing some trouble in the area, however they have a more immediate problem as now they are facing 5 Yautja to their team of 4 (one member was killed last issue). Logan evens the odds by using the flying bladed weapon he took from the Predator in issue one and decapitates one of the Yautja. The next few pages are basically an all out fight between the groups with each trading kills. The standout has to be Sabretooth, he is firing a rail gun into the forest (straight out of the 1st movie) and then gets speared through the back. The Yautja that stabbed him tries to finish the job but Sabretooth grabs him and impales him on his own spear that was still in his body, just completely epic and bad ass lol. Team X is now running through the jungle and comes across a military camp with dead bodies every where and even a completely skinned person hanging from the trees (another nod to the 1st film). At this point there are 3 members of Team X left, Logan, Maverick and an unknown female named Jackson, she gets caught by a Yautja via a metal rope around her neck, she is yanked up into the canopy only for her decapitated body to be dropped back down next to Logan and Maverick. Logan and Maverick fire blindly into the trees, once they expend their ammo they check Jackson's body to see it was booby trapped with a bomb which goes off injuring both of them. Logan is able to heal but he has to carry Maverick as he is now unable to walk, and Yautja tries to take advantage of this situation but Maverick spots him and shoots him until he is incapacitated.

Logan now carries Maverick into an abandoned Mayan temple that the military camp was based around that they used for storage, where he finds the general and his men that they are there to assassinate. The general proposes the two teams call a truce as they have a common enemy in the Predator's and they need to be dealt with first. The general stations a few guards at the entrance of the which the remaining Yautja easily dispatch. Deeper in the temple there is a glint that draws the Predators' attention, the go to investigate and it is the flying bladed weapon, then the Yautja look around and realize it is a trap as the room is filled with explosives which go off destroying the temple and presumably killing everyone inside. Team X is extracted by helicopter, Sabretooth has healed and rejoined, the Professor from Weapon X asks Logan if the general was killed and Logan assures him that he was, but we see the general slinking away into the jungle, at this point we also see that some how one of the Yautja survived the explosion in the temple.

The book ends with another time jump, now we are at the Weapon X facility during the time when Logan got his adamantium. The surviving Predator (still the same one from issue 1) shows up and kills everyone in his path to Logan, the book ends with the Yautja standing over an unconscious/sedated Logan on one of the Weapon X experiment tables with all the wires still attached to his body.

This was such a fun read, it was literally what I would expect if you took out Arnold and his team from the movie and subbed in Team X from the comics, just so flawlessly executed. The art was great, even an improvement over issue one and I thought Land did a solid job last issue. Percy knows what he's doing with this, he's not trying to one up the film, rather he is paying homage to it by practically giving us a "what it" version of it in 32 pages. This is, so far, exactly what I wanted and expected from this book and I have faith the next issues will continue to live up to the bar that has already been set. Just absolutely fantastic.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Loved it. Lots of fun, and definitely delivering on my high expectations for this match up that I've wanted for decades!
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Good issue. I really wouldnt mind Predator to be up against Wolverine on Ps5 game. It would be better if the game is mostly about Wolverine and not count the power houses from Marvel which is good. I also watched Prey yesterday. It was a great comeback from Predator franchise.