Spectacular Member Nightcrawler92's Avatar

Default Has it been canceled?

Has Spider-man (The Dan Slott version) been canceled?

And yes, I know I'm cheating but I don't want to make two threads: is Scarlet Witch 10 the last issue of the series as well?
    Pull List:

DC: Flash, Justice Society, Green Lantern

Boom: Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers

Image: Undiscovered Country, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun

Marvel: Ultimate Spider-man, X-men, Daredevil, Iron man, Thor, Hulk

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Yes and no on both accounts but I am just going to say yes because that is less confusing. Spider-Man was cancelled and then split into two titles: Spider-Boy and Superior Spider-Man. Scarlet Witch was also cancelled but is being relaunched as Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch. Or...was it Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? It was one of those two.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 10-27-2023 at 12:11 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Yes and no on both accounts but I am just going to say yes because that is less confusing. Spider-Man was cancelled and then split into two titles: Spider-Boy and Superior Spider-Man. Scarlet Witch was also cancelled but is being relaunched as Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch. Or...was it Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? It was one of those two.
    Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver. But it’s only a mini.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

I'm a bit surprised they didn't get a fill-in team for Spider-Man, although that might undercut the idea that this book is special.

It seems to have been the most successful satellite book since Brand New Day changed the schedule (and frankly, the satellite books were declining in significance before that.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm a bit surprised they didn't get a fill-in team for Spider-Man, although that might undercut the idea that this book is special.

It seems to have been the most successful satellite book since Brand New Day changed the schedule (and frankly, the satellite books were declining in significance before that.)
    Oh, you know it doesn't work like that anymore!

If there was a "fill-in team", they would just get their own satellite with a new number 1 (with a new or previously used adjective to tack on to "Spider-Man")!

Incredible Member

The first issue was Marvel's most successful launch of 2023, and that issue was one of the highest ranking books in the industry for both dollars and units. Almost half of our issues (5 out of 11) sold out on the retailer level and went back to press for 2nd printings (that is a crazy stat that any Marvel or DC book would kill for. I was on the side of the argument to keep the numbering going on the Bagley & me book after the fission, but was eventually swayed over to the argument of doing two new #1s.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Oh, you know it doesn't work like that anymore!

If there was a "fill-in team", they would just get their own satellite with a new number 1 (with a new or previously used adjective to tack on to "Spider-Man")!
    That may work with Amazing Spider-Man, but I don't think it works on the satellites.

The satellite books are pretty much doomed to fail unless you have a very careful approach.

I will still maintain Spider-Man was the most successful satellite in a long time.

It sold okay. It god buzz with the new Spider-Verse saga, and the positive reception to the debut of Bailey.

Getting legends to tell new stories gives the series a hook that won't be the case if it's just a writer and artist in good standing at Marvel.

A new #1 wouldn't help unless the creative team were something like Jonathan Hickman & Marco Chechetto.

I wonder if one reason they didn't continue the regular Spider-Man book is they're concerned about oversaturation, with twice-monthly Amazing Spider-Man, a Spider-Boy spinoff, the new Superior Spider-Man ongoing (?- still unclear how long that will last) and the new Ultimate Spider-Man. With that much content coming out Marvel doesn't need new issues of Spider-Man, just to have something to publish.

And the brand of the title would be diminished if it were seen as filler work. At some point, Slott may be back to it and they can go with a new #1 then (although having two #1s with the same writer seems like a recipe for a confusion. I know that Slott has two Amazing Spider-Man #1s and two Superior Spider-Man #1s.)

* Edit- And while I was posting that, Slott explained Marvel's reasoning. Superior Spider-Man is basically what Spider-Man was.

An issue for Spider-Man comics is that the satellite books don't have strong brands. Sensational Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man and Web of Spider-Man are essentially second-tier Spider-Man comics. That's what they're associated with.

The strongest title brands independent of Amazing Spider-Man are Amazing Fantasy, (Adjectiveless) Spider-Man and - it seems- Superior Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 10-29-2023 at 11:21 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

And you forgot to even mention Miles Morales: Spider-Man there.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

That may work with Amazing Spider-Man, but I don't think it works on the satellites.

The satellite books are pretty much doomed to fail unless you have a very careful approach.

I will still maintain Spider-Man was the most successful satellite in a long time.

It sold okay. It god buzz with the new Spider-Verse saga, and the positive reception to the debut of Bailey.

Getting legends to tell new stories gives the series a hook that won't be the case if it's just a writer and artist in good standing at Marvel.

A new #1 wouldn't help unless the creative team were something like Jonathan Hickman & Marco Chechetto.

I wonder if one reason they didn't continue the regular Spider-Man book is they're concerned about oversaturation, with twice-monthly Amazing Spider-Man, a Spider-Boy spinoff, the new Superior Spider-Man ongoing (?- still unclear how long that will last) and the new Ultimate Spider-Man. With that much content coming out Marvel doesn't need new issues of Spider-Man, just to have something to publish.

And the brand of the title would be diminished if it were seen as filler work. At some point, Slott may be back to it and they can go with a new #1 then (although having two #1s with the same writer seems like a recipe for a confusion. I know that Slott has two Amazing Spider-Man #1s and two Superior Spider-Man #1s.)

* Edit- And while I was posting that, Slott explained Marvel's reasoning. Superior Spider-Man is basically what Spider-Man was.

An issue for Spider-Man comics is that the satellite books don't have strong brands. Sensational Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man and Web of Spider-Man are essentially second-tier Spider-Man comics. That's what they're associated with.

The strongest title brands independent of Amazing Spider-Man are Amazing Fantasy, (Adjectiveless) Spider-Man and - it seems- Superior Spider-Man.
    Agree with most of this.

I do feel that most satellites will "fail", meaning they can only go so long before the thrill (if any) fades.

Slott coming in to do a series does make it more interesting how long it goes. But even then, in my mind he knows how long he wants to go and it would truly surprise if Spiderboy or Superior go longer than 24 issues each (not due to sales, but simply because he told the story he wanted to).

Back to the "fill-in team" concept - is that even a thing now, at least on the writing side? I know a few long running writers will have a co-writer pitch in, but I don't see that as fill-in because the plot stays continuous.