Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Lightbulb Guessing the MCU Champions/YA roster

[SPOILERS FOR THE MARVELS AND OTHERS]

So The Marvels made it even clearer that they're setting up a young team, probably inspired by the Champions and Young Avengers.
    In one of the post-credits scenes, spoilers:
    Kamala tries to recruit Kate Bishop for a team, mentioning that she has already talked to Cassie Lang.
    end of spoilers
    So this basically gives us the basis for a team merging YA and Champions, as many have been speculating for years.

So if they're really taking inspiration from both teams, I think we have enough information to start guessing what the final roster could look like.

"Confirmed" members:
    - Ms. Marvel
    - Kate Bishop
    - Cassie Lang

Other Young Avengers characters who have already been introduced to the MCU:
    - America Chavez
    - Patriot (not a hero yet)
    - Billy & Tommy (not heroes yet)
    - Kid Loki (AU variant)

Other Champions who have already been introduced to the MCU
    - Ironheart (very likely addition to the team)
    - Falcon II (I don't see him fitting in, though)
    - Nadia/Hope (too old in the MCU)

New or Legacy MCU characters
    - Love (Thor's daughter)
    - Skaar
    - The Iron Man 3 kid
    - Shuri (but she's probably joining The Avengers)
    - Yelena (joining The Thunderbolts already)

Young Avengers who are still missing from the MCU
    - Hulkling (Sadly, since Marvel missed many logical opportunities to introduce him, like Secret Invasion and The Marvels, it's looking like they're avoiding Teddy)
    - Iron Lad (could be interesting for the Kang connection, but Kang is in a tricky place right now)
    - Jonas Vision (probably not very likely to be introduced, especially with the White Vision stuff still left unresolved)
    - Noh-Varr (unlikely addition, at least as an early member)
    - Prodigy (unlikely addition, at least as an early member)

Champions who are still missing from MCU
    - Miles Morales (it may be too soon to introduce him, as Tom Holland is still pretty young)
    - Brawn
    - Nova II
    - Viv Vision (unlikely)
    - Teen Cyclops (unlikely addition)
    - Power Man (unlikely to be added soon)
    - Snowguard (unlikely to be added soon
    - Bombshell (unlikely to be added soon)
    - Patriot II (unlikely to be added soon)
    - Locust (unlikely to be added soon)
    - Pinpoint (unlikely to be added soon)

Given all this, who are your guesses? I probably got some things wrong, so be patient LOL
    Last edited by Factor; 11-10-2023 at 10:14 AM.

My guesses:

- Ms. Marvel
    - Kate Bishop
    - Cassie Lang
    +
    - Ironheart (the easiest IM legacy)
    - Patriot (best option for Cap legacy, IMO)
    - Wiccan (Agatha's series is probably setting things up for him and Speed)
    - Speed (I could see them giving him the Quicksilver codename, though)
    - Skaar (they probably want a Hulk-like character, but at this point, it looks like Disney will avoid Hulkling because they don't want their most prominent gay couple to be together, so they'll probably add that terrible-looking MCU Skaar instead.)

Maybes:
    - America Chavez (she'd be very likely, but I don't think general audiences were impressed enough to guarantee her spot in a potentially crowded team.)
    - Love (I hope she isn't included, but I wouldn't put it past Marvel to add an annoying new character like her instead of a fan favorite from the comics)
    - Kid Loki (he could be a safer and more popular choice for a Thor legacy)

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post

So The Marvels made it even clearer that they're setting up a young team, probably inspired by the Champions and Young Avengers.
    In one of the post-credits scenes,
    So this basically gives us the basis for a team merging YA and Champions, as many have been speculating for years.

So if they're really taking inspiration from both teams, I think we have enough information to start guessing what the final roster could look like.

"Confirmed" members:
    - Ms. Marvel
    - Kate Bishop
    - Cassie Lang

- America Chavez
    - Kid Loki (AU variant)

- Love (Thor's daughter)
    - Skaar
    - The Iron Man 3 kid

- Hulkling (Sadly, since Marvel missed many logical opportunities to introduce him, like Secret Invasion and The Marvels, it's looking like they're avoiding Teddy)
    - Iron Lad (could be interesting for the Kang connection, but Kang is in a tricky place right now)
    - Jonas Vision (probably not very likely to be introduced, especially with the White Vision stuff still left unresolved)

- Miles Morales (it may be too soon to introduce him, as Tom Holland is still pretty young)
    - Brawn
    - Nova II

Given all this, who are your guesses? I probably got some things wrong, so be patient LOL
    You omitted Viv Vision from the Champions missing members list - though she has the same problem as Jonas anyway.

The MCU Nova Corps don't have powers, so neither Rich nor Sam are likely to appear at all - especially now that Guardians of the Galaxy seems to be finished.

Brawn's mother was in Avengers Age of Ultron, yet he wasn't even mentioned. The problem Amadeus has is that Hulk still can't have a solo film. And Bruce probably wants to avoid a repeat of She-Hulk's origin.

Hulkling's origin is impossible due to Mar-Vell's gender switch and her death in the 90s - they could fix it by having Genis already exist by then and him being Teddy's father, but I do suspect Skaar will be the substitute for Teddy and Amadeus.

I agree about Falcon, Joaquin seems to be older than in the comics because he's military, so he'd be out of place here. Wasp, as you say, is ruled out for the same reason, though Cassie's powers are basically the same anyway, so it'd be redundant to have them together (that's why when Cassie appeared in Nadia's solo book, she was there without her helmet, thus limiting her to her old Stature powers, which Nadia hadn't yet learned to emulate, rather than the Stinger upgrade).

Outside of Kamala and Riri, it's probably going to be a mostly Young Avengers line-up, but with Kamala as the leader and founder, it'll be called the Champions.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 11-10-2023 at 09:40 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Outside of Kamala and Riri, it's probably going to be a mostly Young Avengers line-up, but with Kamala as the leader and founder, it'll be called the Champions.
    Marvel might be hungry enough to use the Young Avengers name as a draw, even if the team has a Champion or two front and center.

So far, I'm seeing a lot of girl-power, which is neat, but seems less likely. Sure, it won't be as gender-lopsided as the average Avengers or Justice League line-up of 'a bunch of dudes and one chick,' but having Cassie, Kate, Kamala, America and Riri on the team leaves two slots on the 'standard seven' team for boys, which could be filled by Billy and Tommy.

OTOH, still holding out for that super-slim chance that 'Skaar' is lying (perhaps even to Bruce! Or maybe Bruce is in on it and just helping smuggle him off of Sakar?) about his parentage, because he knows that he's a target for extremists of all sorts if he reveals that he's actually half-Kree and half-Skrull...

Skaar being Dorrek-Vell in disguise would certainly explain the Hulkling name though. In the comics it stopped making sense once it was revealed he wasn't a Hulk, but he never changed it unlike some of his teammates (like Wiccan, who started as Asgardian while pretending to be a Thor legacy).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Skaar being Dorrek-Vell in disguise would certainly explain the Hulkling name though. In the comics it stopped making sense once it was revealed he wasn't a Hulk, but he never changed it unlike some of his teammates (like Wiccan, who started as Asgardian while pretending to be a Thor legacy).
    That 'Asgardian' quip that prompted Billy to change his name at the end of the original series was one of the only times I've laughed out loud at a comic book. Just remembering Eli snickering in the background as Kate says it has me smiling even now.

Haven't seen The Marvels yet but I've heard about the zinger.

So, I figure on top of the three characters confirmed to be involved...

Ironheart. Very high odds. Folks seemed to like how she was handled in Wakanda Forever even if they thought she shouldn't have been in the film. Plus it gets another Iron person into the MCU which might help Marvel's rep right now, as well as the box office. I'd bet good money Riri gets involved, maybe even by the next post-credit setup. Plus there's no way they introduce Riri and not use her here.

America Chavez. Higher-than-average odds. Strange 2 wasn't the most popular film around, and folks didn't love the way America was adapted, but that's never stopped Marvel in the past and they can always do better the next time around. Audiences seemed to like the actress, even if they didn't love how the character was handled. And putting America in a Strange film is such an off the wall, weird fit, I can only think they used her to set her up for this.

Billy & Tommy. Even odds. Their inclusion feels a little awkward. You gotta jump through some multiverse hoops to involve them, Wanda's presumed dead, and the age difference is noticeable (though by the time the team assembles it might be less pronounced)....it's not impossible to get Wiccan and Speed in (and I agree he'd probably go by Quicksilver here) but it might end up being more effort than Marvel thought it would be. But this is the multiverse Saga so it could easily go their way.

Spider-Man. Is Spidey-4 confirmed or just rumor?
    * Miles. Low odds. It'd be cool to get Miles into the MCU, but I don't think the time is right. Yet.
    * Parker. Higher-than-average odds. Holland's Parker has proven to be a billion dollar hit. We have yet to explore the new status quo where nobody remembers him. Parker is older than almost anyone here, and more experienced, putting him in a position of authority that would be new territory for him but with the complication that everyone thinks he's a rookie too. Don't see any reason why Marvel wouldn't want to use him here, so if Holland is game and Sony signs the contract I think this is more likely than not.

Hulkling. Very low odds. However!
    * Skaar. Very high odds IF Wiccan shows up, lower-than-average odds if not. The son of Banner is a bigger draw than the son of Mar-Vell, and this would have to be her grandson, at that. I figure Skaar will just take over Hulkling's role on the team. But if there's no Wiccan then I think Skaar's odds drop.

Iron Lad. Higher-than-average odds. This is the multiverse saga and the big bad is Kang. If Fiege wants Champions/Young Avengers to connect to the wider story, Iron Lad is a really good way to do it.

Kid Loki. Higher-than-average odds. For all the same reasons as Iron Lad, I won't be surprised at all to see Kid Loki if this movie ties itself to the Kang stuff. And America being a likely member gives the team an easy mechanic for getting into the multiverse. I dunno if we'd get both kid Kang and kid Loki in the same film, one or the other seems the likely option to me, but I suspect we'll get at least one of them.

Patriot. Lower-than-average odds. Maybe Cap4 sets this kid up, maybe it doesn't, but I don't get the sense that Marvel is in a huge rush to push this character out there. I dunno how many super soldiers Marvel is comfortable with and we already have Bucky, Sam (not technically a super soldier but still Captain America), Red Guardian, and maybe a couple others. It's a crowded field.

Nova. Even odds at best. Whether it's Sam Alexander or a young Richard Rider, rumor was we were getting a Nova one-shot on D+. Nova 'could' find a place with the Champions/Young Avengers, but could just as easily end up in a different corner of the MCU. If he appears at all.

Viv Vision. Even odds. We don't know what Vision has been up to since leaving Westview, it's entirely possible he built a family for himself. And Vision is/was supposed to be getting a show of his own, which could introduce her. But there's a chunk of characters already in the MCU who would fit nicely here, so Viv might have to wait for a sequel or something.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

It's unlikely Spider-Man is gonna a part of this roster.
    Since Strange's spell erased everyone's memories of Peter's identity Kamala and the others wouldn't know he's in their age range, and the spell only erased memories of Peter Parker not Spider-Man so no one would think he's a rookie they'd know he's an experienced Avenger.

And it's not unlikely they use Patriot on the team, they already introduced him and Isaiah Bradley is set to be in Brave New World, depending on what happens in the movie they can easily write in Eli needing a blood transfusion from his grandfather.

Spectacular Member

Rumored lineup.

America Chavez, Wiccan, Cassie Lang, Ms. Marvel, Kate Bishop and Ironheart.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane D View Post
    Rumored lineup.

America Chavez, Wiccan, Cassie Lang, Ms. Marvel, Kate Bishop and Ironheart.
    I don't really see them having only one guy in the team. Especially after The Marvels flops.

Spectacular Member

I don't really see them having only one guy in the team. Especially after The Marvels flops.
    Rumored lineup before the release of The Marvels. Also let's be honest, Young Avengers is going to flop anyway.

Even before the Marvels, they'd already introduced Eli Bradley in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. We're 100 percent getting Patriot on the team.

In one of the post-credits scenes, spoilers:
    Kamala tries to recruit Kate Bishop for a team, mentioning that she has already talked to Cassie Lang.
    end of spoilers

"Confirmed" members:
    - Ms. Marvel
    - Kate Bishop
    - Cassie Lang

- America Chavez
    - Kid Loki (AU variant)

- Love (Thor's daughter)
    - Skaar
    - The Iron Man 3 kid

- Brawn
    - Nova II
    - Viv Vision (unlikely)

Don’t discount Pinpoint so quickly. The MCU is in dire need of Indian Subcontinent characters.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

With Marvels looking like a bomb this project might be in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Even before the Marvels, they'd already introduced Eli Bradley in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. We're 100 percent getting Patriot on the team.
    Lol, I know right! Kind of weird how folks are just willy nilly pushing his odds low when he was clearly identified in their show. On top of the fact Eli start off as a leader of YA.