Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Wait, Tom King wrote that Supergirl comic book that is being adapted into a movie? Is Tom King the only good writer still left in comics?? I'm genuinely asking, is he all we have left at this point!!?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    The way she is being condescending and dismissive towards Steve? The way she yawns in the middle of a battle? The way she says she will drop a tank on their "pathetic little heads"?

This is not the Diana I knew. This is a generic female warrior archetype that Tom King is using to tell the story he wants, previous characterization be damned.
    I concur 100 %. The "pathetic little heads" moment, the invisible plane looking like a military plane with gatlin guns moment, the dragging a man with her lasso by the neck...all those isolated moments feel like King desperately trying to make her appear badass, in that shallow, empty-headed "badass" way that so many male creatives (from comics and movies) have shoehorned into Wonder Woman. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I concur 100 %. The "pathetic little heads" moment, the invisible plane looking like a military plane with gatlin guns moment, the dragging a man with her lasso by the neck...all those isolated moments feel like King desperately trying to make her appear badass, in that shallow, empty-headed "badass" way that so many male creatives (from comics and movies) have shoehorned into Wonder Woman. Just my opinion.
    Well, well, well...hold on there. Wonder Woman is well know for all sorts of neck related fatalities and shenanigans....

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Alright, I read the first 3 chapters of Tom Kings run (which is also apparently a new Volume of the Wonder Woman comic ).

> if you are going to have swear words in a comic, have actual swear words or don't use them at all. If you want to call Wonder Woman a c-slur, call her one

> I'm not a fan of background characters being killed so easily, even if they are not named. I always especially hate when amazons are treated as disposable soldiers too.
    Strangely, I agree.

I don't really want to read a Wonder Woman story about colonialism and I don't think most people will.
    The sales and critical reviews suggest otherwise.

There is already a 0% chance this still will ever be adapted
    Even if that were true, most Wonder Woman stories haven't been adapted.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

if you are going to have swear words in a comic, have actual swear words or don't use them at all. If you want to call Wonder Woman a c-slur, call her one
    It wouldn't be published in a main line comic if they were uncensored, and the misogynistic slurs are pretty fitting with the anti-patriarchal themes of this run. It's not like the censorship prevents people from knowing what Steel is saying, so what's the difference?

I don't really want to read a Wonder Woman story about colonialism and I don't think most people will.
    I think most people would. It gives the WW comic a heavy topic that generates discussion, and these are the topics she was created to tackle.

There is already a 0% chance this still will ever be adapted
    Considering King is working with Gunn, its definitely not 0%

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It wouldn't be published in a main line comic if they were uncensored, and the misogynistic slurs are pretty fitting with the anti-patriarchal themes of this run. It's not like the censorship prevents people from knowing what Steel is saying, so what's the difference?
    For me its a tone issue. Most of the time, you see things like '&@$%' as a joke, so, when its placed in the context of a serious story line...it just looks off. Also I'm pretty sure both the b-word and c-word are used in the story, so it becomes a bit of a pass pace breaker when you have to count the digits.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think most people would. It gives the WW comic a heavy topic that generates discussion, and these are the topics she was created to tackle.
    Which is fine if it were an Elseworld story, but if King wants to write Wonder Woman's "Joker" I have a hard time believing this story and character are going to gain broader traction for appearing 'anti-American'.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm not privy to the sales numbers, but its a comic book published in 2023, it can't be that high

Well, well, well...hold on there. Wonder Woman is well know for all sorts of neck related fatalities and shenanigans....
    LOL That still doesn't excuse when all these "hot" writers fail to capture Diana's voice.

Fantastic Member

Wait, Tom King wrote that Supergirl comic book that is being adapted into a movie? Is Tom King the only good writer still left in comics?? I'm genuinely asking, is he all we have left at this point!!?
    He probably has very good connections. It is useful to have influential friends like Gunn.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Strangely, I agree.

Even if that were true, most Wonder Woman stories haven't been adapted.
    The sales have been fairly middling. WW was being outsold by lots of lesser known characters. This run isn't the success everyone thought it would be.

I don't think we should care about critical acclaim because that's pretty easy to get in the industry as long as you tackle certain themes in a heavy handed way.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

The sales have been fairly middling. WW was being outsold by lots of lesser known characters. This run isn't the success everyone thought it would be.

I don't think we should care about critical acclaim because that's pretty easy to get in the industry as long as you tackle certain themes in a heavy handed way.
    If I had to choose who has an actual idea on how how well this series is doing, the people actually working on this book or you.

I'd pick the people working on this book, always, all the time.

Maybe its me, but I like a slow burn and proper build up. I got sick and tired of the previous run just dropping a new thing in her world, do nothing with it, leave it there for no purpose even after the fact, and have a ton of loose ends that they didn't even bother to close. Yes, I would like Diana to start fighting heavier hitters, but if King is gonna be on the book this long, I'll be fine with seeing how things go. I really want to give King the benefit of the doubt, the man JUST started his run which he aims to do over 80 issues, can we actually see where this goes? If it ends up being a dud then I'll join in on the call out. If not, that be great. Sorry not sorry, but besides the King-isms, its already being better written narratively and structurally than anything else in the past year or so. We has a sweet set up, Diana is back doing politics, she's active, she's a warrior and a diplomat, there is intrigue and I'm actually enjoying getting this book again. Sorry, some of y'all aren't getting those brownie cameos of golden age stuff so you can point at it and say "look it's that thing from decades ago". I don't need that.

I don't need the old geezer to put up fisticuffs with Diana, I want him to put his rich mouth to work and send more powerful people at her. I think this guy is a genuine monster. Like, holy crap, I'm sitting here reading a Wonder Woman book with a proper evil villain that actually is built up, no redemption, no sob story, none of that, just a straight up manipulative monster. Could it have been Psycho? No, I don't think so, not really, his origin wouldn't have allowed it. Sovreign needed to be new. Something that would make sence given his control over the US and its history. Psycho is an aspect of it, Sovreign is the origin point, least for America, at this point.

I choose to not care about Izzie, red herring or not. She's not the devil risen from hell to me. I think she might have some potential; I don't like her with the super-sons, I don't really like her costume, and I want her "I'm the best at everything" attitude to shift a bit. But hey, she's very very new. I wish she was more active in her backups, no super-sons, just her and Sovreign talking back and fourth to each other. Maybe she's not that smart and breaks him out, thinking she can handle it, and so she's continuously fight off threats while trying to protect this guy whose refusing to tell her the full story up front.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    If I had to choose who has an actual idea on how how well this series is doing, the people actually working on this book or you.

I'd pick the people working on this book, always, all the time.
    Tbh the people working on the series have a vested interest in hyping up this book as selling well so more people might check it out.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Maybe its me, but I like a slow burn and proper build up. I got sick and tired of the previous run just dropping a new thing in her world, do nothing with it, leave it there for no purpose even after the fact, and have a ton of loose ends that they didn't even bother to close. Yes, I would like Diana to start fighting heavier hitters, but if King is gonna be on the book this long, I'll be fine with seeing how things go. I really want to give King the benefit of the doubt, the man JUST started his run which he aims to do over 80 issues, can we actually see where this goes? If it ends up being a dud then I'll join in on the call out. If not, that be great. Sorry not sorry, but besides the King-isms, its already being better written narratively and structurally than anything else in the past year or so. We has a sweet set up, Diana is back doing politics, she's active, she's a warrior and a diplomat, there is intrigue and I'm actually enjoying getting this book again. Sorry, some of y'all aren't getting those brownie cameos of golden age stuff so you can point at it and say "look it's that thing from decades ago". I don't need that.
    I agree with most of your points, but I feel this story so far is playing it very safe with politics, which is something I expected from Tom King.

The misogynists are all mustache twirling evil men who always underestimate the strong woman. It downplays the casual misogyny from common people who condescend on women without even thinking twice about it.

Plus, making all the problems the works of an old geezer just seems dated and bland. I would have liked it if the face of the misogyny was changed to reflect the changing times, since now we have young, hip misogynists poisoning the minds of the youth. Not to mention the fact that immigration was not a concept which really work well in Diana's lore and so King had to change things drastically to fit the story he wanted in a Wonder Woman book.
    Last edited by Laser_Man; 11-24-2023 at 07:43 AM.

On thinking about it more, the book really does just remind me more and more of Grant Morrison's Earth 2, right up to a villain with mind control powers...

I'll keep reading it obviously, but I'm not sure if this is the Wonder Woman story a lot of us wanted at the moment.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I agree with most of your points, but I feel this story so far is playing it very safe with politics, which is something I expected from Tom King.
    I wouldn't say the story taking the stance of "all presidents are evil" is playing it safe politically.

The misogynists are all mustache twirling evil men who always underestimate the strong woman. It downplays the casual misogyny from common people who condescend on women without even thinking twice about it.

Plus, making all the problems the works of an old geezer just seems dated and bland.
    The misogynists irl end up comic across as maniacal cartoon villains, Steel and the Sovereign almost seem subdued compared to what we are dealing with in reality.

An old geezer being the villain isn't dated at all, it actually seems pretty current.