Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default X-Men #28 - Review/Spoilers

Ok, I did not see the Sunfire/Redroot story unfolding like this! Gobsmacked.
    Nice movement of the overall plot as well.

We open with Sunfire trudging through a dark forest surrounded by dead trees. He holds Redroot in the palm of his hand to check on her but she looks in very bad shape, shriveling. Cassara's art is haunting. He plunges her back into his chest to reconnect her to his own blood supply in hopes of keeping her alive. Narration tells us they're both dying.

As he grows weaker he makes a deal with a strange Otherworld creature being, having paid it to lead him to a path that will take him out of this area. The path is through the mouth of a giant strange fish. Yikes. He tells this creature, Sxixim, that he smells a trap. Sxixim says no doubt the path is perilous but that Sxixim honestly doesn't know where it leads. Sunfire climbs some stairs which are fish teeth? and enters the mouth. It is a frigid void and he walked for days, keeping Redroot close. Narration tells us he is lost and all strength has left his bones. He apologizes to Redroot, pulls her from his chest, and falls down onto the snow, blood pouring out and pooling all around him.

Shiro, weakly: I've failed you, my Arakkii sister. This is the end of things.

An approaching voice: What is an end, my child... if not a beginning. The last seed of Okkara needs but one thing to grow...

We see a large hand holding a red seed. It dips the seed into Shiro's blood.

The voice: ... mutant blood.

Shiro: Y-you.

The voice: The magic has led you right to my side once more.

OMG!!! What?!?! Literal goosebumps.

Title recap page and then the preview pages of Feilong complaining about Doom who has been flaunting five mutants. Feilong is being whiny about it and Stasis is like who cares, I'll take it up with Doom once I've received my blood transfusion from the Juggernaut. Firestar says from her time with the X-Men she learned they weren't concerned about the mutants of Latveria and pretty much ignored them. She's quietly slipping a flash drive into a computer as she speaks. Stasis wants to do the same and says Juggernaut tried to escape but was beaten up by Nimrod again. Firestar says if they do the transfusion today then she'll see them at the Gyrich prison in NY where Juggernaut is. She tells them she's going to convince Cyclops to stand trial and plead for leniency.

At the Gyrich prison, Angelica sneaks into the locker room and knocks out a female guard with the back of a gun. She puts on the guard's uniform and pokes her head into the operating room where they are preparing Juggernaut for the transfusion. She overhears one of the doctors say that as long as the IV bag is dripping into him, he'll remain knocked out. From the door, Angelica uses her powers to ignite the IV bag then quietly leaves, putting the stolen uniform back.

She enters Scott's cell and plays up for the cameras, taunting him and he calls her a traitor. Her words are harsh but her touch is gentle. She gets close to him, putting one hand on his arm. While she says, "Listen, pig" she taps on his arm using morse code to apologize for not having freed him yet and implores he not lose hope. She taps/tells him that she was planning on breaking him out today but had to pivot because Juggernaut was in need of escape more. Her voice tells him to take the deal and he responds, now playing up for the cameras too, "Go to hell! You're a disgrace, Angelica." Suddenly there's a loud RUMBLE and everything shakes. She over-dramatically exclaims "Oh, God! The Juggernaut!" She flys out of the room as Scott smiles, saying, "Give 'em hell, Cain."

She rushes to the scene and narration tells us the one thing she doesn't have to fake is losing to Juggernaut. He comes crashing through a wall and delays his escape to deal with the traitor suddenly in his sights. He tells Angelica that Orchis is gonna take her out when they're through with her. He lifts his giant boot and says, "Consider this mercy!" Before it comes crashing down on her she burns the bottom of his boot and he's like ow ow! Three Orchis goons approach and tell him to freeze. He knocks them out with a beautifully satisfying and massive punch. He picks Angelica up and says it's time for her die. She says she's honestly okay with that then says, "Now eat this!" as she drops a flash drive in his mouth. She gets really close to his ear and whispers, telling him not to swallow the drive, to get it to the X-Men and that she's still on the team but no time to explain. She tells him to go to the alley behind the old Hellfire Club and he'll be directed to where the X-Men are hiding. She also says she'll get Scott out or die trying (ugh!). She finally tells him to throw her down and make it look good. He slams her to the ground and runs. As she watches him escape, her body wracked with pain, her spirits are lifted for the first time in weeks.

Cut to the Morlock tunnels where Juggs is meeting with the X-Men. He relayed the story and gives Synch the drive who says he's glad to have Cain in the resistance. Plugging it into a laptop he and Talon start looking over the data which includes files on how to disarm the bomb under Cyclops. It also shows that Orchis detected a group of mutants that resisted Xavier when he compelled mutants through the gates. Synch says a road trip is in order. Kate volunteers and Everett tells her to take Kamala, which Kate isn't particularly happy about.

On the Bloom, Orchis' orbital platform, Moira, Nimrod and Omega Sentinel are grilling Firestar who is wearing a neck brace and an arm sling. They're questioning her about the coincidence of her visiting the Gyrich prison the same day Juggernaut escaped. Angelica calls them lazy and stupid, basically saying it should be obvious that Mystique is alive and snuck in. She said Raven must have used Pym Particles to get the collar off of Cain the first time and then impersonated one of the surgical staff to sabotage the IV. Moira is holding a dagger in front of her and Angelica, in a cool moment, swats it out of Moira's hand and tells her to get that blade out of her face unless she intends to use it. She exits the room, saying if they want to kill her she'll be in her bunk popping pain pills. Nimrod says he likes her. The three agree that they should have confirmed Mystique was dead but Moira says Angelica has outlived her usefulness. In the hallway just outside Angelica continues to walk away, crying from the pain in her arm.

Data page, memo from Stasis to all Orchis petals. He basically updates them on things, says the trial of Cyclops is going to be moved to Europe for logistical, societal and security reasons. Once found guilty they will proceed with their terminating resolution to the mutant problem. They're working with like-minded scientists who will be working on peer-reviewed papers proving Krakoa is an invasive species to earth. Oh no. He also notes that laws making prenatal genetic testing mandatory for the X-Gene are moving through state legislatures around the country and indeed the world. Finally he says that he wants to offer Angelica the chance to stay on earth if she agrees to having her X-gene removed. If she decides to leave the planet he doesn't want her included in any of their liquidation planning.

Having stowed away on a private jet, we see Kate and Kamala skydiving out of it. Kamala uses a parachute while Kate dives/phases into the ground. Kamala chute gets stuck in a tree, haha. She grows her legs so her feet touch the ground and she brings herself down.

A voice: Next time, try to land silently.

Kamala is like maybe we should talk about this later. She asks where they are, Germany? Austria? Logan is like why didn't you tell her, to Kate. Kate says she didn't even want Kamala with her to begin with. Kamala finds it hard to believe Kate really was ever a teacher and asks if she hates kids. She once again asks where they are, Austria? Switzerland?

A new voice: Some news, child...

He loves a dramatic entrance.

Great issue for Firestar! Loved her standing up to Moira like that. The interconnectivity of the Sunfire story across titles is blowing me away. And I was pleased to see Logan. I’ve missed him on a main team.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Hell yes! Just about to read this so skimmed your review, but wanted to see if Logan showed up this issue. He did, and if I'm being honest I've kind of missed the yellow and blue look. Looks great here drawn by Cassara... even if I do wish it was an updated version like his Astonishing costume or his Enemy of the State outfit rather than the classic look with the underoos on the outside of the pants.

Wouldn't have minded Cassara taking a stab at this one in comic form, if I'm being honest...

... bet he'd draw the $#!t out of it. Just ditch the sleeves.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Cassara's style is so incredible. His textured line work is remarkable and really elevates the tactile quality of the environment and surfaces (Doom's fur lining, the bark on the trees, the mossy coating, Logan's body hair, etc etc.)

Extraordinary Member

That Doom page is a great ending. Between it and that Apocalypse page at the beginning, Cassara gives these villains the respect they deserve.

Sounds like a better issue than the last few, can't wait to pick it up later. Thanks for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Cassara's style is so incredible. His textured line work is remarkable and really elevates the tactile quality of the environment and surfaces (Doom's fur lining, the bark on the trees, the mossy coating, Logan's body hair, etc etc.)
    It really is. I can't get enough of it. Feels like it continues to get better too.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    It really is. I can't get enough of it. Feels like it continues to get better too.
    Reminds me of old etching prints, but more whimsical?

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    That Doom page is a great ending. Between it and that Apocalypse page at the beginning, Cassara gives these villains the respect they deserve.

Sounds like a better issue than the last few, can't wait to pick it up later. Thanks for the review.
    Yeah this is a great issue. Duggan gave the Sunfire story enough space that it deserved then pivoted well to the regular plot. Firestar was really great this issue and there's fun dialogue between Logan, Kate, and Kamala.

Cassara is really a top-tier artist. This issue was beautiful, largely thanks to him. It's amazing how much more I enjoy Logan when he's only around the main books in small doses. I actually get excited to see him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Ok, I did not see the Sunfire/Redroot story unfolding like this! Gobsmacked.
    Nice movement of the overall plot as well.

We open with Sunfire trudging through a dark forest surrounded by dead trees. He holds Redroot in the palm of his hand to check on her but she looks in very bad shape, shriveling. Cassara's art is haunting. He plunges her back into his chest to reconnect her to his own blood supply in hopes of keeping her alive. Narration tells us they're both dying.

As he grows weaker he makes a deal with a strange Otherworld creature being, having paid it to lead him to a path that will take him out of this area. The path is through the mouth of a giant strange fish. Yikes. He tells this creature, Sxixim, that he smells a trap. Sxixim says no doubt the path is perilous but that Sxixim honestly doesn't know where it leads. Sunfire climbs some stairs which are fish teeth? and enters the mouth. It is a frigid void and he walked for days, keeping Redroot close. Narration tells us he is lost and all strength has left his bones. He apologizes to Redroot, pulls her from his chest, and falls down onto the snow, blood pouring out and pooling all around him.

Shiro, weakly: I've failed you, my Arakkii sister. This is the end of things.

An approaching voice: What is an end, my child... if not a beginning. The last seed of Okkara needs but one thing to grow...

We see a large hand holding a red seed. It dips the seed into Shiro's blood.

The voice: ... mutant blood.

Shiro: Y-you.

The voice: The magic has led you right to my side once more.

OMG!!! What?!?! Literal goosebumps.

Title recap page and then the preview pages of Feilong complaining about Doom who has been flaunting five mutants. Feilong is being whiny about it and Stasis is like who cares, I'll take it up with Doom once I've received my blood transfusion from the Juggernaut. Firestar says from her time with the X-Men she learned they weren't concerned about the mutants of Latveria and pretty much ignored them. She's quietly slipping a flash drive into a computer as she speaks. Stasis wants to do the same and says Juggernaut tried to escape but was beaten up by Nimrod again. Firestar says if they do the transfusion today then she'll see them at the Gyrich prison in NY where Juggernaut is. She tells them she's going to convince Cyclops to stand trial and plead for leniency.

At the Gyrich prison, Angelica sneaks into the locker room and knocks out a female guard with the back of a gun. She puts on the guard's uniform and pokes her head into the operating room where they are preparing Juggernaut for the transfusion. She overhears one of the doctors say that as long as the IV bag is dripping into him, he'll remain knocked out. From the door, Angelica uses her powers to ignite the IV bag then quietly leaves, putting the stolen uniform back.

She enters Scott's cell and plays up for the cameras, taunting him and he calls her a traitor. Her words are harsh but her touch is gentle. She gets close to him, putting one hand on his arm. While she says, "Listen, pig" she taps on his arm using morse code to apologize for not having freed him yet and implores he not lose hope. She taps/tells him that she was planning on breaking him out today but had to pivot because Juggernaut was in need of escape more. Her voice tells him to take the deal and he responds, now playing up for the cameras too, "Go to hell! You're a disgrace, Angelica." Suddenly there's a loud RUMBLE and everything shakes. She over-dramatically exclaims "Oh, God! The Juggernaut!" She flys out of the room as Scott smiles, saying, "Give 'em hell, Cain."

She rushes to the scene and narration tells us the one thing she doesn't have to fake is losing to Juggernaut. He comes crashing through a wall and delays his escape to deal with the traitor suddenly in his sights. He tells Angelica that Orchis is gonna take her out when they're through with her. He lifts his giant boot and says, "Consider this mercy!" Before it comes crashing down on her she burns the bottom of his boot and he's like ow ow! Three Orchis goons approach and tell him to freeze. He knocks them out with a beautifully satisfying and massive punch. He picks Angelica up and says it's time for her die. She says she's honestly okay with that then says, "Now eat this!" as she drops a flash drive in his mouth. She gets really close to his ear and whispers, telling him not to swallow the drive, to get it to the X-Men and that she's still on the team but no time to explain. She tells him to go to the alley behind the old Hellfire Club and he'll be directed to where the X-Men are hiding. She also says she'll get Scott out or die trying (ugh!). She finally tells him to throw her down and make it look good. He slams her to the ground and runs. As she watches him escape, her body wracked with pain, her spirits are lifted for the first time in weeks.

Cut to the Morlock tunnels where Juggs is meeting with the X-Men. He relayed the story and gives Synch the drive who says he's glad to have Cain in the resistance. Plugging it into a laptop he and Talon start looking over the data which includes files on how to disarm the bomb under Cyclops. It also shows that Orchis detected a group of mutants that resisted Xavier when he compelled mutants through the gates. Synch says a road trip is in order. Kate volunteers and Everett tells her to take Kamala, which Kate isn't particularly happy about.

On the Bloom, Orchis' orbital platform, Moira, Nimrod and Omega Sentinel are grilling Firestar who is wearing a neck brace and an arm sling. They're questioning her about the coincidence of her visiting the Gyrich prison the same day Juggernaut escaped. Angelica calls them lazy and stupid, basically saying it should be obvious that Mystique is alive and snuck in. She said Raven must have used Pym Particles to get the collar off of Cain the first time and then impersonated one of the surgical staff to sabotage the IV. Moira is holding a dagger in front of her and Angelica, in a cool moment, swats it out of Moira's hand and tells her to get that blade out of her face unless she intends to use it. She exits the room, saying if they want to kill her she'll be in her bunk popping pain pills. Nimrod says he likes her. The three agree that they should have confirmed Mystique was dead but Moira says Angelica has outlived her usefulness. In the hallway just outside Angelica continues to walk away, crying from the pain in her arm.

Data page, memo from Stasis to all Orchis petals. He basically updates them on things, says the trial of Cyclops is going to be moved to Europe for logistical, societal and security reasons. Once found guilty they will proceed with their terminating resolution to the mutant problem. They're working with like-minded scientists who will be working on peer-reviewed papers proving Krakoa is an invasive species to earth. Oh no. He also notes that laws making prenatal genetic testing mandatory for the X-Gene are moving through state legislatures around the country and indeed the world. Finally he says that he wants to offer Angelica the chance to stay on earth if she agrees to having her X-gene removed. If she decides to leave the planet he doesn't want her included in any of their liquidation planning.

Having stowed away on a private jet, we see Kate and Kamala skydiving out of it. Kamala uses a parachute while Kate dives/phases into the ground. Kamala chute gets stuck in a tree, haha. She grows her legs so her feet touch the ground and she brings herself down.

A voice: Next time, try to land silently.

Kamala is like maybe we should talk about this later. She asks where they are, Germany? Austria? Logan is like why didn't you tell her, to Kate. Kate says she didn't even want Kamala with her to begin with. Kamala finds it hard to believe Kate really was ever a teacher and asks if she hates kids. She once again asks where they are, Austria? Switzerland?

A new voice: Some news, child...

He loves a dramatic entrance.

Great issue for Firestar! Loved her standing up to Moira like that. The interconnectivity of the Sunfire story across titles is blowing me away. And I was pleased to see Logan. I’ve missed him on a main team.
    I'd love to be healed too '-'

Victor needs some visine.

Great issue, loved Firestar in this.

I'm guessing Sunfire may be the first recruit (that we know of) of The NEW X-Men.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

I had a feeling Apoc would be joined by Sunfire and Redroot.

I am so excited for X-Men Red even more now.

Good showing for Firestar but I'm getting sick of ORCHIS only because I think everything is happening too easy for them BUT I guess theyll get whats coming to them soon.

Also Stevil beating Scotts ass. Never. But it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Truly incredible. His Otherworld scenes were fantastic too. Shiro stepping into the mouth of the giant fish is wild. Give me an Otherworld book with Cassara on it.

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 8.57.18 AM.jpg

Why the hell would she parachute in with a big X-men logo?