Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Gotham Knights was surprisingly good!

Going in, I was really expecting a lackluster teen drama like Disney's Descendants, but...it was actually a pretty solid series. I really felt like I got to know the characters and felt for them as they grew, changed, and healed from their pasts. Duela Dent and the OC Turner Wayne were especially interesting, and I feel like this version of Duela was appropriate for the series while being respectful to the comics' portrayal of the character, including pulling together her multiple choice past and many talents into a much more coherent arc than the one in the comics. I also think the romance between Batman's adopted son and the Joker's adopted daughter was a nice touch.

The overall dynamic was a lot different than the Gotham series, too. The world felt more fleshed out, and the characters were easier to relate to. Plus, the plot points actually made sense. I also really liked Duela's and Harvey's relationship. The way the characters are written shows that the show writers were familiar with the comics.
    Last edited by kcomics; 10-29-2023 at 04:08 AM.

Mighty Member

Their Stephanie was nothing like her comic self at all bare the bare surface level similarities.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Their Stephanie was nothing like her comic self at all bare the bare surface level similarities.
    Oh, okay, then. To be fair, I don't know a lot about Stephanie Brown, so I guess that's maybe why the series gets so much hate?

Extraordinary Member

Harvey and Duella Dent were good. Everything else was terrible. It was a terribly written show from start to finish.

In terms of Stephanie Brown, the only thing that was at all accurate in the show was her mother's drug addiction. The real Steph is poor and the daughter of a C-list supervillain called the Cluemaster. She was created as a plot device for a story in which the Cluemaster stopped leaving clues to his crimes, but was caught anyway because his own daughter decided to become a vigilante called the Spoiler and left clues instead for Batman and Robin to discover Cluemaster's plans. She was well-received and stuck around, becoming Tim Drake's primary love interest for about 30 years until DC decided he was gay now. So her being a rich private-school kid with a celebrity dad who also happens to be a lesbian is as far from the real Steph as it's possible to be. Batwoman did a much better job in the 1 episode the character appeared in in that show even if it changed her hair color since it bothered to get the basics right in her having a supercriminal father whose crime spree she opposed. Gotham Knights' Steph is the equivalent of a show where Peter Parker is a rich nephew of celebrity Ben Parker, never becomes Spider-Man, and dumps MJ and Gwen to date Flash Thompson.

Bluebird

Bluebird and her brother were well done, imo. Then again, I'm kinda biased.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Harvey and Duella Dent were good. Everything else was terrible. It was a terribly written show from start to finish.

In terms of Stephanie Brown, the only thing that was at all accurate in the show was her mother's drug addiction. The real Steph is poor and the daughter of a C-list supervillain called the Cluemaster. She was created as a plot device for a story in which the Cluemaster stopped leaving clues to his crimes, but was caught anyway because his own daughter decided to become a vigilante called the Spoiler and left clues instead for Batman and Robin to discover Cluemaster's plans. She was well-received and stuck around, becoming Tim Drake's primary love interest for about 30 years until DC decided he was gay now. So her being a rich private-school kid with a celebrity dad who also happens to be a lesbian is as far from the real Steph as it's possible to be. Batwoman did a much better job in the 1 episode the character appeared in in that show even if it changed her hair color since it bothered to get the basics right in her having a supercriminal father whose crime spree she opposed. Gotham Knights' Steph is the equivalent of a show where Peter Parker is a rich nephew of celebrity Ben Parker, never becomes Spider-Man, and dumps MJ and Gwen to date Flash Thompson.
    Even with her mom's drug addiction they really didn't do it accurate as her mom was portrayed as totally unsympathetic unlike in the comics. The writer for GK admitted to seeing a lot of herself in Stephanie so it feels like she was using her as a self-insert.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Even with her mom's drug addiction they really didn't do it accurate as her mom was portrayed as totally unsympathetic unlike in the comics. The writer for GK admitted to seeing a lot of herself in Stephanie so it feels like she was using her as a self-insert.
    Even made her a lesbian to hook her up with Harper .

My impression from the OP is that the show would have been better received if it had been titled Joker's Daughter and focused mostly on Duela Dent instead of half-assing the Batkids.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    My impression from the OP is that the show would have been better received if it had been titled Joker's Daughter and focused mostly on Duela Dent instead of half-assing the Batkids.
    Granted I think that would have had an even harder time finding an audience.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcomics View Post
    Oh, okay, then. To be fair, I don't know a lot about Stephanie Brown, so I guess that's maybe why the series gets so much hate?
    Series was announced around the same time as game with the same name, based on a team and comic of the same name, each with different cast

So the response was if they wanna make a series called Gotham Knights about Bat family they should feature Dick, Barbara, Jason, Tim, Steph, Cass, Kate, or Luke (Jean-Paul, Harper and Cullen can be included since they also involved sometimes but general audience don't know them) and if they want to feature a son of Bruce it should be Dick, Jason, Tim, or Damian and not an original character

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Series was announced around the same time as game with the same name, based on a team and comic of the same name, each with different cast

So the response was if they wanna make a series called Gotham Knights about Bat family they should feature Dick, Barbara, Jason, Tim, Steph, Cass, Kate, or Luke (Jean-Paul, Harper and Cullen can be included since they also involved sometimes but general audience don't know them) and if they want to feature a son of Bruce it should be Dick, Jason, Tim, or Damian and not an original character
    Or at least include actual comics and not some no-name original character...

Mighty Member

They probably didn't have access to Dick, Jason, and Tim since Titans was using them. And Damian wouldn't really fit the story they were telling with Turner.

I remember hearing a rumor that Turner was supposed to be Joe Chill's kid. I guess that ended up being false or was based on earlier scrapped plans.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Are people still not realising this was just a hastily retooled version of the Arrow spin-off that failed (and wasted a whole episode of the final series)? Slap on a few Bat-character names and it suddenly gets a series.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Are people still not realising this was just a hastily retooled version of the Arrow spin-off that failed (and wasted a whole episode of the final series)? Slap on a few Bat-character names and it suddenly gets a series.
    Whatever happened to William!?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Whatever happened to William!?
    Few will ever know, fewer would care. Lol.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!