Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Creating a DC Space Event in Vein of Annihilation But With Some Restrictions

For those not familiar, Annihilation was a Marvel event from 2006 written by Keith Giffen. It was a story that highlighted several of Marvel's space-focused characters, many of which were rather obscure. I thought it would be a fun exercise to come up with a similar story idea for DC's space characters, with some restrictions.

* No Kryptonians or Daxamites. You can use other Superman related characters like Mongul or Maxima.

* No members of the Legion of Superheroes.

* No characters from the Emotional Spectrum.

* No New Gods characters.

* The only characters of Earth origin you can use are Adam Strange and Captain Comet.

* The only Thanagarian you can't use is Kendra Saunders.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-09-2023 at 03:14 AM.

So are we creating the event or the team?
    I’ll totally leave the event up to you, that’s not my thing really!

Characters I’d like to see involved would include

Captain Comet
    Space Cabbie
    The Weird
    Maxima
    Vartox
    Tanga
    Crush

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    So are we creating the event or the team?
    I’ll totally leave the event up to you, that’s not my thing really!

Characters I’d like to see involved would include

Captain Comet
    Space Cabbie
    The Weird
    Maxima
    Vartox
    Tanga
    Crush
    Each person can come up with both the event and the characters that will be featured. If you can think of only a plot or the character but not both, it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    For those not familiar, Annihilation was a Marvel event from 2006 written by Keith Giffen. It was a story that highlighted several of Marvel's space-focused characters, many of which were rather obscure. I thought it would be a fun exercise to come up with a similar story idea for DC's space characters, with some restrictions.

* No Kryptonians or Daxamites. You can use other Superman related characters like Mongul or Maxima.

* No members of the Legion of Superheroes. L.E.G.I.O.N. and R.E.B.E.L.S members are allowed.

* No characters from the Emotional Spectrum.

* No New Gods characters.

* The only characters of Earth origin you can use are Adam Strange and Captain Comet.

* The only Thanagarian you can't use is Kendra Saunders.
    Mmm, a challenge.

Ok, as Annihilation was an invasion lead by Annihillus and it was an invasion from the Negative zone, but it was basically a war. So we are talking about an space war. (And because doing an invasion from the Phantom zone would be too much lazy). Let's try this:

A dominator spaceship falls on a not alligned planet (a world either nto associated with any of the different space empires, maybe set on Vega) and under the excuse of such event procede to invade the planet, strategic for spaces routes. As the Dominion is part of the UP, they gave support to the invaders, but not every world of this alliance is on the support of the actions of the Dominion, so they send the Cometeers to investgate. The Kranaltine Empire oppose this and set their own forces against the invasion and send their own forces, the Superwatch, against them. Meanwhile, the invaded planet recruit the help of the Omega Men and the REBELS,as now Vril Dox had become a furious anachist, opposed to any form of organization. As battle ensues, the conflict could cause the break of the UP, unless the truth is discovered. But it was an fortuit element or it was planned by some else?

There. Are tose obscure characters enough?
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 11-10-2023 at 09:10 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Each person can come up with both the event and the characters that will be featured. If you can think of only a plot or the character but not both, it's fine.
    ^^^Good deal!
    I’ll stick w. my team. Good thread idea!

Incredible Member

I've been thinking of a "Annilhilation"-style event for years; DC's space mythos deserves more attention outside of the GLC.

The story would be Lady Styx declaring war on the United Planets, attacking multiple planets at once, and stretching the Lantern Corps to breaking point. Certain Alien Conquerors and dictators also take the chaos as an opportunity to seize control.

My dream team would be:

Adam Strange, Captain Comet, Maxima, Lobo, Starman (Will Payton/ Prince Gravyn), J'emm and Space Cabbie

Big Bad; Lady Styx,
    Recurring villains: Kanjar Ro/ Hyathis, Ma'alefa'ak, Despero and Blackfire

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Desparo tired of losing comes up with a new plan. He enslaves Starro and using his ability to take over people starts taking over planets amassing an ever growing army. Before they can mount any kind of deffense teh Starro horde sweeps over the fledgling United Planets decimating it killing all its leaders and it high powered protectors leaving the galaxy defenseless (thereby getting rid of one of the dumbest ideas Bendis came up with making the United Planets a modern thing). Captain Comet barely escapes and flees to find Vril Dox. Together they start gathering allies and warning other races about the Starro Horde as they gather allies and try to plan defences. With the warning going out its all out war on multiple worlds as they desperatly try and beat back the horde. Thanagar, Rann, Rimbor, Durla, Khund, the Vega cluster, and others all under siege (which lets us see other heroes fighting on different fronts). Finally Dox realizes that someone is controlling the Starro's besides Starro Prime. With a taske force of gathered heroes Captain Comet tracks down Desparo. Desparo has also used Starro to take over powerful minions like Mongul, Blackfire, Evil Star, Flicker, Efigy, and a few others In an all out battle Desparo is defeated but the galaxy is a mess which leads Dox to reform L.E.G.I.O.N. to try and help stabalize the mess left over.

Captian Comets strike team:

Captain Comet
    Maxima (missing presumed dead after the final battle)
    Lady Quark (killed in the final battle)
    Lobo
    Luma Lynai (killed in the final battle)
    Ultraa
    Hyperman (killed in the final battle)
    Prince Gavyn

(They could do one shot tie in issues of Hawkman, Omega Men, L.E.G.I.O.N., Hardcore Station, showing others heroes in the fight)
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 11-10-2023 at 01:15 PM.

I would use the Reach in this story, somehow. Though Jaime being of earth origin means I can’t use him… guess I’ll just create a new scarab warrior (a pink one!)
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

All right, since Annihilation was taking a character who was primarily a Fantastic Four villain and turning him into an A-list threat, I'd do the same here. The villain in mind? Starbreaker.

Starbreaker has taken his energy vampirism to a new level, to where he's drained entire civilizations of their energy and, for some members of those civilizations, "turned" them to be creatures similar to him, but subservient to his command. Now, Starbreaker and his legions are draining entire suns, depleting systems of their energy source and leaving a massive cosmic graveyard in his wake. But despite all of this power, he cannot forget his constant defeats at the hands of the Justice League. So now, he's turned his armies towards the source of his pain...Earth. Along the way he encounters a wayfaring White Martian, who sacrifices itself to get a telepathic warning out to anyone can hear it. And though the message is faint, it's effective enough to reach a few people, who start the wheels turning and assemble a group to defeat Starbreaker, whatever the cost, before he and his forces can reach our solar system.

That team is:
    Jemm, Son of Saturn
    Captain Comet
    Starfire (the original, non-Teen Titans one)
    Munchukk (of the Darkstars)
    Solaar (of the Vanguard)
    Tigorr
    Chief Justice Max
    Queen Bee (Zazzala)

No L.E.G.I.O.N.? They're pretty obscure and rarely get to appear. Even after the new United Planets thing, they're still in limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    All right, since Annihilation was taking a character who was primarily a Fantastic Four villain and turning him into an A-list threat, I'd do the same here. The villain in mind? Starbreaker.

Starbreaker has taken his energy vampirism to a new level, to where he's drained entire civilizations of their energy and, for some members of those civilizations, "turned" them to be creatures similar to him, but subservient to his command. Now, Starbreaker and his legions are draining entire suns, depleting systems of their energy source and leaving a massive cosmic graveyard in his wake. But despite all of this power, he cannot forget his constant defeats at the hands of the Justice League. So now, he's turned his armies towards the source of his pain...Earth. Along the way he encounters a wayfaring White Martian, who sacrifices itself to get a telepathic warning out to anyone can hear it. And though the message is faint, it's effective enough to reach a few people, who start the wheels turning and assemble a group to defeat Starbreaker, whatever the cost, before he and his forces can reach our solar system.

That team is:
    Jemm, Son of Saturn
    Captain Comet
    Starfire (the original, non-Teen Titans one)
    Munchukk (of the Darkstars)
    Solaar (of the Vanguard)
    Tigorr
    Chief Justice Max
    Queen Bee (Zazzala)
    ^^^This is the bomb!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    No L.E.G.I.O.N.? They're pretty obscure and rarely get to appear. Even after the new United Planets thing, they're still in limbo.
    L.E.G.I.O.N. can be used. I stated this in the opening post.

Ultimate Member

Every suggestion so far has had elements or characters I want! Adam Strange and Captain Comet, yes! Starman, Lady Quark and Queen Bee, yes!

But even more than Queen Bee, then I'd love to see Blackfire in the Super-Skrull role of being the traditional bad-guy who fights on the side of the angels, this week. Ruthlessly. She's no hero, by any means, but *nobody* threatens what she thinks of as 'hers!' (Even if most of the current Tamaranean population, wherever they are, don't think of her as their ruler.)

Queen Bee has fun potential to be the threat, and not a member of the group.

Infestation!

A few years back, a new technology spread throughout the galaxy. An exo-harness that provided limited life support, enhanced strength for heavy work, moderate protection from it's chitin breastplate and, in special models, even delicate-looking colorful transparent fluttery wings allowing limited flight. Since it's bio-tech, it even repairs itself if provided nutrients! And, oh yes, despite many checks and verifications that it's safe, a signal went out recently that caused everyone wearing it to mutate into a Zazyl drone under the command of Queen Bee! She now has many thousands of loyal troops, augmenting her own invasion force of drones, made up of converted members of the planetary populations she's attacking, that she uses as 'human shields,' since the world's she's conquering will have to blow away many of their own (subverted) people to get to her own drones, and not everyone is as bloodthirsty as it takes to make this decision as quickly as it needs to be made.

Our heroes can attempt to fight the waves of drones, but she's attacking multiple worlds, and the heroes can't be everywhere. They determine that they have to find the source of this mysterious signal that triggered the change, and find a way to reverse it, freeing her subverted 'drones' and giving the worlds she is overrunning a chance to fight back in earnest!

Love the ideas and miss more cosmic DC.

But DC did do a similar, what at the time felt like a lesser but competing idea, with the Rann-Thanagar War in 2005.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rann–Thanagar_War

I'm not sure that I understand why there are restrictions? From what I remember Annihilation used pretty much everyone.