Default Wonder Woman #3 Preview

Wonder Woman #3 Preview (Unlettered)
    Writer: Tom King
    Artist: Daniel Sampere
    Backup Writer: Tom King
    Backup Artist: Belen Ortega

That's a nice Evely variant.

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

The art is incredible, got to meet him, Daniel Sampere, at NYCC 2023, great guy.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, really great art on WW -- long overdue. She's had good artists in the past, but can't recall the last time I thought the art was worthy of the title. Also -- love that MOD Diana Prince cover. Would love for Wondy to use Diana Prince as her secret identity -- and always dress in white.

Oh my god, finally, a good artist on WW that stays for more than 4 consecutive numbers, I must be fuckin dreamin

Fantastic Member

The art is amazing but I am seriously concerned about the pace of the story. 3 issues in and Diana is still stomping generic soldiers, the same thing which went down in the last 2 issues.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem for me if this was shaping up to be a character-focused story but they haven't even properly shown Diana's perspective. All that has happened is some setup and the mysterious main villain waxing lyrical about Diana in the narration. But because we haven't really gotten any real insight about Diana, all that falls flat.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I like how playful and casual she's acting here.

Thats how you style over the US government.

Incredible Member

I am going to have to buy that Todesco variant - so fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I like how playful and casual she's acting here.

Thats how you style over the US government.
    Although it still kind of makes her feel oddly detached.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    The art is amazing but I am seriously concerned about the pace of the story. 3 issues in and Diana is still stomping generic soldiers, the same thing which went down in the last 2 issues.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem for me if this was shaping up to be a character-focused story but they haven't even properly shown Diana's perspective. All that has happened is some setup and the mysterious main villain waxing lyrical about Diana in the narration. But because we haven't really gotten any real insight about Diana, all that falls flat.
    I have a feeling that King's run will be remembered mainly for featuring Sampere's astoundingly gorgeous art.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post

Well, this is a closed-up story, so it seems Sovereign will be the narrator for the entire run. But we did get that on number 2? Or that's the closes we'll ever get, but it's not the first time Tom King does something like this. He already did it with Danger Street, Supergirl or the Joker B&B storyline. He just loves doing it.

And yes, she's fighting a lot of yankees... but this is a Wonder Woman vs USA story! Of course she's going to be punching yankee army (the 2nd biggest world villains in story only after the english) all the time. This is like Greg Rucka's biggest dream ever! (I thought this whole "Tom King is challenging the american dream" was clear with the "America's the world's greatest country" scene?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I have a feeling that King's run will be remembered mainly for featuring Sampere's astoundingly gorgeous art.

At this point, I guess I will take it. As long as we get a memorable Wonder Woman run.

But yes, I am not impressed by Tom King so far.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    And yes, she's fighting a lot of yankees... but this is a Wonder Woman vs USA story! Of course she's going to be punching yankee army (the 2nd biggest world villains in story only after the english) all the time. This is like Greg Rucka's biggest dream ever! (I thought this whole "Tom King is challenging the american dream" was clear with the "America's the world's greatest country" scene?
    Yes, I understand that. I appreciate what the story is trying to say, but surely they could throw something more challenging for Diana.

If they want to keep it grounded, then perhaps they should have posed more ideological obstacles for Diana, instead of throwing a dozen or so mooks at her in every issue.

Right now, its neither here nor there. The action is getting underwhelming and the story does not seem to pose any interesting questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    Well, this is a closed-up story, so it seems Sovereign will be the narrator for the entire run. But we did get that on number 2? Or that's the closes we'll ever get, but it's not the first time Tom King does something like this. He already did it with Danger Street, Supergirl or the Joker B&B storyline. He just loves doing it.

I get the comparison but Tom King is no Greg Rucka. Greg Rucka can tell a few jokes in the midst of his tight political thrillers.