Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shōgun

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    How is no one talking about this show? It's freaking amazing!
    I agree, it's a work of art.

But really, what is there to discuss? As historical fiction, we know the shape of things. No English dragons are going to hatch and wipe out some ninja clan :P

It's a quality production, but I was worried when I read an interview with the lead actress where it said that her character had been altered to make her more sympathetic to modern audiences, that the changes might affect the dynamics between her and Blackthorne, and yeah, those romantic beats are totally screwed. Blackthorne is now an arrogant fool, and it's cut out or downplayed the things that make him likeable. I get being wary of having a straight white lead in something set in Japan, but if you don't like him or want to tell his story, why are you making Clavell's Shogun? The political plotlines are largely historical, you could make your own drama set during those times without messing with an existing work.

I'm enjoying it and I shall keep watching, but ugh, I hate it when adaptations screw major characters over.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    It's a quality production, but I was worried when I read an interview with the lead actress where it said that her character had been altered to make her more sympathetic to modern audiences, that the changes might affect the dynamics between her and Blackthorne, and yeah, those romantic beats are totally screwed. Blackthorne is now an arrogant fool, and it's cut out or downplayed the things that make him likeable. I get being wary of having a straight white lead in something set in Japan, but if you don't like him or want to tell his story, why are you making Clavell's Shogun? The political plotlines are largely historical, you could make your own drama set during those times without messing with an existing work.

I'm enjoying it and I shall keep watching, but ugh, I hate it when adaptations screw major characters over.
    I'm also reading the book for the first time while watching the show. Currently, I'm about 400 pages in, which takes you through episode 3 in the show. I'm curious as to why you think Blackthorne is depicted differently? I still find him very likeable in the show and I do think there is a fair amount of arrogance as he is a "pilot", but I do not find the portrayal in the show to be far off from the book thus far.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post

I have not read Clavell's novel; I did see the Chamberlain series way back when. If Blackthorne is being cast as an arrogant fool in this interpretation, I don't think he's coming off much worse than many of those around him. Even Lord Toranaga seems unable to look much past his own machinations, to say nothing of the rest of the Council of Regents, and - especially - the treacherous, insecure and grasping Yabushige.

Boisterously Confused

Toranaga's son was a fool from beginning to end.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Toranaga's son was a fool from beginning to end.
    Which one? As someone who is about to start watching, I was wondering if Sudara is also in this adaptation (Sudara is even MORE dangerous than his father in the books) but Naga is a fool who Toranaga eventually realizes will never grow past his limits. "I have fanatics enough"
    Dark does not mean deep.