Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    It's silly because there's no winning. There's no move you can make-- at all-- that won't get you roasted online by a part of the fandom.
    That’s the reality of being a creative though. You’re never going to be able to please everyone. No use getting upset about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Word of mouth is the best. I agree with you on that. Word of mouth wins out in the end. But we're not back in the day. Back in the day there weren't online groups with specific personal agendas, culture war fanatics, and what-have-you. There weren't groups who'd review bomb a movie like THE MARVELS. Or people who'd use social media to go troll and ratio an editor working on a book for not giving in to their online demands.
    That's why I'll always say to filter the noise from the legitimate criticisms. But this still feels revisionist to me. I'm not some young dog here; there have been organized campaigns and petitions for comics and media for DECADES. I lived through the organized comic and movie protests of the 80s (and, yes, I voted to kill Jason Todd, but defended Michael Keaton's Batman).

As a businessman, the register is great, but not the end-all-be-all for me. I make money, sure, but who isn't buying and why? Those are always questions we have to grapple with, and sometimes you have customers that are simply unpleasable, but many times you have a larger demographic wanting to buy that isn't compared to an otherwise healthy but smaller demographic that is.

Ultimately, there's nothing inherently wrong with sticking with a safer, smaller bet so long as it's profitable.
    Last edited by Garlador; 11-12-2023 at 10:09 AM.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    That's comics. And movies. And video games. And basically every creative medium. And politics. And... ugh, basically everything. It's not unique to Spider-Boy or Spider-Man whatsoever.

I see that joked about every single day, because people view ideology like a battleground (this goes both ways with creators and consumers...), where people draw lines in the sand, insist their views are the only correct ones, and disregard all opposite sides in a binary black-and-white battle of wills. For my efforts, I TRY to remain subjective and see the big picture, then taking an informed stance.

But you're not arguing with one person. You're arguing with thousands of people with different views and stances and preferences. My wife shared the other day the double-standard for The Marvels movie, where women hero movies are expected to be "perfect" and need those high Rotten Tomato scores and big box office numbers, otherwise some Hollywood executive will - AGAIN - claim that women can't carry action movies and "woke" agendas are ruining films. When their movies succeed, folks give credit to every other factor. When they lose, it's because of the preconceived reasons in their heads. There is no "winning".

So the only response and life advice I've learned is that "winning" isn't important. Who cares if you win or lose? No, seriously? Say you convinced every hater tomorrow that Spider-Boy is the best thing ever... great. If nobody comes around at all... fine. The world keeps turning. The book may not ever be for them. "Citizen Kane" has a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes - so SOMEONE didn't like this seminal masterpiece of groundbreaking cinema, and they might hate it to their dying breath.

No creator should care too much about the "winners and losers" game. Just put out what your heart and talent drives you to create. "If you build it, they will come". Even the wildest and strangest books have a following. I had a brief heart-to-heart with J.M. DeMatteis about an oft-forgotten one-shot comic he wrote in the 90s that left a strong, positive impression on me, and it blew his mind that anyone remembered it, let alone walked away with a greater sense of appreciation for life afterwards, and he said it reminded him that no book is unimportant.

For what it's worth, Spider-Boy clearly has silenced many critics. I view myself as a healthy skeptic - and I'm not very happy with what's happening to many other characters in the pages of ASM - but that's independent of what Spider-Boy is doing, which I think it's doing well. I see vastly more positive messages regarding this book than certain other titles. I have no skin in this game; that's just my observation.

By all means, take feedback into consideration, but ultimately readers just want a good, fun, entertaining book, just as much as creators do. Filter out the noise, appreciate the positives, and ever march forward towards greatness. It's all any of us can do.
    Well said Garlador, that's just how I see it....

Dan, just go with what Garlador outlines, take online reviews "with a pinch of salt", knowing the nature of the platfor, and relax...

As you outline in your earlier post (#24) Spider-Boy is "flying off the shelves", you know you're on to a winner....and I mean that for you as a creator and creatively.....so, all good, enjoy..

Cheers

Jon

Incredible Member

That's comics. And movies. And video games. And basically every creative medium. And politics. And... ugh, basically everything. It's not unique to Spider-Boy or Spider-Man whatsoever.
    I agree with you!

I see that joked about every single day, because people view ideology like a battleground (this goes both ways with creators and consumers...), where people draw lines in the sand, insist their views are the only correct ones, and disregard all opposite sides in a binary black-and-white battle of wills. For my efforts, I TRY to remain subjective and see the big picture, then taking an informed stance.
    And that is greatly appreciated!!!

No creator should care too much about the "winners and losers" game. Just put out what your heart and talent drives you to create. "If you build it, they will come".
    I have spent the last month largely (or, for me, relatively) offline. I've been traveling, working remotely, visiting family & friends, celebrating some wonderful *real life* developments (things not related to comics, the entertainment industry, and video games). So a lot of online drama and nonsense has gone by largely unnoticed on my end... until I came back this weekend. So I absolutely get what you're talking about. I should probably take a HUGE step back from all of this online interaction nonsense, because-- oh Dear God-- the last month was absolute bliss without it. (At one point, I was soaking in a heated mineral pool with someone I care about, looking out across the Pacific Ocean under a Hunter's Moon. And... the perfect grace note... no WiFi.) This really has been a 12 hour return to my worst online habits and I should probably take that as a HUGE sign to turn around and shut that virtual door.

For what it's worth, Spider-Boy clearly has silenced many critics. I view myself as a healthy skeptic - and I'm not very happy with what's happening to many other characters in the pages of ASM - but that's independent of what Spider-Boy is doing, which I think it's doing well. I see vastly more positive messages regarding this book than certain other titles. I have no skin in this game; that's just my observation.
    When SPIDER-BOY #1 came out I was largely offline. I've very recently (EXTREMELY recently) binged a lot of the online reaction. My take away: People who've said they've read it have enjoyed it enough to say they'll be back for #2. Even if they said they "kinda" liked it, or begrudgingly liked it, they've all mostly said they'll stick around and see where it's going. And, in the end, that's all we can ask for-- and more than enough for me! Did I like the people who gushed about it? Absolutely! But (because I'm wired wrong) I absolutely adored all the videos that started with "Is Spider-Boy Worth The Hype?", "Did We Need This?", "Did We Ask For This?", and so on... that all ended with the reviewer saying they wanted to check out #2.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Good words from Garlador, and good response Dan...

I'm on board with Spider-Boy, expect it will continue to be fun...I like what you mention about #2 Dan, looking forward to a Christmassy story or two..

I always loved it when ASM had Spidey mixed in to the season, thwipping around NY in the snow, feeling the cold..I don't feel that's done much these days...

Cheers

Jon

Agree with Garlador, the most critical online voices would never buy the book in general, they don't want to like new things.

We are living in an age of massive cynicism and those folks can't keep it to themselves, misery loves company.

It's refreshing to me to read a light/fun comic book. Very much looking forward to Spider-Boy #2