Default Wasted Talent: Ignoring The Greats

I messaged a popular comic pro online. Someone who I will not name in this post. But he hasn't worked at Marvel in a long while. And the purpose of this thread is to discuss Marvel's treatment of their successful talent once they've no longer new, but are still as capable as ever. The guy I talked to seemed pretty resigned to the fact that Marvel didn't want him anymore, but would love to do a book if given the chance. And when you really think about it, how many greats are still capable but aren't getting work? Instead, we get people who are newer, but have little to no talent. People who have no idea what they're doing and don't know about the characters that they're writing. Yet, Marvel hires them over successful writers who would love to work again. I understand wanting new talent and all. But much of the new talent has no talent and the old talent still has plenty of stories. I heard Mark Millar mention that at the height of his fame at Marvel and he was thinking about doing Indies, Stan Lee encouraged him to do so because the comic industry will get rid of you when they feel like they don't need you anymore. And anyone who is writing a popular series is there on borrowed time. Which sucks. I also think some of it goes to people wanting to hire their friends and caring more about that than the quality of the comics. Editors need to be way harsher with what they get. Classic Marvel had very high standards. Now, it feels like those standards are no more and those who proved that they can write great stories aren't given the chance.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 11-07-2023 at 03:53 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!