Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Prestige directors views on the MCU and comic book movies

Scorsese has made comments in recent years about his dislike for the MCU/comic book movies as has Francis Ford Coppola and others. The director of Dune basically said it was copy paste. But I feel Scorsese's recent comments about how filmmakers need to fight back to "save cinema" that basically CBM's are toxic for cinema I think is a little much. It spits in the face of CBM fans like myself. It's fine to not enjoy it but to say CBM's need to go away isn't right.

Related but tangential, I am a little surprised that Quentin Tarantino is kind of indifferent/aloof to the MCU considering that he used to work in a comic book store years before becoming a filmmaker.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    It spits in the face of CBM fans like myself.
    c'mon! we are not that fragile. I don't mind them criticizing cbm and mcu movies and said criticism being part of their normal press junket but I'm glad the figures that are criticizing cbm aren't rewarded with box office success even when those cbm/mcu movies' successes at the box office are waning.

it just highlights the futility of their stance. It isn't the cbm it is the general audiences that doesn't want what they're serving.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Incredible Member

They have opinions just like everyone else. Cinema doesn’t need saving and if it did then that just means it wasn’t good enough to justify its existence.

If CBM weren’t popular right now they would just find something else to blame for the death of “cinema”. Like video games or streaming. Basically anything that offers an alternative to going out to the theater.

This is just some old man “back in my day” bs. Anyone who uses the word “cinema” seriously probably shouldn’t be taken as such.

I mean, they are right.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

People have been saying the same stuff about "blockbusters" ever since Star Wars. Comic book movies are just the latest iteration.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    People have been saying the same stuff about "blockbusters" ever since Star Wars. Comic book movies are just the latest iteration.
    The funny thing is that without these “blockbusters” many theaters would go out of business. “Cinema” just doesn’t pack the seats.

This has literally already been done...

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-aren-t-cinema

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    'Zactly. They said mean stuff about *The Wizard of Oz,* back in the day.

Older film-maker whose movies *aren't* making a billion dollars at the box office shake's fist at younger generations' questionable taste and 'the death of cinema.' Film at 11.

Movies that put asses in seats keep the cinemas alive to showcase your 'art,' grandpa, so sit down before you hurt yourself.

Remember when Elvis was controversial?

Yah, I don't; I'm not that old.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Remember when Elvis was controversial?
    Yah, I don't; I'm not that old.
    I used to love Elvis movies on tv when I was a kid! I feel like nobody shows them anymore - is it about the song royalties? (same with Gary Coleman movies ... are they seen as problematic now?)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-29-2023 at 11:20 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I mean, they are right.
    Funny how Zack Snyder fans love to say that, as if these people think his movies are any different.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

People have every right to their opinion, just as others have the right to disagree and ignore it. For me, it’s unfortunate that it always comes across as people acting judgey, trying to limit expression, and setting themselves up as the arbiters of culture. It comes across as narrow-minded to say “cinema” is only what me and my friends like.

I will also say that some of it smacks of jealousy, self-promotion, and grumpy old man syndrome. Like when Tarantino said CBM are the only things being made. That’s clearly nonsense. And no one can argue that traditional studios made the wrong decision to pass on handing Scorsese $150-million and $200-million for The Irishman and KOTFM (which cost as much as The Flash and will make less).

Yeah. That’s the rub. It’s often not just “I don’t like this thing,” it’s “I don’t like this thing and nothing like it should ever be made again.”

The first is an opinion. The second is closer to gatekeeping.

And then, weirdly, there are some people with a major axe to grind against the whole MCU fandom because “some MCU fan” was mean to them on some post, somewhere.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 10-29-2023 at 02:03 PM.

Scorsese just got mad at cinemas for putting a break in his latest insanely long film, claiming that you could watch TV for over five hours without needing a piss (unlikely at his age). He made some good films, but he’s become the embodiment of “Old Man Yells At Clouds”.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    People have every right to their opinion, just as others have the right to disagree and ignore it. For me, it’s unfortunate that it always comes across as people acting judgey, trying to limit expression, and setting themselves up as the arbiters of culture. It comes across as narrow-minded to say “cinema” is only what me and my friends like.

I will also say that some of it smacks of jealousy, self-promotion, and grumpy old man syndrome. Like when Tarantino said CBM are the only things being made. That’s clearly nonsense. And no one can argue that traditional studios made the wrong decision to pass on handing Scorsese $150-million and $200-million for The Irishman and KOTFM (which cost as much as The Flash and will make less).
    This is pretty much where I am with it.