Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Supergirl Special #1 Preview

Preview here

Soon we’ll find out if this is setting up a new Supergirl series or not.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I like the art. Between the pastel-y young adult style and hilarious bits like Steel's heat vision and Kenan looking like Bruce Lee. And I like how they tease the redundancy with PG before dropping it
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Boo hoo. These young heroes always feel so lost and redundant these days - snore.

Kara suddenly depressed again? Random Supergirl vs Power Girl comparisons? This feels like it's written as a companion piece to Leah Williams' Power Girl.

Astonishing Member

Love the cover. The first few pages are kinda meh, but hoping the cover is a better reflection of her attitude in the special.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by hotroddii View Post
    Boo hoo. These young heroes always feel so lost and redundant these days - snore.
    I blame the pants.
    It’s because they’re wearing pants now.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I blame the pants.
    It’s because they’re wearing pants now.
    And jackets. Don't forget about the jackets .

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And jackets. Don't forget about the jackets .
    I still say after the jackets are gone some writer is gonna have a character say something along the lines of, “hey, remember that time we all wore jackets for some reason?” Either that or some Members Only joke. Either would work.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Overall I enjoyed it. Great art, I want to see this artist do more Superman stuff. Story is retreading familiar beats, I don’t know why DC keeps spinning Kara in circles, but Tamaki has a good handle on Kara’s voice and I’d like to see this get followed up with a Supergirl series. Unfortunately there’s no tease that this is happening which makes me wonder why DC put this out.

Fully back to the Pre-Crisis/WoT origin now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

It feels like most female characters are stuck in a rut of repetitive plot beats.

I honestly don’t get what was the point of this issue. The forced animosity between SG and PG was already dealt with in the Power Girl back-ups. Sure, it wasn’t well written, but it’s been less than 6 months. Why repeat this same plotline? It’s not compelling and it doesn’t say anything new or worthwhile about any of the two.
    They’re writing these books as if both characters hadn’t spent years and years coexisting before. They should focus on making them stand out and be unique from each other instead of writing about them mending fences for the millionth time.
    Meanwhile, PG’s book reads exactly like a Supergirl comic would (same set-up as Supergirl’s TV show and she even has SG’s cat instead of her own). And it’s still not clear which direction they want to take Supergirl. If any.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It feels like most female characters are stuck in a rut of repetitive plot beats.
    Conner’s in the same boat. King mentioned once that editorial had no faith in Supergirl to sell, I guess maybe that’s why we keep getting these stories that just repeat each other? Because editorial is dumb and doesn’t know what to do other than tell stories about how they don’t know what to do? Tamaki has a very solid handle on Kara, they should just ask her to pitch a direction for her if they haven’t already.

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

I enjoyed this issue and hope to see more of Supergirl's history and her personality, I know who is Superman, Superman is what he can do and Clark Kent is who he is. But with Supergirl, I still don't know, she always written as an angst teenager.

With Powergirl there always be some fiction, remind me the episode of Riker transporter clone in Star Trek TNG, you know your flaws and you can see it in an other you. The cupcake thing show that in their core they are the same or similar, or they like a cupcake sandwich.

Incredible Member

Well, that was basically a repeat of what we've already seen recently, as expected. I did like the scenes with Jon and Lois, though. Also the cupcake sandwich, that was charming.

The Superfamily stuff was good though the Twins speech patterns were off. DC really should try and put out a Superfamily mini that attempts to tackle the Family dynamics since much as I’ve enjoyed his run that part was fairly superfluous over in PKJ Action. At least we have gotten some scenes of Kara sharing Kryptonian lore with the Twins there and here.