View Poll Results: Which seminal 80s Spidey arc is superior?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kraven’s Last Hunt

24 85.71%
  • Death of Jean DeWolff

4 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Kraven’s Last Hunt VS Death of Jean DeWolff

Which one is better?

Why these two stories… I don’t know. When I was a kid, it seemed like if someone wanted to get you into contemporary Spidey (as opposed to the classic stuff) they’d either give you a TPB of one of these arcs. It was like they were both in competition to be regarded as Spidey’s Born Again. On most ‘best of…’ lists nowadays, they both usually rank in the top 5. So which one is better and why? (saying unrelated stories like ‘Death of Gwen’ or the Hobgoblin saga isn’t an option here…)
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 11-07-2023 at 06:08 AM.

I’m a big Dematteis fan, so Imma have to go with KLH. It went a lot more in depth with the characters, really exploring their psychology.

Astonishing Member

Kravens Last Hunt

But Jean DeWolff was also great.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Both are absolutely fantastic.

I’d give the edge to KLH just for what it did to Kravens character.

Fantastic Member

Hydrogen Bomb vs. Other smaller but still impressively large bomb.
    Death of Jean DeWolff is great, certainly, but KLH is one of the best Spidey stories of all time, ever.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

One thing I'll say about the Death of Jean Dewolff - I read it years after knowing about it and hearing it was dark. I was still utterly floored by the way it opens, and then how it slowly reveals the story to an increasingly furious Spidey.

I'll say KLH is better overall but, coupled with the sequel Return of the Sin-Eater, Death of Jean Dewolff is really strong stuff.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Both are absolutely fantastic.

I’d give the edge to KLH just for what it did to Kravens character.
    agree but too many diminishing returns to that story really hurts it for me.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    One thing I'll say about the Death of Jean Dewolff - I read it years after knowing about it and hearing it was dark. I was still utterly floored by the way it opens, and then how it slowly reveals the story to an increasingly furious Spidey.

I'll say KLH is better overall but, coupled with the sequel Return of the Sin-Eater, Death of Jean Dewolff is really strong stuff.
    Funny enough, The Death of Jean DeWolff TPB collects both of those arcs. Having gotten and read it myself years ago, I can definitely attest to that. And yeah, it was really harrowing to see Spider-Man pushed to the point of nearly committing murder out of sheer rage and grief; considering that the black suit he was wearing there was made of regular spandex, and not an alien symbiote, that meant his murderous rage at Sin-Eater was all him, no outside or external influence whatsoever on his mental state or judgment. Hell, he almost beat the hell --- pun somewhat intended --- out of Daredevil for trying to stop him, and even would have let Sin-Eater be killed by a vengeful mob of his victims' loved ones if not for Daredevil calling out his real name to shock him to his senses.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Both are great, but my heart stays with Kraven's Last Hunt. That story ROCKED me.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Respect to Death of Jean DeWolff but gotta go with KLH.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Definitely Kraven's Last Hunt.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

I don't think Death of Jean DeWolff can hold a candle to KLH. Now, mind, what I'm going to elaborate on are just my thoughts, but I think structurally, you already have KLH off at leaps and bounds of advantage. The story knows what it's doing in its six issues, so its themes play out to (possible) perfection and even panels are symmetric and bookended on each chapter they play out in. Hell, given how DeMatteis gestated over this particular story for years before it was finally written, maybe it's just unfair on the getgo to compare both.

But, more than that, I'd say that the content itself is also a mark against DeWolff's for me. It seemed symptomatic of the point of where comics had gotten to, where the more trauma you could pile on the character, the better - and KLH is also part of this, no doubt (I have much respect for KLH, but in my heart of hearts, it's darker than what I'd usually want Spider-Man to go). However, with DeWolff's it just seemed to evoke the usual paradigm of killing someone the main character knew for stakes. Last Hunt deals with death all the time and Kraven's suicide is no doubt a 'punchline' of sorts the story can't do without, but I think the thesis statement on it works better. Even with the "bad guy caught, silver lining" kind of thing in DeWolff, I felt it's kind of misery for the sake of misery (then again, to me the unbeaten champion of that particular chestnut is Priest's Spider-Man/Wolverine crossover). It's clearly not just that, but I feel it definitely edges a little close to it.

So, yeah, Last Hunt for me.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Exclamation

Kraven's Last Hunt is the one I prefer, I feel it is the superior story, however, I also love the Death of Jean DeWolff and feel it is a top-notch story. Both are grade A, IMHO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Definitely Jean DeWolff.

I do agree the fridging hurts The Death of Jean DeWolff. That said, it opens with details of Jean deWolff's life that I don't think Peter ever knew about - if you tell a story that fridges a character I suppose that's how you do it.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi