View Poll Results: Which Justice Society of America run do you prefer?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marc Guggenheim's 2010-2011 run, issues #44-54

3 12.00%
  • Geoff Johns' current run, The New Golden Age-to-issue #6

22 88.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Between Marc Guggenheim's 2010-2011 run and Geoff Johns' current output . . .

Between Marc Guggenheim's 2010-2011 run on Justice Society of America (pre-New52, issues #44-54) and Geoff Johns' current output (2022-the present, from The New Golden Age to (currently) Justice Society of America #6), which do you prefer?

Johns was at least trying to add something to the JSA. Guggenheim's run did nothing but tear down the JSA, both individually and collectively. And when confronted by fans with blatant mistakes he was making, Guggenheim doubled down and insisted he wasn't getting things wrong at all (see his "I can too break Alan Scott's neck" nonsense).

Johns by a mile.

Astonishing Member

It was like choosing between death by fire or death by starvation and sorry but fire won.

Guggenheim was a year of hell but it had a definite end. And bad as his lows were you still had something to read while you waited him out.

Johns run just keeps hanging on.You keep thinking it ended and then a new issue appears and the doomsday clock is reset. Six issues where nothing really happens to set up a Huntress no one else will use. Hints of back story with Power Girl in the 1970's left to rot while we get the character replaced over in the Super-titles. A min-series done timely to introduce a dozen characters who now wait in vain for Johns to put out another issue about them.

I'd rather the team vanish under a bad pen than be given empty promises dribbled out with little likelihood of getting a payoff.

Johns by a mile.

The New Golden Age one-shot, the Stargirl summer special and the Stargirl miniseries were all excellent. For the most part I'm intrigued by the new JSA as well and only the delays have disrupted the series for me. I won't condone or condemn the series though until it reaches its conclusion.

On the other hand, Guggenheim's JSA run was awful.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Is this a prank poll? I have to ask because Guggenheim's JSA run was probably the worst ever. I still shudder about what he did to Alan Scott. He also added characters to the team that made no sense as they had no connection to the JSA or even the Golden Age such as Blue Devil, Ri, and Darknight. The villains in his run seemed uninspired as well.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I'm not the biggest fan of Johns' current JSA work (other than Stargirl) but I'd still take it over Guggenheim.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    Johns by a mile.

The New Golden Age one-shot, the Stargirl summer special and the Stargirl miniseries were all excellent. For the most part I'm intrigued by the new JSA as well and only the delays have disrupted the series for me. I won't condone or condemn the series though until it reaches its conclusion.

On the other hand, Guggenheim's JSA run was awful.
    The Stargirl Spring Break Special and the Stargirl: The Lost Children six-issue series aren't part of this thread/poll. Just The New Golden Age one-shot followed by the Justice Society of America series.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The Stargirl Spring Break Special and the Stargirl: The Lost Children six-issue series aren't part of this thread/poll. Just The New Golden Age one-shot followed by the Justice Society of America series.
    The series are interconnected with Stargirl leading directly into JSA issue 6 and as such I consider Stargirl to be a part of Johns' overall JSA storyline. To include the New Golden Age one-shot but ignore Stargirl seems disingenuous.

Either way it wouldn't change my vote. Guggenheim's run on JSA was truly terrible.

Johns' run without doubt is 1000 times better. His 2007 run was also the run that made me start reading DC years ago. Guggenheim's run of the JSA was extremely awful (and I'm being nice), not only because of the treatment of the characters (Alan or Mr. Terrific being the biggest examples), adding random characters with no connection to the JSA nor the Golden Age to the team (like Blue Devil or some of his bland original characters from one of his Batman's stories), or the way that some plots were fixed with no sense. The only good thing idea he had was bringing the original Liberty Belle to the main roster, but everything else was extremely horrible.

Even if his current run is being too slow because of the delays and the focus on Huntress, it's still 1000 better than any comic written by Guggenheim in his long mediocre career.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Johns for me and pretty comfortably, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Between Marc Guggenheim's 2010-2011 run on Justice Society of America (pre-New52, issues #44-54) and Geoff Johns' current output (2022-the present, from The New Golden Age to (currently) Justice Society of America #6), which do you prefer?
    Good god, I prefer for the world to end.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Eighteen people have voted so far . . . only two chose Marc Guggenheim's 2010-2011 run over Geoff Johns' latest endeavour.

Other than maybe the scheduling problems, nothing in Johns' current run comes close to how bad the Guggenheim tenure was.

Guggenheim's run read like he was hired specifically to take a machete to the JSA and its members and hack away just to cause as much damage as possible. I'm sure that that's a hyperbolic overreaction on my part. And yet, his run was the last before the New 52 erased the JSA from DC for years, and it ended with Alan Scott dying. It just all felt so...vindictive.

Not even close...1000% for Geoff Johns. Love the book. Don't care if its late...it is great.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!