Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Default Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Who has fond memories of this series? A real shame it's stuck in licensing hell. The X-Men Legends series that preceded it is also worth mentioning. To me the first one is still the best. Part 2 focused on civil war and part 3 was stuck as a switch exclusive. The first one also has a fairly big modding community to this day on PC.

I loved Ultimate Alliance. I never beat part q but I thought it was so cool to have a group of heroes like that. I played a little of two and beat part 3 on Switch.

Xmen Legends the first one was amazing. I remember beating it and having a great time with it. I wish they would port them over.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The Ultimate Alliance games were super fun. As far as the third one, I don't think I finished the Fantastic Four DLC, may have to dust it off.

And I would give my right arm for a remaster of the X-Men Legends games.

There's a third one!?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Can’t remember if I finished 3. I might have repurchased Zelda BOTW to do the Master Quest mode instead lol

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    There's a third one!?
    Yes. It is a Switch Exclusive. It is pretty fun. You battle Thanos and the Black Order.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

These games were my jam back in the day.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    Who has fond memories of this series? A real shame it's stuck in licensing hell. The X-Men Legends series that preceded it is also worth mentioning. To me the first one is still the best. Part 2 focused on civil war and part 3 was stuck as a switch exclusive. The first one also has a fairly big modding community to this day on PC.
    Ultimate Alliance 2, I appreciated for being a better version of the original Civil War event, in that it was a bit more balanced and ultimately had both sides come together against an enemy arguably created by or as a result of their quarrel over the Superhero (or Superhuman) Registration Act. Even better was that no matter which side "won," the outcome wasn't as bleak as how things turned out in the original comics, with a pro-registration victory resulting in reforms to make the SHRA less draconian and more humane and an anti-registration win resulting in the Act being outright repealed.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The third does not count. It's not canon to the first two and is filled with dumb MCU synergy and the worst of nuMarvel.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Extraordinary Member

I have most fond memories of the first one. The second one is the better technical game, and the fusion system was more fun that the ultimate attacks. But the first one had more fun story with better villains.

Played the third one with friends when it came out. That was a lot of fun. And it honestly has the best graphic design of the three. But there are also a lot of system changes I didn't care for. Too many normal enemy have stamina bars that need to be broken before you can beat them up properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    The third does not count. It's not canon to the first two and is filled with dumb MCU synergy and the worst of nuMarvel.
    Still part of the same franchise, and plays largely the same. It's a shame that they could continue the story from the first two. But it's not like that narrative was especially deep or intricate. And I imagine some weird and very specific legal rights issue prevented it.

I've never had a chance to play this series and I've just realized that they've been removed from sale on the Playstation Store

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Still part of the same franchise, and plays largely the same. It's a shame that they could continue the story from the first two. But it's not like that narrative was especially deep or intricate. And I imagine some weird and very specific legal rights issue prevented it.
    Disagree. The heavy synergy breaks it.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Disagree. The heavy synergy breaks it.
    We’re the first two games even connected though? Maybe kind of? They looked totally different and also were written different from what I recall

In fact, the third MUA is closer aesthetically to the first game than number 2, and is all the better for it imo

Number 2 got a bit caught up in itself trying to be a serious game about serious things, and it bogged it down so much, whereas at least 3 just focussed on being good fun while throwing in some pure comics stupidity. And yes, there is MCU synergy, but unavoidable when the popularity of your characters has changed over a decade later

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    We’re the first two games even connected though? Maybe kind of? They looked totally different and also were written different from what I recall

In fact, the third MUA is closer aesthetically to the first game than number 2, and is all the better for it imo

Number 2 got a bit caught up in itself trying to be a serious game about serious things, and it bogged it down so much, whereas at least 3 just focussed on being good fun while throwing in some pure comics stupidity. And yes, there is MCU synergy, but unavoidable when the popularity of your characters has changed over a decade later
    The second game had some lines that referenced the first game. Including one instance of NPC Thor explaining how they fended off the hinted Galactus attack from the end of the first game.

But yeah, 1 and 3 feel more in line with each other on an aesthetic than either does with 2. Overall, I think they all brought positive and negative aspects to the table.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

In an alternate universe there’s a MUA3 that would have been released in 2012 and would have adapted Secret Invasion, Dark Reign and Siege in the same way that 2 adapted Secret War and Civil War, and let you play as the heroes or their dark doubles. That would have been the 3 I would have loved to see (and it would have been well timed with the Avengers film that year).