Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Harleys joke sucked because it was Harley saying it after defeating Amazons, so it comes across as it being at their expense.

As long as it's not at their expense, I don't see why there is a need to run away or dread the reminders.
    Well in this case, it was written at their expense.

Even then, considering the less-reputable-history of how superhero comics have handled stuff like this and combined with how the Amazons are often depicted in a rather shallow way, especially outside Wonder Woman comics, I don't think addressing it is a high priority. Especially when this seems to be the only aspect of Amazon history or culture anyone seems to give a damn about. Not their religion, their ceremonies, literature, art, music, agriculture, anything that actually makes them feel like people.

Again, why are the reminders necessary at all? It's not like the internet let's us forget it. It's the equivalent of writers not shutting up about Power Girl's chest.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-11-2023 at 03:41 AM.

It's another instance to add to a long list of instances where Amazons are treated as either fodder or jobbers or both at the same time.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

That said, I will admit this is far from a bad showing for Wonder Woman.

I confess, ive no idea what the deal was with the plant creature that ambushed Big Barda and took her rod. Or how one of the Furies is supposed to figure into this whole thing.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    I confess, ive no idea what the deal was with the plant creature that ambushed Big Barda and took her rod. Or how one of the Furies is supposed to figure into this whole thing.
    Probably a magical defense system made by Magala or something? Wasn't she the one it mentioned?

Fantastic Member

The only ones who should be able to take down the Amazons with only their hands/bodies are Barda and Zealot. The rest would need powers (Black Canary) or weapons.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well in this case, it was written at their expense.
    Along with chumping them as warriors. So it's a lousy showing for the Amazons on multiple fronts.

Even then, considering the less-reputable-history of how superhero comics have handled stuff like this and combined with how the Amazons are often depicted in a rather shallow way, especially outside Wonder Woman comics, I don't think addressing it is a high priority. Especially when this seems to be the only aspect of Amazon history or culture anyone seems to give a damn about. Not their religion, their ceremonies, literature, art, music, agriculture, anything that actually makes them feel like people.
    It's not a high priority, but I don't know why we can't hope for the whole package with the Amazons instead of it being compartmentalized into less interesting versions.

Again, why are the reminders necessary at all? It's not like the internet let's us forget it. It's the equivalent of writers not shutting up about Power Girl's chest.
    My big question is why should the internet talking about it bother us at all? You can't fully remove the bondage elements from Wonder Woman. She's an inherently bizarre, campy character. Might as well own it instead of being embarrassed by it. It only sucks in this instance because it's coming from Harley, who has grown to be an obnoxious Scrappy in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytten View Post
    The only ones who should be able to take down the Amazons with only their hands/bodies are Barda and Zealot. The rest would need powers (Black Canary) or weapons.
    Harley Quinn has the biggest superpower in comics: being the embodiment of Batman-adjacent-character plot armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytten View Post
    Probably a magical defense system made by Magala or something? Wasn't she the one it mentioned?
    bop ama.jpg

Nope! Namedrops Megaera, the Fury cited for giving bronze age Fury her powers

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Along with chumping them as warriors. So it's a lousy showing for the Amazons on multiple fronts.

It's not a high priority, but I don't know why we can't hope for the whole package with the Amazons instead of it being compartmentalized into less interesting versions.

My big question is why should the internet talking about it bother us at all? You can't fully remove the bondage elements from Wonder Woman. She's an inherently bizarre, campy character. Might as well own it instead of being embarrassed by it. It only sucks in this instance because it's coming from Harley, who has grown to be an obnoxious Scrappy in general.
    Genuinely asking, what is the downside never bringing it up again?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-12-2023 at 12:52 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    bop ama.jpg

Nope! Namedrops Megaera, the Fury cited for giving bronze age Fury her powers
    That makes more sense. Well it could explain how Sin would be able to destroy Themyscira and the Amazons I guess.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Harley Quinn has the biggest superpower in comics: being the embodiment of Batman-adjacent-character plot armor.
    God yes. Absolutely hate that power.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Things would be a little more dull for the portions of the fanbase who like the queer camp baked into the franchise. There's only so much we can get out of just the "ancient warrior philosopher" stuff.

There's also no way it won't ever be brought up again. People know the history and why she was created. Why fight it? It's like people trying to fight the Adam West show being in Batman's history.

Marvel tries their hardest to ignore OMD but that doesn’t make it go away. The Internet ensures that part of her history will never fade from memory.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Marvel tries their hardest to ignore OMD but that doesn’t make it go away. The Internet ensures that part of her history will never fade from memory.
    OMD is a story whose effects are still felt to this day and was done for misguided reasons the fanbase disagreed with. Bondage hasn't mattered to the Wonder Woman books since Marston stopped writing her. These two are not the same thing.