Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Honestly, this issue and the last could easily fit into a single issue if we lose some of that pretentious monologing from Sovereign.
    We need to see more of Sovereign and less of his narration. What he did to that unfortunate soldier left an impression on me, but I wouldn't call him Joker or Lex Luthor level yet. In a weird way, this issue was about him. He's sort of interesting, claims his grudge against the Amazons was purely ideological but the way he talks to Lizzie makes it seem like the false flag operation was personal.

The plot twist is very interesting, assuming it isn't misdirection. The real question isn't the possibility of adoption, it's the identity of the baby's father.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He wouldn't be the first writer to write her without contractions though.
    And it was annoying when they did it. Precedence, however minor, is not a free pass.

I'm a little worried that Sovereign will end up as another personification of systematic corruption that can be "solved" with a punch in the face. But Damian accidentally teaching Lizzie swear words was hilarious and made my day

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I'm totally okay with Lizzie not being Diana's biological daughter. It'll make her easier to ignore and disappear into limbo along with Jason when this run is over.
    Brutal but not inaccurate. There’s a reason Jon stuck while Chris didn’t, and why Damian has only grown in importance while Tim has withered. Biological kids are given more interest and value than adopted ones, the new adopted kids like the Super-Twins and Trinity are unlikely to stick because of that. Which is why I expect King will do something that does bond Diana to Lizzie through blood (or magic or whatever) so it’s not just a case of Diana adopting Emelie’s kid.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Brutal but not inaccurate. There’s a reason Jon stuck while Chris didn’t, and why Damian has only grown in importance while Tim has withered. Biological kids are given more interest and value than adopted ones, the new adopted kids like the Super-Twins and Trinity are unlikely to stick because of that. Which is why I expect King will do something that does bond Diana to Lizzie through blood (or magic or whatever) so it’s not just a case of Diana adopting Emelie’s kid.
    I agree. She looks very much like Diana.

Perhaps there could be complications during Lizzie's birth and Diana does something to help save her. Either way I feel it's still a copout. If you're going to market her so hard as Diana's daughter, then let her be her actual daughter. As mentioned above, that would ensure or at least help her longevity going forward. Doing the adoption angle makes it seem like it's not going to last for long. I hope this wasn't a case where DC chickened out at the idea of Diana having a biological daughter and King had to change her origin accordingly.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

There probably will be a twist, the daughter being still-born or something but saved by Diana giving her life would be a unique mythological way of giving her a kid.

Curious if old Sovereign has any grand plans in mind as he's telling all this to Lizzie.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Perhaps there could be complications during Lizzie's birth and Diana does something to help save her. Either way I feel it's still a copout. If you're going to market her so hard as Diana's daughter, then let her be her actual daughter. As mentioned above, that would ensure or at least help her longevity going forward. Doing the adoption angle makes it seem like it's not going to last for long. I hope this wasn't a case where DC chickened out at the idea of Diana having a biological daughter and King had to change her origin accordingly.
    I think they weren't really prepared to properly execute a daughter character, especially the implications of it.

The only thing I liked about this issue was that the Invisible Jet has guns. Out of all of its surprise reveals, this was one of the best, but why didn't she use it last issue? Or maybe she did, but we couldn't see it?

I'm probably the biggest tiara fan on this board, but even I need to know how its boomerang action is working. It's NOT sentient. At least with Cap's shield you can kind of see the ricochet physics at play and suspend disbelief, but in the elevator scene the only explanation for the tiara blindly taking out that many soldiers, given the dialogue, is magic.

Although, it would be cool if there were some kind of trajectory adjusting, velocity regulating, infrared homing technology involved that the Amazons included in its design.

The Emelie being pregnant thing feels like a red herring just to keep things interesting. Lord knows something has to wake us up from several pages of the Sovereign's NyQuil text.

I didn't read the back-up because I couldn't care less.

I'm in agreement on the lack of contractions. It makes Diana sound less than smart, but it was nice that she sees how her enemies are monitoring her relationship with Steve. That means she's more self-aware and less naive than she's been portrayed in the past. That's a very small concession, because it still feels like we're kept on the outside looking in and guessing at her characterization.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I feel like the second issue and this one could have been combined.

Did Diana's attitude about Steve seem a little condescending to anyone else?

Why tf does the invisible plane have gatling guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I will say at least 3 issues in, Sovvy doesn't give me Lex/Joker vibes. Of course it's still VERY early but he's just a generic elderly man with a lasso
    I've accepted him as a Dr. Hurt type figure, which fits him better since he's the antagonist in the run that is introducing the WW franchise's equivalent to Damian.

This issue did make him effectively contemptible and scary, but the heavy subject of suicide/PTSD being used for shock value is a bit dicey.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 11-21-2023 at 04:02 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I feel like the second issue and this one could have been combined.

Did Diana's attitude about Steve seem a little condescending to anyone else?

Why tf does the invisible plane have gatling guns?

I've accepted him as a Dr. Hurt type figure, which fits him better since he's the antagonist in the run that is introducing the WW franchise's equivalent to Damian.

This issue did make him effectively contemptible and scary, but the heavy subject of suicide/PTSD being used for shock value is a bit dicey.
    Invisible Jet has guns because guns are the only language Sargent Steel understands.

King comes off as obsessed with suicide and trauma. In most of his comics there's always a character who: is implied to be suicidal, suicidally reckless or actually commits it.
    Last edited by king81992; 11-21-2023 at 04:10 PM.

I have a question about that backup story that I'm surprised no one has mentioned.

Why in the blue hell does Bruce have a painting of the Trinity hanging in his den? I mean, secret identity? Someone walks in, sees that, and maybe makes the leap that Bruce is Batman?

Astonishing Member

King is really obsessed with suicide. In most of his books there's always at least one character who's: implied to be thinking about suicide, suicidally reckless or actually commits it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I have a question about that backup story that I'm surprised no one has mentioned.

Why in the blue hell does Bruce have a painting of the Trinity hanging in his den? I mean, secret identity? Someone walks in, sees that, and maybe makes the leap that Bruce is Batman?
    It's just fanservice. The same way Dick's pajamas had Batman slapping Robin meme image on it, or him having Bat-Family group photo, or some **** like that. They just like to add some things that visually "acknowledges" who they really are.
    Last edited by Morgoth; 11-21-2023 at 04:27 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

The face to face what Sovy did to that soldier was pretty horrifying. It establishes pretty well how evil he is and his methodology on how he's going to go about this.

Though I do agree the narration is pretty overwrought. Someone could ask King on twitter to see if he can give an answer on how long Sovy will be narrating the issues.