Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Clown girl being there at all is the problem.

But hey good to know Canary is fine paling with an unrepentant murderer to go behind DianaÂ’s back. Guess Taylor got that right about Canary in Injustice.
    If we're being fair, Diana should have disavowed all but a few Amazons after the original Amazons Attack, which is apparently still in canon. I have my issues with Harley and may never really accept her as a Bird of Prey but she's been consistently on the straight and narrow path for years now.

That said, I'm not exactly thrilled with this story's use of the Amazons thus far.

Harley Quinn will most likely be the BOP that saves the day in this storyline, won't she?

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Harley Quinn will most likely be the BOP that saves the day in this storyline, won't she?
    Well she’s the only one who actually has a lot to say…the others seem to have a speech problems.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Unless being an Amazon gives you magical anti-concussion powers, I don’t really get the big deal. Particularly when Birds got the likes of Cassandra Cain, Big Barda and Zealot on their side. But then again I find most power scaler arguments kind of fruitless, so it might just be me.

I mean, has there ever been a consistent depiction of how well an average Amazon fares against any given DC superhero?
    Depends on the DC hero we're talking about. DC hypes the Amazons up as the greatest metahuman warrior race in history, so them even being able to feel a blow delivered by a Bat-clan member, even Cass, is hard to believe. Dinah should be able to take some out with her cry specifically, and Barda and Zealot are also metahuman warriors who should be able to beat a few, but Harley is nonsense.

The one good thing Azzarello ever did with the Amazons was have them slaughter the evil invading Kryptonians in DK3. They may have been outmatched in raw power, but they were strong enough and had the home field advantage with magical weapons to win. It's bad when Azzarello respects their capabilities more than Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If we're being fair, Diana should have disavowed all but a few Amazons after the original Amazons Attack, which is apparently still in canon. I have my issues with Harley and may never really accept her as a Bird of Prey but she's been consistently on the straight and narrow path for years now.

That said, I'm not exactly thrilled with this story's use of the Amazons thus far.
    Important distinction though.

I'm not being fair, I don't like Harley and feel no need to entertain notions about how her being redeemed or how valuable a character she is. I just do not want her in books I read or interacting with characters I care about. And her taking out Amazons like it's nothing (and making dumb Marston jokes) is not helping Harley/BOP advocates' case.
    Last edited by Gaius; 11-10-2023 at 07:38 AM.

While I agree with some of the critics here that far too often the Amazons are used as canon fodder and dispatched far too easily by threats (Harley), I do like that the writer is putting Themyscira in the center of the story. In general, Themyscira isn't used enough unlike Metropolis and Gotham. If we're talking about a supernatural threat then, the island makes perfect sense, especially considering Dooms Doorway was recently opened. I liked Diana's characterization as being beloved but also. someone to fear if you get on her bad side. Something the Birds are definitely going to do by taking matters into their own hands.

The Marston joke didn't really bother me. I saw it was a cute nod to the past, something other writers wouldn't dare touch because of the controversial nature. I'm actually glad the writer dared to go there because, it means, nothing's off limits. For a reader and a fan, the concept that anything is on the table is exciting. I personally want to see where she goes with it.

I wouldn't mind the Marston joke if it wasn't being made by Harley at the Amazons expense.

If they need to address the bondage at all, I'd prefer if it was the Amazons themselves that did it in a fun way, rather than it being said about them by outsiders.

Personally, I'm tired of people pretending making "lol, early WW had a lot of bandage" jokes like their the first person to come across this revelation.

A thing that has been frequently noted in documentaries, books, websites, parodies, jokes by other writers in DC books, revisited seriously by other DC books like Earth One is a beyond dead joke or some forbidden knowledge. Hell, there's even a movie about this.

It's the "Batman and Robin are gay" joke but for WW.
    Last edited by Gaius; 11-10-2023 at 08:46 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Obviously. She is the chosen one.

Apart from Harley, only Canary has gotten something to do in the story. Cass, Barda and Zealot have been background characters.

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    While I agree with some of the critics here that far too often the Amazons are used as canon fodder and dispatched far too easily by threats (Harley), I do like that the writer is putting Themyscira in the center of the story. In general, Themyscira isn't used enough unlike Metropolis and Gotham. If we're talking about a supernatural threat then, the island makes perfect sense, especially considering Dooms Doorway was recently opened. I liked Diana's characterization as being beloved but also. someone to fear if you get on her bad side. Something the Birds are definitely going to do by taking matters into their own hands.

The Marston joke didn't really bother me. I saw it was a cute nod to the past, something other writers wouldn't dare touch because of the controversial nature. I'm actually glad the writer dared to go there because, it means, nothing's off limits. For a reader and a fan, the concept that anything is on the table is exciting. I personally want to see where she goes with it.
    I don't see why people get bent out of shape about it? Bondage is a part of Wonder Woman's history. Yes it's an unusual kink, that some of us don't get, but there's no need to run from it either.

I actually think there's a way to tastefully reincorporate BDSM into modern day Wonder Woman stories, through subtext, allegory, symbolism and attire. It's already subtly being done, and that's the key...subtlety.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't see why people get bent out of shape about it? Bondage is a part of Wonder Woman's history. Yes it's an unusual kink, that some of us don't get, but there's no need to run from it either.

I actually think there's a way to tastefully reincorporate BDSM into modern day Wonder Woman stories, through subtext, allegory, symbolism and attire. It's already subtly being done, and that's the key...subtlety.
    There was nothing subtle about Harley's joke. And yeah, we know bondage is a part of Wonder Woman's history because no one ever let's us forget it.

There was nothing subtle about Harley's joke. And yeah, we know bondage is a part of Wonder Woman's history because no one ever let's us forget it.
    Well, Harley isn't very subtle .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Harley isn't very subtle .
    Exactly! lol

What I meant was like how Diana wears a lot of leather skirts, pants and jackets (especially when drawn by Phil Jimenez) hot Ares looking like a Tom of Finland model, the Minotaur in the New 52 labyrinth, the designs of Paula von Gunther as Uberfraulein and Warmaster, the bondage elements of the Odyssey and biker costumes, stuff like that.

Harleys joke sucked because it was Harley saying it after defeating Amazons, so it comes across as it being at their expense.

As long as it's not at their expense, I don't see why there is a need to run away or dread the reminders.

Exactly! lol

What I meant was like how Diana wears a lot of leather skirts, pants and jackets (especially when drawn by Phil Jimenez) hot Ares looking like a Tom of Finland model, the Minotaur in the New 52 labyrinth, the designs of Paula von Gunther as Uberfraulein and Warmaster, the bondage elements of the Odyssey and biker costumes, stuff like that.
    Most of these aren't subtle either. Especially the biker costume which was clearly following the "bad girl" trend in comics of the 1990s.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-10-2023 at 08:20 PM.