Boisterously Confused

Default It's Halloween Eve:DC's Best Offering To The Season Is...?

In all its history, what is DC's best Halloween story?

I’m sure there will be a lot of votes for The Long Halloween.

But I have to go with Justice League of America 103!

The Phantom Stranger leads the JLA on a fight against Felix Faust on Halloween night! Plus it’s an unofficial DC/MARVEL crossover “The Rutland Halloween Crossover”.

Hellblazer V1 issue 11, “New Castle: A taste of things to come”…:

As close to a Constantine origin story as we’d gotten at the time. It was like a twisted Scooby Doo episode, w. a bunch of teens getting in way over their heads, and quite creepy.

Hopefully this counts, but my choice would be...

The Long Halloween

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-30-2023 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

There must've been stories where heroes had to fight a baddie while wearing their Halloween costume, right? But I can't think of one... because that seems like a fun idea.

Retired

You'll find a few on here--

Rutland Night Out

Of those, I think the best for story and art is BATMAN 237 (December 1971)--"Night of the Reaper" by O'Neil, Adams and Giordano. Although, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 103 (December 1972)--"A Stranger Walks Among Us" by Wein, Dillin and Giordano--is quite a fun adventure; however, that one is part of a bigger unofficial crossover between Marvel and their Distinguished Competition (featuring Steve Englehart, Len Wein, Glynis Oliver Wein and Gerry Conway).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    You'll find a few on here--

Rutland Night Out

Of those, I think the best for story and art is BATMAN 237 (December 1971)--"Night of the Reaper" by O'Neil, Adams and Giordano. Although, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 103 (December 1972)--"A Stranger Walks Among Us" by Wein, Dillin and Giordano--is quite a fun adventure; however, that one is part of a bigger unofficial crossover between Marvel and their Distinguished Competition (featuring Steve Englehart, Len Wein, Glynis Oliver Wein and Gerry Conway).
    Good choice. When I think of comics and Halloween though, my mind always goes to JLA 103 and The Phantom Stranger. And that Nick Cardy cover...

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Good choice. When I think of comics and Halloween though, my mind always goes to JLA 103 and The Phantom Stranger. And that Nick Cardy cover...
    Len Wein missed an opportunity in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 103 (December 1972)--"A Stranger Walks Among Us." Len should have had his then wife, Glynis Oliver Wein, square off against Oliver Queen. It would have been a colourful contest (hee hee).

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The Long Halloween coz I haven't read the others...

There's also a New 52 annual story of Bruce sending Mad Hatter, Penguin and Scarecrow an anonymous letter inviting them to a "haunted house" so he can prank them

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The Long Halloween coz I haven't read the others...
    Ironic since others are one-issue stories and LONG HALLOWEEN is what, 12 issues? Funny thing is, I'm the opposite. I've read the shorter stories, but even though I bought every issue of LONG HALLOWEEN, I got behind in reading it and have never finished. I keep meaning to dig out my issues, but then I forget to do it. Whenever movies and T.V. shows make reference to characters from that series, I'm in the dark.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Ironic since others are one-issue stories and LONG HALLOWEEN is what, 12 issues? Funny thing is, I'm the opposite. I've read the shorter stories, but even though I bought every issue of LONG HALLOWEEN, I got behind in reading it and have never finished. I keep meaning to dig out my issues, but then I forget to do it. Whenever movies and T.V. shows make reference to characters from that series, I'm in the dark.
    Parts of Long Halloween ended up being adapted as Dark Knight (2008). If you find the time to read the LH issues and end up liking them ... the sequels are Dark Victory and When In Rome.