Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I rather liked Cloak and Dagger's origin story as tragic and horrific as it was..."mutates" created by the drugs they were injected with. So I hope they never make them actual X-gene mutants.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I rather liked Cloak and Dagger's origin story as tragic and horrific as it was..."mutates" created by the drugs they were injected with. So I hope they never make them actual X-gene mutants.
    Too late , they already did in the 1990’s
    29C6F7B8-55CE-4ADC-9856-A57F4B076C87.jpg
    B766B698-5B00-4F89-941A-6E67DC912594.jpg
    BCB23109-0E0C-47B7-B4B2-ED0B75DC14A1.jpg

Astonishing Member

Honestly, for Cloak and Dagger I like the attitude Dagger seems to have about it in USM....to me it read like she was basically just shrugging and going eh, sometimes people say we're mutants, sometimes people say we're not, we honestly don't really care that much either way. We're just us.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    The story of the "malfunction" is that Priest misread that CAP story and thought it meant that Sam was a mutant. But as the story went on, it was eventually revealed that what Xavier had been sensing was that Sam had been altered by the Cosmic Cube.

So Priest wrote the story as the Sentinel ID'ing him as a mutant, and then someone -- Mark Gruenwald, maybe? I forget -- pointed out that Sam was given powers by the Red Skull, and Xavier's "might be a mutant" turned out to be "no, there's a different explanation." So that was covered either in-story or in the lettercol.

For all I know, it's been retconned since. But at the time of the Englehart CAP/FALC issues, Priest's FALCON mini-series and my AVENGERS annual, his powers came from the Cosmic Cube, which had been shown canonically in the comics. The possibility of him being a mutant was a red herring even when it was written -- it was foreshadowing for the true reveal.

kdb
    Thanks for making it make sense.

BTW, you are one of my all-time favorites.

I'll have to check my back issues but did they explain how Sunspot and Wolfsbane stole their powers?
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I'll have to check my back issues but did they explain how Sunspot and Wolfsbane stole their powers?
    IIRC it was because in an earlier issue of Marvel Team-Up, Sunspot and Wolfsbane were injected with a re-engineered version of the drug that gave Cloak and Dagger powers, this caused Sunspot and Wolfsbane’s powers to go out of control until Cloak and Dagger fixed them with their own powers which somehow led to them being able to steal those powers later.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Sam Wilson is a long time favorite, but I have not read every story he featured in. My understanding was that his ability to communicate with birds may have been from the x-gene, not the cosmic cube as many believed.

Iirc, Xavier was unsure if Sam was a mutant when they battled the secret empire.

Perhaps that Sentinel that pursued Sam was not totally malfunctioning.

I would be cool with C&D being mutants, along with Frankllin Richards and the Maximoff twins.
    That reminds me of a comment involving Steve Rogers (who'd been resurrected using the mutant protocols in Judgement Day) recently (in Sins of Sinister I think). There was talk of using the resurrection protocols to make non-mutants into mutants. "Captain America... mutant. Quite a statement don't you think?" Or something close to that. It would've been funny if Sam actually was a mutant all along, meaning there was already a mutant Captain America!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That reminds me of a comment involving Steve Rogers (who'd been resurrected using the mutant protocols in Judgement Day) recently (in Sins of Sinister I think). There was talk of using the resurrection protocols to make non-mutants into mutants. "Captain America... mutant. Quite a statement don't you think?" Or something close to that. It would've been funny if Sam actually was a mutant all along, meaning there was already a mutant Captain America!
    If they wanted to give Steve an new power, they could blame it on the mutant restructuring.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 11-12-2023 at 11:02 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Thanks for making it make sense.

BTW, you are one of my all-time favorites.
    Thanks!

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!