Default Rama (The Raid) vs Inspector Ma (Flashpoint)

Rama from the Raid movies vs Yen's character in the movie Flash Point

Rama feats: 1, 2

Ma feats: 1, 2

Bonus: Both team up to fight Jason Bourne in an abandoned car factory with lots of tools around
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Flashpoint is one of my all-time favourite martial art movies, and Donnie Yen is awesome.

That said, The Raid 2 ups the ante considerable with regards to Rama’s nigh-superhuman abilities, and Ma is a character far more grounded in reality. Ma makes Rama work, but ultimately loses.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Ah, I thought because the Chou was doing some rather serious damage to the masonry with his attacks that he might confer a bit of durability/resilience to Ma. Well that and Ma gets some crap beaten out of him for a bit here as well.

How about the teamup against the king of "normal movie human" durability, Bourne
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Flashpoint is one of my all-time favourite martial art movies, and Donnie Yen is awesome.

That said, The Raid 2 ups the ante considerable with regards to Rama’s nigh-superhuman abilities, and Ma is a character far more grounded in reality. Ma makes Rama work, but ultimately loses.
    rama's gained the superpower of being stronger the more fucked up he is.

I was about to ask 'What if we include Inspector Ma's feats from Sha Po Lang?'

Upon closer inspection, While Donnie Yen does play an Inspector Ma in SPL, a police officer in pre-handover Hong Kong with an affinity for mixed martial arts who takes on gangsters, in a film directed by Wilson Yip, that was Ma Kwun.

Totally different guy from Flashpoint's Ma Jun, another distinguished police officer in pre-handover Hong Kong with an affinity for mixed martial arts who takes on gangsters.

Suffice it to say, I learned something today lol

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Amusing, that.

As for Ma’s durability, it’s good, but I still don’t feel he has the oomph to deal with Rama, and Rama can certainly hurt him. Ma will make a fight of it, but he’s against a guy who obliterates crowds, does magical knee-snaps, and beats up Hammer-girl and her boyfriend simultaneously (they gave feats of their own).

I like Ma a whole lot better, but he’s more realistic (not ‘realistic, but ‘more realistic’).

Mileage may vary, and will consider Bourne.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I'd concur that Rama takes down Ma. Rama has to work, and he'll feel it, but he's just, as alluded to by Sharp, less "realistic."

If the two were against Bourne in the Arena, unarmed, I'd say that they overwhelm him. But in an abandoned factory, full of improvised weapons for Bourne? He'll Batman-vanish on them or otherwise dictate the confrontations and kill them with a paperclip, a rolled up magazine and a paintbrush. The setting makes it too easy for him to go one-on-one, his mobility is as good or better than the other two (meaning he can keep it one-on-one), he has too much stealth and situational awareness and he's stupidly proficient in turning anything into a lethal weapon. That's enough advantages, for me, to give him the win more often than not.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan