Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

And another suicide~
    King really cannot help himself.

I mean sure just in the context of the story its dramatic, establishing the villain making someone take their own life out of false despair.
    But im having trouble separating it from the fact that it is Kings favoritest trope and he will try to shoe horn a suicide in so bad to the point that im just rolling my eyes.

Also I confess im not that impressed by Soveriegn so far. Like, sure, you have a magic lasso that can make people believe any lie you tell them. But so far this still comes off as an olde rambly dude who lacks near the threat of the Duke of Deception or Doctor Psycho. The latter of which casually has dozens of people jump off buildings and such at a time.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

I don’t personally picture Diana’s invisible plane looking like a US fighter aircraft with 2 gatling guns mounted on the wings but Sampere probably just drew a random aircraft from google. In fact, if you google-search “jet front view”, this is the first image result you get. It’s a Lockheed Martin F35, except the guns are built into the wings

They also made it seem like WW can telepathically control the tiara which I don’t like

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm guessing she still has the ability to mentally command the jet. Or was that Steve flying it?
    Reading Diana's comments in #3 on how she actually feels about Steve and the disdainful tone she has for his actions and personality both, I doubt Steve will be flying the jet any time soon. From being called _@&@#&@ in #2 by Steele to his own ex lover having no respect for him, Steve is having a hard time in this run

I am not sure if the damage is irreparable, but this was a new low in their saga

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    I don’t personally picture Diana’s invisible plane looking like a US fighter aircraft with 2 gatling guns mounted on the wings but Sampere probably just drew a random aircraft from google. In fact, if you google-search “jet front view”, this is the first image result you get. It’s a Lockheed Martin F35, except the guns are built into the wings

They also made it seem like WW can telepathically control the tiara which I don’t like
    This issue made me wonder about the jet's origin post Rebirth. I couldn't remember beyond the cameo where the Amazons made Steve's plane invisible when Diana brought him back to the states. There's a different one in Superman/Wonder Woman that Hephaestus created and its missiles took out General Zod.

INVISIBLE NEW 52 wonder-womans-invisible-chariotnew-52-2.jpg

It was destroyed when Leviathan attacked A.R.G.U.S. and was remade by Natasha Irons. Because it designed by a god and revamped by an American mechanical genius there's no telling what its capabilities are, so I'm fine with gatling guns.

INVISIBLE WW 82 REBIRTH.jpg

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Donpayne View Post
    Reading Diana's comments in #3 on how she actually feels about Steve and the disdainful tone she has for his actions and personality both, I doubt Steve will be flying the jet any time soon. From being called _@&@#&@ in #2 by Steele to his own ex lover having no respect for him, Steve is having a hard time in this run

I am not sure if the damage is irreparable, but this was a new low in their saga
    Tom King has no idea how to write a strong female character without making her completely unlikable.

He is basically doing a bad parody of what internet trolls think a feminist is.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    And another suicide~
    King really cannot help himself.

I mean sure just in the context of the story its dramatic, establishing the villain making someone take their own life out of false despair.
    But im having trouble separating it from the fact that it is Kings favoritest trope and he will try to shoe horn a suicide in so bad to the point that im just rolling my eyes.

Also I confess im not that impressed by Soveriegn so far. Like, sure, you have a magic lasso that can make people believe any lie you tell them. But so far this still comes off as an olde rambly dude who lacks near the threat of the Duke of Deception or Doctor Psycho. The latter of which casually has dozens of people jump off buildings and such at a time.
    Tom King essentially has only one story to tell and he's been doing it again and again for the past 5-6 years.

Hope he tries something new in the future instead of relying on cliches and tropes.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    Tom King has no idea how to write a strong female character without making her completely unlikable.

I see absolutely nothing about Diana here that makes her "completely unlikable".

The most is that she's acting smug against Sarge Steel but considering what a tremendous douchebag he is, its very deserved.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Supergirl and Ruthye beg to differ

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I see absolutely nothing about Diana here that makes her "completely unlikable".

The most is that she's acting smug against Sarge Steel but considering what a tremendous douchebag he is, its very deserved.
    The way she talks about Steve in this issue is a little unlikeable (or has potential to be if it goes further), but otherwise I have no issue with how she's been characterized so far.

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    I don’t personally picture Diana’s invisible plane looking like a US fighter aircraft with 2 gatling guns mounted on the wings but Sampere probably just drew a random aircraft from google.
    What are you talking about? That's the first thing I think of when I see the words "Wonder Woman: Emissary of Peace." Big ole military fighter jets with destructive firepower. Yay for Diana, the badass warrior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv8WBCHY2sk

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    What are you talking about? That's the first thing I think of when I see the words "Wonder Woman: Emissary of Peace." Big ole military fighter jets with destructive firepower. Yay for Diana, the badass warrior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv8WBCHY2sk
    What would be the point of having the Invisible Jet appear outside the window if it DIDN'T have guns? There's no subtle threat implied otherwise, therefore no reason for the scene.

There was barely any action this issue anyway, but it seems like you want to also remove its potential, in order to have Wonder Woman presented as non-violent as possible.

The book is boring enough as it is.

I personally feel that King's Diana is not necessarily unlikable, but in his writing of the character, I do detect certain leanings toward a 'harder' version of Diana.There are certain character beats and plot moments that make me go 'ugh, who is this woman? This is not Diana!" (although I am enjoying the intrigue of the plot and latest developments of the story). I don't disagree with your assessment of how WW sometimes feels in this run like what an internet troll would consider a feminist though. It's so weird that I am enjoying mostly everything about this run, except for the depiction of Diana herself. I still have a lingering feeling that King's use of The Sovereign as narrator will be revealed as the book's way of presenting Diana to us, the readers, as a slightly distorted version of Diana. And I still feel that he will end up being the Duke of Deception. We'll see.

Alright, I read the first 3 chapters of Tom Kings run (which is also apparently a new Volume of the Wonder Woman comic ).

> if you are going to have swear words in a comic, have actual swear words or don't use them at all. If you want to call Wonder Woman a c-slur, call her one
    > this comic doesn't read like an 'in canon' story so far, in fact, reminds me of Grant Morison's Earth 1 trilogy
    > Wonder Woman has a daughter now?
    > They are doing Amazon's Attack again?
    > I don't really want to read a Wonder Woman story about colonialism and I don't think most people will. There is already a 0% chance this still will ever be adapted
    > I'm not a fan of background characters being killed so easily, even if they are not named. I always especially hate when amazons are treated as disposable soldiers too. I've read Tom King's other work (Omega Men, Mr. Miracle, etc) and he does this a lot

So far, this is Tom King's his least impressive work in my opinion. I was desperately hoping for a Wonder Woman comic that is more adventurous and we haven't gotten a good WW story in so long (I haven't read everything though). Stories like this work best when supplemented with traditional story telling (such as an Elseworlds book). You don't like WW in a post-apocalyptic setting? Well, it isn't canon, but with this one...
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

The way she is being condescending and dismissive towards Steve? The way she yawns in the middle of a battle? The way she says she will drop a tank on their "pathetic little heads"?

This is not the Diana I knew. This is a generic female warrior archetype that Tom King is using to tell the story he wants, previous characterization be damned.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Supergirl and Ruthye beg to differ

The way she talks about Steve in this issue is a little unlikeable (or has potential to be if it goes further), but otherwise I have no issue with how she's been characterized so far.
    Supergirl was pretty bland in WOT, she was just an empty shell so Tom King can remake True Grit in comic book form.

Ruthye was incredibly boring with her long winded narration, saying 100 words when 10 words would suffice.

So not exactly any winning examples.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I personally feel that King's Diana is not necessarily unlikable, but in his writing of the character, I do detect certain leanings toward a 'harder' version of Diana.There are certain character beats and plot moments that make me go 'ugh, who is this woman? This is not Diana!" (although I am enjoying the intrigue of the plot and latest developments of the story). I don't disagree with your assessment of how WW sometimes feels in this run like what an internet troll would consider a feminist though. It's so weird that I am enjoying mostly everything about this run, except for the depiction of Diana herself. I still have a lingering feeling that King's use of The Sovereign as narrator will be revealed as the book's way of presenting Diana to us, the readers, as a slightly distorted version of Diana. And I still feel that he will end up being the Duke of Deception. We'll see.
    King has spoken about the difficulties he had understanding Diana as a character, so I have hope that maybe he will improve her characterization as he continues to write her.