Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Martin Scorsese is one of the best and arguably the best filmmaker of all time. But you know who also was that? Frank Capra and he thought New Hollywood was crap that it replaced story with smut. This sounds like Old Man yelling get off my lawn.

Francis Ford Coppola made 3 of the best movies of all time Godfather, Godfather II, and Apocalypse Now, he also Jack so he needs to seat the F down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Martin Scorsese is one of the best and arguably the best filmmaker of all time. But you know who also was that? Frank Capra and he thought New Hollywood was crap that it replaced story with smut. This sounds like Old Man yelling get off my lawn.

Francis Ford Coppola made 3 of the best movies of all time Godfather, Godfather II, and Apocalypse Now, he also Jack so he needs to seat the F down.
    These guys started out as outside the mainstream, and they are again. They should be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Scorsese has made comments in recent years about his dislike for the MCU/comic book movies as has Francis Ford Coppola and others. The director of Dune basically said it was copy paste. But I feel Scorsese's recent comments about how filmmakers need to fight back to "save cinema" that basically CBM's are toxic for cinema I think is a little much. It spits in the face of CBM fans like myself. It's fine to not enjoy it but to say CBM's need to go away isn't right.

Related but tangential, I am a little surprised that Quentin Tarantino is kind of indifferent/aloof to the MCU considering that he used to work in a comic book store years before becoming a filmmaker.
    He wants Marvel and DC to die so his movies can get the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    These guys started out as outside the mainstream, and they are again. They should be happy.
    They ought to be happy that they lived through the 90s, a decade where overlong stories about the man pain of gangsters was considered the highest possible form of art, and frequently packed the all-time top ten lists of film magazines (anyone remember magazines?).

Astonishing Member

I dont really understand this stuff at all. People generally with a few exceptions dont want to see these prestige films in the theaters. Thats all there is to it. I am looking at the top 20 domestic grosses this year. Only Oppenheimer and I guess Sound of Freedom whatever that is would even be considered " prestige"

This is top 20 domestic this year.

1 Barbie
    2 Super Marios
    3 Across Spidey verse
    4 Guardians of Galaxy
    5 Oppenheimer
    6 The little mermaid
    7 Ant-man
    8 John Wick 3
    9 Sound of Freedom
    10 Indiana Jones
    11 Mission Impossible
    12 Transformers
    13 Creed 3
    14 Elemental
    15 Fast X
    16 Taylor Swift
    17 Teenage Mutant turtles
    18 Scream 6 or whatever number they are on
    19 The Flash
    20 M3gan

Now imagine the shape theaters would be in if these prestige movies were the biggest of the year. Lets just say many would go out of business. Barely anyone is going to see most " serious" dramas. And heck even less are going to see comedies.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I dont really understand this stuff at all. People generally with a few exceptions dont want to see these prestige films in the theaters. Thats all there is to it. I am looking at the top 20 domestic grosses this year. Only Oppenheimer and I guess Sound of Freedom whatever that is would even be considered " prestige"

This is top 20 domestic this year.

1 Barbie
    2 Super Marios
    3 Across Spidey verse
    4 Guardians of Galaxy
    5 Oppenheimer
    6 The little mermaid
    7 Ant-man
    8 John Wick 3
    9 Sound of Freedom
    10 Indiana Jones
    11 Mission Impossible
    12 Transformers
    13 Creed 3
    14 Elemental
    15 Fast X
    16 Taylor Swift
    17 Teenage Mutant turtles
    18 Scream 6 or whatever number they are on
    19 The Flash
    20 M3gan

Now imagine the shape theaters would be in if these prestige movies were the biggest of the year. Lets just say many would go out of business. Barely anyone is going to see most " serious" dramas. And heck even less are going to see comedies.
    Those theaters would be the ones with 30 seats from 1950 and a reel to reel projector with sticky floors...

Related but tangential, I am a little surprised that Quentin Tarantino is kind of indifferent/aloof to the MCU considering that he used to work in a comic book store years before becoming a filmmaker.
    Tarantino is a bandwagoneer. Years ago he was geeking out when he was asked about the Pulp Fiction reference in The Winter Soldier. He's also on record saying he loved Thor: Ragnarok and The Avengers. https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...thor-ragnarok/

But then after Scorsese made it obligatory for "serious" filmmakers to shit on the MCU he suddenly came out saying that these movies aren't his cup of tea. Yeah right...
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Fantastic Member

If directors such as Orson Welles, Alfred Hitchcock and Stanley Kubrick were alive today, they'd very likely have similar views as Scorsese and other directors. Welles probably would been worse than Francis Ford Coppola was when the latter expressed his dislike for superhero films. Which is ironic since his nephew Nicolas Cage is was in several of them and is also a big comics fan. He even changed his birth surname to Cage as a tribute to Luke Cage.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Tarantino is a bandwagoneer. Years ago he was geeking out when he was asked about the Pulp Fiction reference in The Winter Soldier. He's also on record saying he loved Thor: Ragnarok and The Avengers. https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...thor-ragnarok/

But then after Scorsese made it obligatory for "serious" filmmakers to shit on the MCU he suddenly came out saying that these movies aren't his cup of tea. Yeah right...
    I don't think that's it.

Tarantino has been willing to criticize Scorsese.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...scorsese.html/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Those theaters would be the ones with 30 seats from 1950 and a reel to reel projector with sticky floors...
    LOL probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Remember when Elvis was controversial?

Yah, I don't; I'm not that old.
    What? Did you just drag Elvis as a mirror MCU. Apples vs Oranges baby.

Elvis was controversial with accusations that he was appropriating black music. He was never controversial for his lack of music gift.

Elvis's talent has stood the test of time, he is recognised as one of the greatest vocalists, performers and entertainers of all time. We forget Marvel made a film every month.

Scorsese has made comments in recent years about his dislike for the MCU/comic book movies as has Francis Ford Coppola and others. The director of Dune basically said it was copy paste. But I feel Scorsese's recent comments about how filmmakers need to fight back to "save cinema" that basically CBM's are toxic for cinema I think is a little much. It spits in the face of CBM fans like myself. It's fine to not enjoy it but to say CBM's need to go away isn't right.

I put this sentiment more on marvel and their fans with the road forward. Okay, we get it from the prestige directors. they hate MCU, they can move on but what is Marvel doing to prove them wrong and how can their fans contribute with helping Marvel achieve this mission. I heard Marvel likes to listen to their fans.

I like many of these directors but they all now sound like broken records constantly hating marvel. We are dealing with two types of the same bore. Two sides of the same coin. One side is MCU films are bad. The second side is directors spiting on them because they want to look all so mighty and superior and gain attention. Both sides are bad and I am tired of both.

I don't watch MCU films anymore and I don't read any internet hit piece of a director trashing MCU either.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    I put this sentiment more on marvel and their fans with the road forward. Okay, we get it from the prestige directors. they hate MCU, they can move on but what is Marvel doing to prove them wrong and how can their fans contribute with helping Marvel achieve this mission. I heard Marvel likes to listen to their fans.
    Prove them wrong? How do you disprove an opinion? Why should they even try?

Why do you want fans to get involved and what would that even entail?

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Elvis was controversial with accusations that he was appropriating black music. He was never controversial for his lack of music gift.
    Elvis was controversial for more than those things, baby.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Elvis was controversial for more than those things, baby.
    So was Polanski but Scorsese, Weinstein and some other prominent directors closed rank, signed a petition to get him released when he was arrested in Zurich just bc they love his films.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough