Amazing Member

Default Should 'event' comics be issued like boxed sets of TV shows?

recent tv shows have been released all at once , House of Cards , Daredevil.

Should 'event' storylines be done the same , would you read all of Secret Wars at once , or do you enjoy getting them monthly?

Would this format work?

I think it would , it would enable people to jump into events , and those comics that come out of them quicker , nd in todays society it would benefit from social media sharing those events , enticing someone into reading them in one hit.

isn't that pretty much an OGN?

It's a tricky question. If you're talking the main Event Title, those are frequently done as collected editions. If you're including any and every related crossover issue, then you start running into duplication problems because there could be a couple of issues of, say, Iron Man that are tied into an event, but wouldn't those stories likely to get included in an Iron Man collection as well?

True MajorHoy its a double edge sword because you can also have the opposite problem where issues arent collected for example infinity the only collection was the overside companion and the papebacks of the invidual titles but captain marvel and avengers assemble left out 4 issues so i have all of the event in paperback but have to get the hardcover for 4 issues that sucks
    Truth is the best policy

Black Vortex ran into this problem, as a lot of the tie-in issues, like Nova, All-New X-Men, Captain Marvel, Cyclops, etc. are being collected with their own series. Presumably also with a Black Vortex OHC, but that's going to be duplicative.

I personally prefer the medium of issues anyway, so one thing I might recommend is looking for bundles. Various comic-cons will bundle all of the issues of an event and sell them to you. I bought X-Termination that way (the crossover between Astonishing X-Men, X-Treme X-Men, and Age of Apocalypse from a few years back).

I feel like Daredevil can launch completed on Netflix pretty easily since people can watch episodes at their leisure and discussion will flow naturally.

I feel like Secret Wars launching completed would have a lot of comic fans flipping to the back so they could be the "first" to post about it online.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

I think the market is still more used to chapters as monthlies despite how many people wait on trades and how the story often reads better as a trade

Plus you'd have spoiler problems as someone who sits down and reads it all through then talks about the surprises to people who only read part way. I think the social media aspect actually works better when only a bit is out at a time. People come here each month or tweet "OMG" every month.

If you want an event series to be released all at once in a boxed set so people can "binge read" al at once, you have to decide if you're taking a regular comic book approach or going a different route. Are things that were mentioned like House of Cards and Daredevil released as sets before or after they first aired on cable? Should a "boxed set" of an event be available before or after the story was released to the general reading public in individual issues?

You could do that by making it clear this was designed to be released as a complete set first, with the option of individual issues to then follow, but sales numbers for those individual issues probably would be lower than if it was released as individual issues first. You could speed up the process by releasing the individual chapters on a weekly basis (like DC's recent Batman Eternal), or you could do another thing DC does by releasing it as a digital-first series with a clearly defined follow-up of releasing those chapters in a monthly print version. (Marvel has also gone digital in the past, but DC seems to be better when it comes to a clearly-defined digital first/print follow-up pattern.)

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Are things that were mentioned like House of Cards and Daredevil released as sets before or after they first aired on cable? Should a "boxed set" of an event be available before or after the story was released to the general reading public in individual issues?
    Those are both Netflix series, so they're release one season at a time, all eps the same day.

In my experience, this does have its drawbacks and well as plusses, as the people are quick to try to watch them all back to back and if they can't stand thirteen episodes of R-rated violence and tough talk with exact same characters straight in a row, declare the show repetitive or too long. It's not too long, it's just not designed for you to have to watch thirteen hours at a time. If you do that, traditionally, it's because you love the show already and have seen the eps already, and I think comics are the same. If you read an omnibus' worth of stories, it's because you already have familiarity with a good chunk of the material, it's not your first time in, and if it is, you don't binge the whole thing straight through as SOP.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Those are both Netflix series, so they're release one season at a time, all eps the same day.

In my experience, this does have its drawbacks and well as plusses, as the people are quick to try to watch them all back to back and if they can't stand thirteen episodes of R-rated violence and tough talk with exact same characters straight in a row, declare the show repetitive or too long. It's not too long, it's just not designed for you to have to watch thirteen hours at a time. If you do that, traditionally, it's because you love the show already and have seen the eps already, and I think comics are the same. If you read an omnibus' worth of stories, it's because you already have familiarity with a good chunk of the material, it's not your first time in, and if it is, you don't binge the whole thing straight through as SOP.
    [squint] I just realized who you are.

As for the OP's question...ehhh, maybe? Stuff like the internet could ruin it for some. On the other hand, those who tradewait would get it faster -- in theory, at least.

Marvel would probably make more releasing the monthly with the Hardcover and the tpb.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Marvel would probably make more releasing the monthly with the Hardcover and the tpb.
    All at the same time?