View Poll Results: Who do you think should the 7th member of the JLA's Big Seven

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Martian Manhunter

86 76.11%
  • Cyborg

4 3.54%
  • Plastic Man

1 0.88%
  • Hawkman

3 2.65%
  • Hawkwoman

1 0.88%
  • Black Canary

5 4.42%
  • Robin

1 0.88%
  • Shazam

1 0.88%
  • Detective Chimp

2 1.77%
  • Somebody Else

9 7.96%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Okay, cool; thanks for the context.
    I’ll still go w. as long as it makes sense and isn’t done to fill a quota.

It’s funny, though. When Luke Cage joined the FF in 1976…

…and was put on retainer by Nighthawk as a Defender in 1977, after sparodically going on adventures w. them since 1974…

…his race was never a factor. Which I very much appreciated.
    I remember that, too, and was the way I wanted BL to be utilized by the JLA.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I remember that, too, and was the way I wanted BL to be utilized by the JLA.
    ^^^Oh God me too, that would’ve been great!

Retired

I'm assuming Ollie wasn't more popular than J'Onn in 1959, but maybe I'm wrong about that. He definitely has been more popular since the Bronze Age.
    Well, Ollie had been appearing in ADVENTURE COMICS (a monthly) and WORLD'S FINEST COMICS (a bi-monthly), while John Jones had been appearing only in DETECTIVE COMICS (a monthly). So Green Arrow had 1.5 stories to every 1 Manhunter Manhunter story. While Aquaman was appearing in ADVENTURE COMICS, so he was even with the Manhunter from Mars.

However, THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD 28 came out on December 29th, 1959, while ADVENTURE COMICS 269 came out two days later, on December 31st, 1959. And that was Mr. Queen and Master Harper's last appearance in that comic book. They were kicked out of ADVENTURE but remained in WORLD'S FINEST, while Arthur Curry kept his ADVENTURE gig.

That last story in ADVENTURE 269 had Green Arrow and Speedy visiting the offices of All-Star Comics, Inc.

Things only got worse for Green Arrow after that (eventually losing his spot in WORLD'S FINEST), while Aquaman saw his career go on the upswing. Things stayed about the same for J'Onn J'Onzz (although when he went into HOUSE OF MYSTERY that was only 8 months a year). And that's how it went up until around 1968.

But I look at it this way. Batman and Martian Manhunter were under Jack Schiff. Superman and Aquaman were under Mort Weisinger. Flash and Green Lantern were under Julie Schwartz. And Wonder Woman was under Bob Kanigher. 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 7. If Bob Kanigher had another super-hero to add to the group, then for the sake of office harmony, he should have submitted one. But since Bob and Julie shared an office, Kanigher probably didn't mind--and he did co-create the Flash, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Well, Ollie had been appearing in ADVENTURE COMICS (a monthly) and WORLD'S FINEST COMICS (a bi-monthly), while John Jones had been appearing only in DETECTIVE COMICS (a monthly). So Green Arrow had 1.5 stories to every 1 Manhunter Manhunter story. While Aquaman was appearing in ADVENTURE COMICS, so he was even with the Manhunter from Mars.

However, THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD 28 came out on December 29th, 1959, while ADVENTURE COMICS 269 came out two days later, on December 31st, 1959. And that was Mr. Queen and Master Harper's last appearance in that comic book. They were kicked out of ADVENTURE but remained in WORLD'S FINEST, while Arthur Curry kept his ADVENTURE gig.

That last story in ADVENTURE 269 had Green Arrow and Speedy visiting the offices of All-Star Comics, Inc.

Things only got worse for Green Arrow after that (eventually losing his spot in WORLD'S FINEST), while Aquaman saw his career go on the upswing. Things stayed about the same for J'Onn J'Onzz (although when he went into HOUSE OF MYSTERY that was only 8 months a year). And that's how it went up until around 1968.

But I look at it this way. Batman and Martian Manhunter were under Jack Schiff. Superman and Aquaman were under Mort Weisinger. Flash and Green Lantern were under Julie Schwartz. And Wonder Woman was under Bob Kanigher. 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 7. If Bob Kanigher had another super-hero to add to the group, then for the sake of office harmony, he should have submitted one. But since Bob and Julie shared an office, Kanigher probably didn't mind--and he did co-create the Flash, after all.
    Sounds like GA was, at best, as popular as MM by the time the JLA was formed, so he lost out for whatever reason.

Sounds like GA was, at best, as popular as MM by the time the JLA was formed, so he lost out for whatever reason.
    ^^^Both characters show, it’s not easy being green.

Read something yesterday that made me laugh and wanted to share…:

With J’onn steadily being portrayed as a black man in his human identity (it supposedly started circa 2006 w. Phil Morris in Smallville),

does this mean the Justice League has always had a POC as a member, retroactively?
    Last edited by Riv86672; 11-03-2023 at 07:16 AM.

Retired

Every Friday, I'm reading one or two stories of John Jones, Manhunter from Mars, in the SHOWCASE PRESENTS volumes, and I just imagine that in between these stories, J'Onn is maintaining other identities around the world. With his super-powers it's very possible.

Likewise, there are several Superboy (Superman as a boy) stories, where Clark/Superboy is living in other towns and on other planets (just as he's functioning in other time periods)--which is why he's known the world over and through all time and space (kind of like the Doctor).

Maybe because Green Arrow back then was thought of more as just a Batman-clone, while at least J'onn as a Superman-clone would be adding more power to the team?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Maybe because Green Arrow back then was thought of more as just a Batman-clone, while at least J'onn as a Superman-clone would be adding more power to the team?
    That and the coolness of having a non-Earth-like alien on the team, too.

^^^Both characters show, it’s not easy being green.
    Unless you have a ring and lantern.

Unless you have a ring and lantern.
    ^^^And your name is Hal.

^^^And your name is Hal.
    Well, have any of the GLs really had it easy?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    What about G'nort?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    ^^^Well we were talking about popularity League status and starring in books and stuff, though.

Hal’s def. the favorite child. He even came back from the dead just to screw Kyle over!

Incredible Member

Yep,most have picked J'onn. But if I were going to make a cartoon with 7 members it would probably be Robin.
    Please help Eisner Award winning comic book writer Paul Jenkins and his family:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/please-he...7vlOjaJCkRwCIs

https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Wonder Woman is one of the big members on the JL based on lipservice only. She is treated like useless trash most of the time. So i would ask who is the real sixth big member first.