Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default David Zaslav ...KILLS WB Games ! (with his stupidity)

This past year Warner Bros Games had one of its biggest hits in video game history. In the 11 month period , WB Games has seen Hogwarts Legacy sell 15 million copies on release. Hogwarts Legacy , a single player RPG has generated over $1+ billion in profits for WB Games.

In 2023 no game attracted attention and sold more than Hogwarts Legacy. A smart CEO would say , I need more games like Hogwarts Legacy and how it was done for my IPS.

David Zaslav is not a smart man.

https://fandomwire.com/wb-live-service-games/

Its the idea to jump into Live Service games as all evidence seems to point at the industry for it dying. With just a few exceptions games like Marvel Avengers , Anthem and more have shut down essentially and not worked. The outcry the last few years from the gaming fanbase is pretty clear...

WE ...DO...NOT....WANT...LIVE...SERVICE...GAMES.

Fans were generally excited at the thought of Suicide Squad Kills the Justice League in 2023. But one announcement KILLED that faster than I can type this. It was the announcement the game would be Live Service.

It takes a real clueless f-ck to sit and not read the room and not realize how badly live service games have failed. Then deciding to buckle down on something that's dying and neglect what the audience really wants. Clueless.

Fans want more Batman Arkham , instead what they will get is a live service model Batman game that will suck so David Zaslav can sit aroused as he sees dollar signs fly by the 1st few weeks/months. Then sit and go...why isn't anyone playing this game ? What went wrong ? Why is it bombing now ?

I picture Zaslav screaming like the Duke's from Trading Places....

But its not gonna get too far I'm sure.

See if anyone missed it Comcast finished selling its part of HULU to Disney. This was supposed to happen once Disney bought 21st Century Fox in 2019. They agreed to buy that piece of Hulu then in 2024.

Well Comcast asked if Disney can purchase Hulu sooner and do the buyout now. Disney agreed to do this and got the deal done quickly as Comcast wanted.

The big belief is ....Comcast is gonna go after Warner Bros Discovery. Comcast/Universal has the money and the rumors are WBD will be selling in 2 years.

And its not like Zaslav can hold off a sale with brilliant business strategy. Thus far his dumping movies and TV may have saved some money. But it reduced the value of Warner Bros Discovery. And could open a big company to come in with a buyout.

In all we can only hope someone buys WBD and removes a huy who doesn't know what he's doing.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

What kills me about this announcement is that Suicide Squad got delay by another year to address the negative reception of it being a live service. Zaslav wants to double down on the losing strategy. WB games tried live service and failed. Back 4 Blood died within a year, Multiversus didn't even last its first year. Gotham Knights removed their live service elements once they saw how bad Avengers was. There's enough failures from WB itself to show this is a bad move.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    What kills me about this announcement is that Suicide Squad got delay by another year to address the negative reception of it being a live service. Zaslav wants to double down on the losing strategy. WB games tried live service and failed. Back 4 Blood died within a year, Multiversus didn't even last its first year. Gotham Knights removed their live service elements once they saw how bad Avengers was. There's enough failures from WB itself to show this is a bad move.
    Zaslav is a money driven moron. Remember his strategy to cut debt , which hurt the company's value and one Wallstreet man said it would open the company to a hostile takeover type buyout at some point. Which its rumored its gonna be Comcast.

He thinks "live service" equals money , but once the prices come in to keep those live service games afloat , the negative reaction and dwindling sales he will take a major hit.

No one wants Suicide Squad now. The chatter on FB and more have basically been F-CK THIS GAME and F--CK WB GAMES.

Guy had a huge colossal sales hit with Hogwarts Legacy , saw that and decided this wasn't getting him enough buckeroos comically lol.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Ultimate Member

Everything Zaslav is doing really does appear out of desperation.

WB is in something of a hole (despite Barbie making billions) and they're looking for how to generate funds in any way possible.

Even if it means gutting completed movies for tax write-offs or going full steam into live service gaming (which IMO is the opposite of what they should be doing).

Yesterday on their YouTube channel Rocksteady unveiled the Suicide Squad kill the Justice League gameplay trailer.

A game full of live service junk from micro transactions to battle passes.

90% of the comments are negative. Telling the studio they won’t buy the game and how pathetic this is to waste Kevin Conroys last performance on this horse sh-t.

WB has so alienated the people buying this…the game seems dead on arrival.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

And now there’s solid evidence that Wonder Woman will have live service elements too. It’s like David is not remembering how much loathing the end game micro transactions pissed off people with Monoliths previous game Shadow of War. Or more likely doesn’t care.

I really think Warner and Disney might be purposely making themselves look crap so that Apple or Comcast are more likely to buy them so David can get that sweet cash and peace out.

Apparently there's a 60% chance that WB files for bankruptcy

https://fxtwitter.com/ooccouchgags/s...GKrF28vRw4_ZRQ

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Everything Zaslav is doing really does appear out of desperation.

WB is in something of a hole (despite Barbie making billions) and they're looking for how to generate funds in any way possible.

Even if it means gutting completed movies for tax write-offs or going full steam into live service gaming (which IMO is the opposite of what they should be doing).
    In some cases I wonder if the tax write-offs are worth a fraction of the overall budget and this is also pissing off a lot of a lot of top and talented writers, directors, actors, and producers who are supposedly cancelling meetings with WBD because of this tax write-off crap. To be fair other studios and networks are doing this as well but not seemingly to the degree that WBD is.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Kill the Justice League’s story has massively leaked because of the alpha tests and it’s sounds god awful. Won’t spoil it but lord is it bad. Thankfully it sounds like the whole thing is designed to essentially Flashpoint/New 52 the Arkhamverse anyway…

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    In some cases I wonder if the tax write-offs are worth a fraction of the overall budget and this is also pissing off a lot of a lot of top and talented writers, directors, actors, and producers who are supposedly cancelling meetings with WBD because of this tax write-off crap. To be fair other studios and networks are doing this as well but not seemingly to the degree that WBD is.
    They've done it so much they might get investigated over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Kill the Justice League’s story has massively leaked because of the alpha tests and it’s sounds god awful. Won’t spoil it but lord is it bad. Thankfully it sounds like the whole thing is designed to essentially Flashpoint/New 52 the Arkhamverse anyway…
    People have been raging at WB today and the game is pretty much DOA. They won't be able to recover from this one. The fact they are now promising to add a single player campaign that doesn't require the "always live" model coming after , shows how bad they guessed wrong.

Sony saw how bad Warner Bros Discovery and Zaslav guessed wrong with the marketplace on live service games and they yesterday decided Naughty Dog will not do a live service multiplayer game. Pledging to now only do single player games.

There's talk about WBD and Paramount merging

https://deadline.com/2023/12/warner-...ks-1235679104/

Wait, a possible WBD and Paramount merging would mean that WB games could make TMNT games.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Mighty Member

Warner really has had the worst luck over the past decade or so...

This is probably the worst as I would have expected the company behind Discover, a publishing house would help propel DC, but instead it seems the comics have been largely (and thankfully untouched).

The silly thing is, no one seems to have learned that live services don't actually do all that well. Look at Avengers, I'm pretty sure the marketing for that game lasted longer than the game itself. I bought it on the final week sale, played it for a few hours and grew bored because if you take away the live service model, you just get a very mediocre game.

The only live service games that survived were the ones who got there first, and even then, it took a game like Destiny to release a second instalment and a few years to get there.
    The game is dead on arrival because People like single player games. They sell well and you can sell DLC for them at a later date.

There’s just going to be fewer studios releasing even less varied films then ever, at least until some tech bro billionaire inevitably tries to launch entirely AI generated “content” in the face of crushing public indifference.