Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Given the complete character assassination both characters have suffered is there anyway to be able to fix this?
    By marriage! So Peter will still be single but (his clone) married at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    I just want Peter to (A) Actually win a lot more battles and (B) stop getting chewed out by his supposed 'friends'. The latter especially bugs me, particularly Miles doing it... Peters had enough crap to deal with, and this shouldn't have taken place. It's just another example of Wells hack writing.
    It doesn't matter how much money you have and how much you success you have, if the people you're closest to are distant, cold, and disappointed in you, then it's a frustrating read.

Miles is a literal child chewing Peter out for failing to step up as Spider-Man in a recent issue. That paints a narrative that readers make conclusions based upon.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    It doesn't matter how much money you have and how much you success you have, if the people you're closest to are distant, cold, and disappointed in you, then it's a frustrating read.

Miles is a literal child chewing Peter out for failing to step up as Spider-Man in a recent issue. That paints a narrative that readers make conclusions based upon.
    The sad part is that Nick Spencer also began his run with Peter alienated from most of his friends and allies and loved ones, though he was kind enough to offer a light at the end of that tunnel with Mary Jane, not to mention that by the end of the first arc, he'd made up with Aunt May and the second or third arc ended with restoring his (platonic) relationship with Black Cat by re-revealing his identity to her. Even the ongoing subplot of his erstwhile friends and allies in the superhero community becoming suspicious and untrusting of him was ultimately resolved by just having them talk it out and admit that they were upset Peter was neglecting to answer their calls and messages, and Peter admitting that he could (try to) do better by his amazing friends, too, and not always go it alone. Honestly, I think the upcoming (verbal) confrontation between Peter and Miles would go down a lot better if it wasn't attached to or on the tail end of a run that started by essentially blowing up every last good thing in Peter's life that was established by the end of Nick Spencer's run and having what good things did come into his life afterwards tainted by association with a magically reformed (not necessarily redeemed) Norman Osborn or simply fizzle out, like his briefly restarted romance with the Black Cat.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Again… gonna use Sam and Rich here as the better ideal.

Loveness deserved a longer run.
    Agreed (especially if it means he doesn't write Quantumania ) though at least Rich has Al Ewing compared to Peter's situation right now...and Sam wishes he got the amount of love Miles gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I want to emphasize that I think the current run is terrible, but I think the idea that Peter is depicted as some miserable, immature loser isn't really fair-minded. He's had some angst over the MJ thing, but he's mostly just going about his life as usual with a steady job and such. It isn't a good run by any stretch, but I feel like anything less than a Peter Parker in a traditional nuclear family set-up is going to be viewed by certain fans as an immature failure regardless of what's on the page.

I'm not even against the marriage and am looking forward to USM, but it definitely feels like there's a strong bias among fans that the only acceptable way to write Peter is as a family man now and I find it a little narrow-minded.
    Again, though, the MJ love drama is pretty bad whether they're dwelling on it or not (and there have been 3-4 arcs where it was present and just ended up making Peter and MJ looking bad), his job is barely in focus and is courtesy of his archenemy, and he barely wins fights or gets any respect. His "as usual" in this run just feels like he's spinning his wheels until the next major conflict he will inevitably accomplish the bare minimum in handling.

I'm not a stickler for the marriage or Peter being a dad but I feel like he could be portrayed wayyyy better than he is right now.

Fantastic Member

Forget Ben and MJ for the moment... it's Peter who really needs to get fixed. That would start by canning Wells...

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    Forget Ben and MJ for the moment... it's Peter who really needs to get fixed. That would start by canning Wells...
    The saying does go, "The fish rots from the head," after all.

after I finish reading the clone saga the only way to fix Ben is to let him stay dead. As for Mj just make her Peter girlfriend again thats only when she gets the most interest in her character.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    after I finish reading the clone saga the only way to fix Ben is to let him stay dead. As for Mj just make her Peter girlfriend again thats only when she gets the most interest in her character.
    Respectfully disagree. I think killing Ben (again) is the laziest thing they could do, even more so than making him a villain. As much as I don't like this direction I'd rather they do something with him than just offing him and basically deciding why even bother. Besides there's still always a chance someone will bring him back anyways so what's even the point. Just fix his mind and make him Scarlet Spider again and have DeMatteis or someone else (Steve Foxe maybe?) write a mini about him and maybe even have him appear in ASM every so often. It's that simple imo. Not that I think they'll necessarily do that (I'm fully expecting a Chasm series to get spun-out of ASM), but it's still something.

You literally can write Ben out by having him and Janine marry and have them move outside the state somewhere nice and start a new life. And then just have him pop every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    You literally can write Ben out by having him and Janine marry and have them move outside the state somewhere nice and start a new life. And then just have him pop every now and then.
    Basically have Ben do the Portland arc. I guess to me having him be on a shelf somewhere is no different than him being dead. Kinda like what’s happening with Kaine right now. Since he has been “revive” he hasn’t been used once so what’s the point
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=Jman27;6662735]Basically have Ben do the Portland arc. I guess to me having him be on a shelf somewhere is no different than him being dead. Kinda like what’s happening with Kaine right now. Since he has been “revive” he hasn’t been used once so what’s the

Ben having a happy ending is much different than killing him off and having him die without any redemption.

Basically have Ben do the Portland arc. I guess to me having him be on a shelf somewhere is no different than him being dead. Kinda like what’s happening with Kaine right now. Since he has been “revive” he hasn’t been used once so what’s the point
    Yeah, but at least he is alive and not ruined yet. Or so we hope. But Marvel pretty much is garbage right now.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=Refrax5;6663036]
    Basically have Ben do the Portland arc. I guess to me having him be on a shelf somewhere is no different than him being dead. Kinda like what’s happening with Kaine right now. Since he has been “revive” he hasn’t been used once so what’s the

Ben having a happy ending is much different than killing him off and having him die without any redemption.
    Paraphrasing Lowe, here's one thing Marvel doesn't do with characters "set in stone": A Happy ending

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=Sr. Bungle;6663497]
    Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post

Paraphrasing Lowe, here's one thing Marvel doesn't do with characters "set in stone": A Happy ending
    Which probably doesn't apply to Ben, since he's a c-list character that either throw in limbo, kill off, or try to reinvent. He isn't a "set in stone" character the way Peter Parker or Steve Rogers or Tony Stark are.

If they don't want to use him, letting him happily ride off in the sunset with Janine is better than killing him off. If a writer wants to use him again someday, he's there without yet another goofy resurrection story.

[QUOTE=Refrax5;6663803]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post

Which probably doesn't apply to Ben, since he's a c-list character that either throw in limbo, kill off, or try to reinvent. He isn't a "set in stone" character the way Peter Parker or Steve Rogers or Tony Stark are.

If they don't want to use him, letting him happily ride off in the sunset with Janine is better than killing him off. If a writer wants to use him again someday, he's there without yet another goofy resurrection story.
    And even Steve Rogers and Tony Stark had a lot more lasting changes than Peter Parker has been allowed to have.