Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • X-23/Wolverine

29 56.86%
  • Talon

22 43.14%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Thoughts on X-23/Wolverine v Talon

As the Krakoa era is "ending" I wonder what everyone's thoughts on the status of X-23/Wolverine v Talon. I'm not typically a fan of multiple versions of the same character especially when that character is already a clone/spin off. Do you think both will remain? Who do you prefer?

I lean towards Talon. I prefer a separate identity to Wolverine if Logan is around. And I'm a Synch fan.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

We may get a lot of neither responses to this thread. We would probably get a lot of neither votes if that had been an option as well, considering how disliked X-23/Wolverine's current portrayal is on this particular forum. This is the only forum that I fallow, so I don't know what other forums/social media responses are to how the character is being written in X-Force.

Ideally, I would like to see the younger X-23/Wolverine be written well, and not as she appears in X-Force. I get that X-23/Wolverine would probably be a bit unhappy about the idea that she may just be a clone of Talon, but in my opinion, she's completely regressed all the way back to X-23's early personality, and for the most part I'd say that it has been for the worst. I'd prefer that she receive a different codename. For some reason writers seem to be of the idea that a Laura Kinney called Wolverine should act like Logan. I would stay away from Talon also. She needs her own identity separate from Vault Laura That and I'm afraid that Marvel doesn't have the right to publish a comic called Talon. I think that DC does. I think that Marvel may come up with a comic name like Laura Kinney: X-23. I would hope for something better, but that's where I think Marvel may be going. These are obviously just my opinions.
    I am still voting for X-23/Wolverine. She has the most potential to be written like real Laura.

Despite voting for X-23/Wolverine, I don't mind Talon. I like her romance with Sync. I just wish that we had gotten a little more backstory on Synch and Talon's time together in the Vault. I'm one of those who believe that Talon will be revealed as a mole for the Children of the Vault, leaving Synch emotionally hurt and having to move on without her. I'm starting to get a little worried that marvel may go in a different direction though.

But regardless, X-23/Wolverine gets my vote. I prefer a more classic, younger version of the character.
    Last edited by Thievery; 11-02-2023 at 10:37 PM.

BANNED

Making X-23 keep the Wolverine identity didn't make any sense. One of the dumb things about this era.

Another dumb thing? Bringing back the younge Cable duplicate and writing it like it's a 9 year old. Dumb.

Another dumb thing? Duplicating Laura. What did doing that add besides clutter?

X-Men writers are too cut from the same cloth. I hope we get a couple of writers who dislike alternate reality and clone duplicates for a change-up.

Honey Badger.

I'd prefer keeping both, but if I had to pick, Talon.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Having the both of them running around is just stupid. Talon should be killed off because she has that gray streak in her hair, which I'm totally biased against. With that said, Talon is "the real Laura" to me, Wolverine just looks more like the real Laura. Ideally they would kill Talon off and have her memories transferred into Wolverine's body to make the character whole again.

Also, in before "I prefer Wolverine because she isn't sleeping with a Black man."

Laura is the default version of the character. The one that Marvel will always default back to. Talon's future is only viable if she can establish herself as her own character.

I hope Duggan has a story planned out for Talon. One that he will execute.

BANNED

The entire Krakoa era has been a disaster for her, all the way from the start with Fallen Angels.

She has been badly written, not understood by the writers, and poorly utilized. The only real bright spot was X-Terminators, and even Deadly Regenesis the best you could say about it is that Laura was passably written (which sadly "passable" is STILL better than the majority of her writing during Krakoa) since it ultimately ended up doing nothing to advance her character or story, and even the chance to create a new nemesis for her fell flat (to be fair, Laura trying to make things right with adversaries she wronged is completely in-character for her. See also: Orphans of X). And of course the crap with the Vault happened, taking her off the board entirely for a year, exacerbated by Covid delaying release.

Hickman committed the cardinal sin of telling, not showing during the Vault arc. Things were just declared to be without actually showing us the evolution of her character. As a result, Talon is so far removed from who Laura is that she may as well be an entirely different character. If you could even call her a character at all. From the moment Forge dragged her ass out of the Vault she's been nothing but a shiny trinket hanging on Synch's neck, with no real story of her own. She hasn't interacted with any of her family on panel. She's hardly interacted with anyone that isn't Synch. Duggan even spent an entire issue basically telling us that the implications of having two Laura's running around would not be addressed. And while some people have commented that Talon is written closer to what Laura should sound like, they conveniently forget that Duggan made it something she had to mature into when it should have been how she was written from the start! He does not deserve credit for that.

The sooner all of this crap is over the better. The only way to salvage any of this is to reveal Talon is a mole for the Children of the Vault and hard reset all of this garbage.

Kill them both and merge them for resurrection.

Unless that's officially over.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Laura is the default version of the character. The one that Marvel will always default back to.
    Yep. Same with adult Cable versus the Kid.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Well, Laura/X-23 is my favorite character. And if you have one, I guess, just like me, you would hate, if writer took your favorite character, gave her hundreds of years off panel adventures/experiences, relationship and was like: here, she's your fave and she is a real one, the other is just a copy so be happy.
    Want to guess how Storm fans would react to such thing if it happened to Ororo? Or like with Laura in issue 5 of X-Men, if her claustrophobia was ignored, but she needed to urgently speak with her not-love-interest?

I'm of course team Wolverine/X-23/Laura that is not just a girlfriend. While I'm not happy with way she is written in X-Force currently (too much like Logan on pms) and I hated how Duggan wrote her, I loved Captain Marvel arc with her and X-Terminators, which for me was the best comics since like forever.
    I just want Laura to be herself, not someones prop and plot-point for other character.

As for Talon. I could say in case of character she might be better written as a stoic person... but that's because she's almost not written at all. She kisses Synch, tells her clone to **** off (you know, the woman who literary adopted her younger clone as her sister), spends time with Synch, supports Synch, is somehow chosen to next X-Men team, helps Synch, and currently is in resistance with Synch. I'm not sure how many panels does she have without him, but I'm not masochistic enough to look at this series.
    I get that, if people didn't/don't really care for Laura before, could be enjoying her new relationship. But if you're a fan of someone for so many years and see her reduced to be just +1 is simply awful.

The second thing about this relationship is what Craig Kyle twitted in 2018, that Laura was always supposed to be a lesbian. While it's not in-comics canon, it's enough for me to feel bad seeing her in relationship with man.

I get it (Wolverine sells) BUT also I want her to have her own thing and I like the name Talon.

You know they've barely done anything with Synch since Talon got back either; a lot of things have been happening and they really haven't really been the focus.
    So it feels little reductive that everyone keeps dismissing her a his plus 1, when they really haven't had the panel space for any real exploration of their dynamic, or her character.
    It's like prejudging a schrödinger box, just because they're taking their sweet time to open it.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 11-03-2023 at 07:47 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I get it (Wolverine sells) BUT also I want her to have her own thing and I like the name Talon.
    I dig it too. But OG (young woman) Laura could take that codename. Perhaps to honor Talon if/when she leaves the book (or dies)? Because we all know she won’t be around forever.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I hope Duggan has a story planned out for Talon. One that he will execute.
    I hope that he will execute Talon.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.